Can't Verify Springfield Armory TRP testing

Sanch

The Springfield Armory TRP .45 ACP is an excellent factory production handgun.

I've heard Hickok 45 say in a video that the TRP withstood a 50k round test. I have read of it surviving incredible torture tests. The problem is I can't verify those claims. I've tried to find US military and law enforcement TRP tests to no avail. Such test results could be accepted as valid. The problem is I can't find credible sources verifying tests. Does anyone know of a credible source of TRP tests?

I have a TRP. It is an exceptionally well made handgun. It's made of forged steel in the USA. Its Armory Kote is impervious to environmental conditions. It has been flawless in operation. I've never experienced a single problem of any kind regardless of ammo design and weight. It's more accurate than a Gold Cup. It's my wilderness survival gun, even in griz country. The .45 ACP +P cartridge is an extremely powerful cartridge.

A 50k round would be a moot point because I have no intention of firing that many rounds through any gun save a .22 rimfire.

So if anyone has knowledge of a credible source of extensive TRP testing, I'd appreciate it.

There are a lot of high quality 1911-A1s available to consumers. However, I doubt there is a factory production 1911-A1 that surpasses the excellent quality of the Springfield Armory TRP .45.

When I head for Rocky Mountain wilderness, my TRP goes with me.

I know people who have owned TRPs for years and these are accurate and reliable. The ones I tried out for myself are at least as good as my own DW Valor. IMHO, first-hand positive experience with a firearm is the best source of credible testing there is.

50k rounds is probably five lifetimes of shooting for most people.
It's like the "torture test"; most people clean and lube their gun every 50-100 rounds, so, who cares if it can go 5000 without proper maintenance?

The only documented endurance tests I know of are of Glocks and the HK P30 and HK45 (with the latter two being done by the late Todd Green).

Would it really have to be the TRP in particular? Would another Springfield Armory 1911 be fine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not sure of any 50K test on the TRP. There are some that have put that many through a well built 1911 in general. If you're never going to put that many rounds through it, I would never be concerned about it. Appears you haven't had any problem, so far. I wouldn't expect any issues other than normal maintenance.

Not that you asked, but your doubts would be removed if you handled and shot a Les Baer. I love my TRP Operator, Loaded, and several XDs. None of them hold a candle to my Baer. Wilson Combat and Ed Brown are over and above a TRP, as well. And, depending on where you are in the Rockies, a .45ACP +P isn't THAT powerful of a cartridge and not exactly my first choice in carrying to protect myself from grizzlies.

Para-Ordnance did a 10,000 round torture test on one of their 1911s and, more recently, Armscor (Rock Island) did the same with one of theirs. Springfield did a high round count torture test on one of their new pistols a couple of years ago, but I don't recall ever hearing about a 50,000 round test on a TRP.

You guys are right.

After thinking, which I should have done before initiating this idea, it's a nonissue.

From Ar15.com

"The Professional,written by Charlie Cutshaw,good read for those interested in the Professional by Springfield.

There are many manufacturers of the classic M1911 pistol for what seems to be an endless market, but Springfield Armory has established an enviable reputation as a producer of high-quality, reliable M1911 pistols. Springfield Armory pistols are used by the FBI Hostage Rescue Team and their regional SWAT teams, and also by many other federal and local special operations units.

Elite Marine Corps special operations units use M1911s built largely from Springfield Armory components. A recent photo from Iraq shows a special operations Marine holding his MEU-SOC (Marine Expeditionary Unit-Special Operations Capable) .45 on Iraqi prisoners with a Springfield Armory logo clearly visible on the slide. Every U.S. military special operations organization continues to employ the venerable M1911, many of them Springfield Armory pistols. The FBI uses Springfield Armory M1911A1 pistols almost exclusively, as does the U.S. Marshals Special Operations Group.

When the FBI decided that it required an M1911-type pistol for its regional SWAT teams, it issued a request for procurement (RFP). The RFP was for a 5,000-unit order, but once the lucrative contract was set, any government agency would be able to buy direct from it without going through a lengthy procurement process.

There was no specific manufacturer in mind; the FBI issued what is called a “performance requirement” that simply lists specific performance standards that must be met by the successful bidder. In the case of the FBI pistol, the criteria were extremely stringent. In addition to features found in most custom M1911s, the FBI raised the bar to standards that only the finest firearm could meet.

The new pistol was required to feed almost any hollow point cartridge, although Remington Golden Saber and Federal Hydra Shok were specified. Our test shooting revealed that Springfield’s FBI pistol, designated “Professional Model” for commercial sales, reliably fed any hollow point, flat nose or semi-wadcutter cartridge we could find.

