Cap & Ball: Preferred Commercial Lube

Hey folks. Sorry if my OP wasn’t clear I was initially asking about lubricants to use on the arbor and other mechanical parts. However, I have found all the discussions interesting and informative. Again, new to black powder shooting, so appreciative off all the information I can get.

Any lube will work inside the action. Inside the bore and chambers you want something vegetable based. Some of the synthetics are ok and less processed stuff like paraffin works as a mix for bullet lube. I wont use heavy petro based grease anywhere because it won't clean up with water. I tried it once and wont ever do it again.

If you are talking about mechanical lubrication of the mechanisms of the firearm, pretty much any lube will do. I use white lithium grease as it does not run or evaporate.

However, I rub down the gun with Ballistol, mostly because I already clean with it. Any gun oil would work also.

Steve

lithium grease

I was told my the manufacturer that had some good stuff, they claimed it had lithium, marlex and a dampening, cushioning, shock absorbing agent added and I was impressed until I found the miracle additive was lead.

F. Guffey

SPG is great stuff for pan lubing bullets when reloading cartridges or lubing the arbor or cylinder pin on your cap and ball revolver and lubing over the powder wads.

I actually don't mind the smell.

I've never tried anything else and so I'm curious what makes others better. It seemed it had to do with more than just the cost.

I can't say anything is better. For a one product does all it's hard to beat but soapy water cleans just as good and maybe a little better/faster and for a lot less money. To me it smells like licorice on steroids and I hate licorice. Even if it were a dime a gallon I wouldn't use it for that reason alone.

I also use warm soapy water and liquid dish soap to clean. I use Ballistol as an oil/lubricant. I've made Moose Milk but haven't tried it yet.

Back