Car Carry: Under Seat?

There's too much stuff under the driver's seat any more with electric this and that I wouldn't feel comfortable being able to feel around and retrieve the gun while strapped in

TBM900. Good to know that a "sharp yank" of my Jeep console would access my handgun. From time to time I forget to unlock the console in the morning. A locked up handgun seems pretty worthless should you need it.
Thanks.
.02. David. :)

FWIW to those who don't already know....

Many manufactures make adapters for their holsters that are designed to mount permanently, these are often perfect for vehicle use.

Im a big fan of Ghost Holsters and use the Ghost III for my Steyr A1's, they make a car module that Ive bolted in several vehicles. I can press one button and detach the entire holster from my belt, then snap it right into the vehicle, then when I get out I just pop it off and snap it back onto the module still on my belt.

In most instances I have it low on the dash where it is almost entirely out of view, yet i can easily access it without shifting my body. Otherwise everything gets locked in a safe bolted to the vehicle.

http://ghostinternational.com/en/portfolio-items/modulo-scrivania-auto/?portfolioCats=62

I use a Stack-On gun lock box when I must lock my Glocks in my car. I have the cable permanently looped around the front seat bracket of the front seat and the cable is tucked under the front seat of my car. The lock box is kept in the car trunk until I need to use it.

Stack-On PC-95K portable case with key lock - internal 8.5x6x1.5 inches. My Glock 17 and 30 fits perfectly. $26 on Amazon.

The Hornady 98152 Security Tri-Point lock box i(Amazon $32) is also good but it is a little larger than the Stack-On that I use.

I purchased a third party 1/4 inch braided steel security cable to take the place of the thinner cable that comes with most of these lock boxes. I had to use a file to make the cable notch in the Stack On box a little larger to accommodate the quarter inch cable.

I purchased the cable from tufnut.com, 800.227.0949. The part # is LPSC3LS lock box tether, 3 foot with loop at $3.40. This is a very good cable at a very good price. I also bought a second cable to use with the lock box in hotels, etc. I don’t think most thiefs carry dremels or bolt cutters when breaking into cars as they want a quick break-in with no delay or trouble.

When I need to secure the gun I lock it in the Stack-On box with the cable and slide everything under the front car seat. If a thief looks into the car the box is hidden under the front seat and is not seen.

I also use the metal cable combination lock safe under the seat or a PacSafe travel safe under the seat. The seats on my Toyota Tacoma are so low to the floor that the metal safe sticks out around an inch from under the seat and the PacSafe fits completely under the seat, being a secure bag.

I have a CCW permit and my 9mm Shield rides vertically in my console in a pocket holster velcroed to the inside of the console.

I have a CCW permit and my 9mm Shield rides vertically in my console in a pocket holster velcroed to the inside of the console.

I actually have a holster Velcroed to my console as well, which isn’t where I keep my CCW while driving. It’s a good set up, for sure.

Back