The trigger pull was initially specified to be 5 to 6.5 pounds, but the requirement has since been changed to 4.5 pounds. Our test pistol was slightly outside the specification, with an average trigger pull of only 4 pounds, but broke like the proverbial “glass rod” without creep or backlash. The new pistol was required to carry a 50,000-round warranty.

The accuracy requirement, however, was yet another requirement that bordered on the impossible. This stipulated that the pistol fire three consecutive 10-shot groups no larger than 1.5 inches at 25 yards from a Ransom Rest using service ammunition. The pistol then had 20,000 rounds fired through it and was again tested for accuracy. No more than a 15% accuracy reduction was permitted.

A single stoppage over 2,500 rounds disqualified a pistol from the competition. Several notable manufacturers of 1911 type pistols submitted bids and test pistols, but when the testing was completed, only Springfield’s candidate met the performance criteria and the rest, as the old saying goes, is history.

Springfield originally designated all pistols built to the FBI standard “Bureau Model,” but the FBI protested, so the name was changed to Professional Model. All Professional Model pistols, whether for government issue or commercial sale, are identical and carry the serial number prefix “CRG.”

The Springfield Armory FBI pistol is an unqualified success, but what makes this pistol arguably the premier production M1911in the country? First impressions lead one to think that the FBI Pistol looks to all the world like any custom M1911, but the devil is in the details, and it is the details that make the Springfield Armory Professional Model arguably superior to almost any other.

Each pistol has every component fitted to the closest tolerances possible while maintaining reliability and accuracy. Each Professional Model begins with a forged Springfield frame and slide. Only the best components are used to assemble the pistol: Nowlin barrel, Novak tritium sights, a Wilson “Bullet Proof” extractor, Videcki trigger and ambidextrous safety.

All of these components are available “off the shelf,” but it is how Springfield’s Custom Shop builds each pistol that makes them special. When the shooter disassembles the pistol, he finds that each major component—barrel, barrel bushing, slide stop and slide—is numbered with the last three digits of the pistol’s serial number. None of these components will fit any other pistol.

The ambidextrous safety is slightly narrower on the right so it doesn’t “bite” the shooter’s knuckle like some others, or worse, be forced up into the “safe” position which could cause one to have a VERY bad day in a gunfight. The slide stop pin is slightly recessed into the right side of the frame so it cannot be inadvertently pressed, thereby immobilizing the slide, another “show stopper” in a crisis.

The slide fits the frame with absolute perfection—there is no discernable play, and the slide feels as if it were moving on ball bearings. The front and back straps are checkered with 20 lines per inch checkering to ensure positive grip. For easy tactical magazine changes, the Professional Model comes with an extended magazine guide, fully contoured to the frame and grips. The magazine release is slightly extended for positive release. Needless to say, mags drop free every time.

Each Professional Model, like its FBI counterpart, is equipped with six Metalform seven-round magazines, each with an extended rubber bumper pad for positive insertion. The seven-round mags are our only real complaint about the pistol. Many consider eight-round magazines to be less reliable than their smaller capacity brethren, but we have never had a stoppage with our eight-round magazines.

After we decided that we just had to have the Professional Model and made arrangements to purchase it, we ordered six Cobramags manufactured by Tripp Research. These magazines are the most significant improvements in 1911 magazines since the pistol was introduced. Strong words, but these magazines have so many improvements over any other that the list is really too long for inclusion here.

Most significant is the positioning of the cartridge .080 higher than any other magazine. This puts the cartridge in almost a direct line with the chamber. The follower is reinforced with stainless steel at the slide stop interface to prevent failure. The eight-round magazines are designed from the outset as such, and are not converted seven-round magazines like most others. The feed lips have also been modified for enhanced reliability. The list goes on, but the message is clear—if your life depends on your M1911, regardless of manufacturer, have a Cobramag up the magazine well and a couple of more in reserve.

It is difficult to describe in words just how “right” every aspect of Springfield’s Professional Model is. The slide is incredibly smooth. The trigger pull is remarkably consistent, varying no more than a few tenths of an ounce. With its Black T finish as specified by the FBI, the Professional Model also looks right. Best of all, the pistol shoots!

In a word, the Professional Model is synergistic, with its parts all working in concert to achieve a result that is greater than their sum, a tribute to the craftsmen at the Springfield Custom Shop who build these outstanding handguns. Since the 1911 was introduced so many years ago, many pistols have come and gone, but the 1911 endures."

American Handgunner had an article a few years ago about the FBI selection process. The article has evidently gone missing but it was reposted on another forum in full beginning with post #16. https://www.1911addicts.com/threads...est-that-decided-on-the-springfield-pro.7995/. The pistol passed abuse tests and five were fired for a total of 50,000 rounds.

