Can't Rack Ruger EC9S 9mm

I couldn't make up my mind which of two pocket pistols, so I bought both, a Glock 43 and an LC9s. The Ruger has a safety which is engaged in the drawer, but when I put it in a holster, I take the safety off so both little guns have the same "stroke", draw, aim, pull.
I used to do this until the time I drew the gun and the safety happened to become engaged while holstered. Luckily it was only during practice with snap caps. Ever since then I’ve just trained using the safety.

The lesson I learned many years ago (fortunately painlessly) is that if there is ever the possibility that you will need to use a gun without having the time luxury to think about each step is that it is important that the gun you have then, and the gun you practice with be the SAME, if not exactly the same gun, the same in their method of operation.

Defensive handguns are in that group for me.

In that sense, every DA revolver works exactly the same way. Semi autos are varied and if you vary the type you carry for defense, odds are high that when you do need it, the one you have won't be the one you know "instinctively".

IN my case, the lesson was taught to me by a pheasant....A friend dropped by, said he had seen a deer up the canyon, but all he had with him was his Browning Sweet 16 shotgun and some bird shot and he wanted to borrow a deer rifle....
So, I loaned him one, and went along, and he gave me his shotgun to carry in case we put up a bird.

Never did see any deer, but did flush a pheasant. Lined out headed straight away, a clout shot, so I mounted the gun, punched the safety off and fired.
Nothing...
actually repeated the process twice more before the bird sailed out of range, punched the safety OFF pulled the trigger,
nothing, not even a click. Chamber WAS loaded, I KNEW that since I did it...

The problem here was the safety. My shotgun was a Winchester model 12, one I had decades of experience with. So what I did, without thinking about it was what was the right thing to do for my model 12, where the safety is in front of the trigger.

Trouble was, I was using my friend's Browning, where the safety was behind the trigger. Acting on instinct (my training) was not the right thing to do for the gun I had in my hands at the time. I think that could be a very BAD thing using a pistol for defense. Pick one kind of operating system, and stick with it. Otherwise, Murphy can visit at the worst possible moment, if you get my drift...

I feel totally good with my decision to carry without loaded. He's not wrong about odds. I've never been convinced why people get so impassioned to state otherwise. Meh.

There is the VP9 wings attachment already posted from Amazon, grip taping the slide for purchase, but there are no DPM Systems like spring system out there for the LC9/EC9/PF-9. (https://www.dpmsystems.com/en-gb/e-shop/pistols-recoil-reduction/ruger)

The answer is no. Nothing mechanically exists to lighten the pull weight for his gun. There are only grippy adding ideas.

Resolved

OP here...

We went out in the woods along with his buddy who carries a Ruger LCP II .380-- the regular model, not the Lite Rack version.

Buddy invited my neighbor to put a couple of magazines through it-- which he did. And whaddya' know. He could easily rack and shoot it-- though he called it a squirmy little b****** (which in fact it is).

He said that gun is close enough to his EC9S that he could get comfortable with it. We plan to hit the LGS this weekend to see about picking one up-- hopefully they've got one in stock. And yes, he knows he'll need a lot of practice with it

One more thing guys--please save the rants about a .380 not being "enough" gun ;-)

Federal 380 DEEP hydrashok does better than most 9mm that is the new skiving. He did fine.

P365 in 380 would be another option and is very much the size of the ruger II and EC9. Racks easy too. Night sights. Ten rounds. #1 cc platform right now. Rebate for 60 bucks at sig store through june.

That would be the top leader for a neighbor recommend. II fine. P365 380 best.

One more thing guys--please save the rants about a .380 not being "enough" gun ;-)

People have already suggested 380s. I get trying to cut something off at the pass, but give people a little credit, especially when they’ve already demonstrated that they’re understanding.

I think the key here is the smallness of the slide--not the actual pull resistance (I do more of a frame push). I also give the benefit of the doubt to the friend that he doesn't want one in the chamber--sounds like his real worry is more about himself for forgetting it's there. A small double action revolver might be the way to go.

Old racker

An old timer as well.

Talon sells slide grips that are simple to install and most affordable.

Over the top racking is made much easier.

It's amazing how much better a grippy grip rubber material provideds even over sharp deep cuts. Agreed.

If he moves to the II that's been the most recommended option. Worth passing it along for sure.

Tell your neighbor to get a new gun. Trying to put a band aid on the EC9s is the wrong solution. Fix the root of the problem with a new guns that is designed from the ground up to fit those needs, and be reliable.

Also if you were to help them "modify" the gun so he could operate it, and the gun failed when they needed it, there could be some liability issues on your part.

S&w ez is my reccomendation

Last edited:
People have already suggested 380s. I get trying to cut something off at the pass, but give people a little credit, especially when they’ve already demonstrated that they’re understanding.
.380s are generally blow-back or aggressive falling-barrel designs (more aggressive than 9mm, .40 S&W, etc.), which means the same as 9mm, or worse for spring force.

They are also typically in smaller pistols with smaller slides. Which means worse than 9mm for spring force.

Smaller cartridge does not mean less cycling force.

But the fact that the man found something that he could handle is good.
Case closed, hopefully.

.380s are generally blow-back or aggressive falling-barrel designs (more aggressive than 9mm, .40 S&W, etc.), which means the same as 9mm, or worse for spring force.

They are also typically in smaller pistols with smaller slides. Which means worse than 9mm for spring force.

Smaller cartridge does not mean less cycling force.

But the fact that the man found something that he could handle is good.
Case closed, hopefully.

Those are good points, none of which I was claiming otherwise so I’m not sure why you quoted me, but okay.

We went out in the woods along with his buddy who carries a Ruger LCP II .380-- the regular model, not the Lite Rack version

If he can handle the LCP II, definitely have him get his hands on the LCP Max.

Back