Can't Verify Springfield Armory TRP testing

The Springfield Armory Professional Model is a custom made handgun manufactured in Springfield Armory's Custom Shop to extremely precise specifications.

"Custom made" is a bit misleading. These guns are only 'custom made' in the sense that a gunsmith spends more time fitting some of the parts.
It says "custom" on the slide, but it really isn't a 'custom made' gun. It is a production gun made to some tight standards specified by Springfield, not by the customer, (hence not a custom made product and not advertised as such). So each one has some more time spent with it by a smith, which is great and makes for a very good product. It is 'custom made' just like every other one of that model that they made to their specs, not the customer's specs.

Hi Double Naught,

Your analysis is probably right. I've never delved in to its production in detail. I can tell you that it is extremely precise in its fitting.

I dropped well over 3K on a Professional Model that I've yet to load let alone shoot. I'm perfectly content with my TRP. I did replace its rod guide with a GI plug.

Hi Jim Watson,

The 50,000 round guarantee (not test) on the Professional (at twice the price) is just a piece of paper. The gun breaks, they fix or replace it. I doubt it included firing the assembler or any other draconian penalty. It apparently applies only to actual government contract pistols. The regular SA guarantee is "lifetime" but has a lot of exceptions like "normal wear and tear." "Sorry, sir, the guarantee has expired, its lifetime is obviously over."

That is probably where I got the 50K test. It might just be that it referred to a guarantee as opposed to a test. Relying upon my memory of years ago when I was researching the TRP model, however, I thought the 50k round was a test preformed on a TRP.

The reality is I'll never come close to firing that many rounds through it.

More reality, my guess preference is all the separates high-quality brands of 1911-A1. We all have our favorite brands of guns. While I love my TRP, it would be merely my opinion to write that it's better than another high-quality 1911-A1 brand. The fact that I got an excellent deal on a brand new TRP had a lot to do with buying it.

Back