A couple of manufacturers dropped out, citing the warranty requirements while a couple complained the accuracy requirements were impossible with the specified Remington Golden Sabers. At the end, two makers met all the requirements—Springfield and Matt Gish, a gunsmith formerly employed by Springfield.

The AR-15 post appears to have a few details wrong. The process was for SWAT and not HRT. Also. As noted, guns from two companies, not one, met all the requirements.

Last edited:
Hi guys.

Thanks so much.

I have a Professional Model .45 ACP. I've never loaded it let alone fired it. It's in brand new condition. It's my safe queen. But I'm not a keeper of monarchs. I really don need it. So I'm selling it.

I also have a TRP, which is SA's factory production version of the custom made Professional Model. It's the most accurate and reliable handgun I own to include S&W revolvers. It's my wilderness handgun. It's my primary lower 48 mean critter protection handgun to include griz. The TRP is incredibly robust and durable. If the Professional Model withstood a 50k test, there's no doubt in my mind that the TRP would, too.

We all have 'em and my opinion is the TRP is the best factory produced 1911-A1 on the market. I'd go mano a mano with anything from Bill Wilson with it.

When Springfield Armory began making its 1911-A1s in the USA to include its forged steel frames, it became a dominant player in the 1911-A1 game. A consumer could pay far more for a 1911-A1, but he won't get better quality for his money.

I've sold my other brands of 1911-A1s to include Colt and had gone exclusively with SA. In fact, my Colt Series 70 was one the worst handguns I owned. My TRP doesn't rattle like a Ford Pinto and it eats and spits out everything I've fed it. SA could add another $500 to its MSRP for its TRP, and it'd still be an excellent bargain.

For those us not in the know, how different is a Professional from a TRP?

A 50,000 rd warranty is pretty impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We all have 'em and my opinion is the TRP is the best factory produced 1911-A1 on the market. I'd go mano a mano with anything from Bill Wilson with it.

When Springfield Armory began making its 1911-A1s in the USA to include its forged steel frames, it became a dominant player in the 1911-A1 game. A consumer could pay far more for a 1911-A1, but he won't get better quality for his money.

It's evident from almost every post that you love your TRP, but dial back on the fanboyism a few notches. The TRP is a nice production 1911 and an excellent value at pre-pandemic prices, but it's a far cry from the semi-custom guns in fit and parts quality.

I'm a TRP guy, love mine, and Springfield has great customer service, but I think it is still a step below the Baer and Wilson offerings.

As far as the 50K round count goes... just shoot it and take care of it, its a well made gun by a well run company.

Hi TunnelRat,

The Springfield Armory Professional Model is a custom made handgun manufactured in Springfield Armory's Custom Shop to extremely precise specifications.

The TRP is a factory production version of the Professional Model.

Owning both, I doubt anyone under normal conditions could discern differences between the two.

The TRP is incredibly accurate and reliable. Feed it anything. I'll shoot it.

Hickok 45 and the Professional Model:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH-K3rn_VRg

Hi KKreyzhorse,

I can't disagree with you since we're discussing opinions, which most gun conversations are.

The TRP is an amazing handgun, especially for the price. I paid about $1100 for mine a few years ago. Now they're commanding a premium due to the imbalance of demand and inability to meet that demand. Many vendors have waiting lists for the TRP.

The TRP is an exceptionally crafted factory production handgun.

The alleged 50k round test is useful as predictor of a gun's integrity and reliability. It's more of a quality index.

The reality is most of us will never shoot half than many rounds out of any handgun except for possibly a .22LR.

The SA catalog is not forthcoming on details as to what makes a TRP different from the rest of the lineup. Higher end guns, $2300 up, they start talking about "fitting" but all they say about TRP and not others is a "tuned" bushing, whatever that means.

TRP has a lot of "features." Unfortunately, SACS does not have an a la carte catalog any more, so I don't know what they would charge for tritium night sights, checkered front strap, and mag well funnel on your gun. Even the G10 grips and FLGR would run the price up. Hundreds of dollars, all told, for sure.

I have not heard of a 50,000 round endurance test, that is more than Mr Browning demonstrated on the 1917 machine gun.

The 50,000 round guarantee (not test) on the Professional (at twice the price) is just a piece of paper. The gun breaks, they fix or replace it. I doubt it included firing the assembler or any other draconian penalty. It apparently applies only to actual government contract pistols. The regular SA guarantee is "lifetime" but has a lot of exceptions like "normal wear and tear." "Sorry, sir, the guarantee has expired, its lifetime is obviously over."

There are avid USPSA competitors who go through 20,000 - 30,000 rounds a year. If you sponsored somebody to shoot in the not-very-popular Single Stack Division for two or three years, you would have a result.

Back