Car gun reliability

Nah, don't worry about it. I'd be more worried about theft, lubrication, and corrosion resistance.

Some handloaders like to tumble their finished rounds for 20 or 30 minutes (but not usually in a magazine).

There just isn't a lot of room for rounds to wiggle around inside of a well designed magazine. If you had a semi/rimmed chambering and a defective magazine, perhaps. But then you'd probably have problems with it regardless.

No.

As an extreme example of vehicle movement, I'll mention a mode of transportation I once had. I was a TC on an M48A3 tank in Vietnam. The crew and I all had issued M1911A1 pistols and ball ammo. Travel over severe terrain, firing the main gun, vibration, etc. had no effect whatsoever on ammunition, magazines, or reliability of our pistols. In civilian life, I spent some decades as a police officer. Again, vehicle movement had no effect whatsoever on ammunition in magazines or pistol reliability....ymmv

Never had such an issue with a "car gun."

However, if I was worried about it, I'd have to say that the Glock 19 mags (not familiar with other Glock mags) are, in my opinion, the most reliable stock, out-of-the-box mags I've ever used in more than 30 years of using semi-automatic handguns. Like I said, just my opinion, but there it is.

The other question is whether this gun is going to live in secure storage within the vehicle or if you'll be taking it in at night. I think radical temperature changes or humidity in some climates might be more of a concern. Given that "on our person" can be warm, wet, and salty in some of those climates; I've adopted the policy of shooting up my carry ammo every so often and giving the gun a good clean and lube. Any of the concerns here are more likely to be caused in the long term. General care and maintenance is a good hedge.

Given that "on our person" can be warm, wet, and salty in some of those climates; I've adopted the policy of shooting up my carry ammo every so often and giving the gun a good clean and lube. Any of the concerns here are more likely to be caused in the long term. General care and maintenance is a good hedge.
Good advice here and I would add, "frequent" to the reference to maintenance. Best Regards, Rod

Back