can't help but ask this one

Jody, those kind of things only happen in movies, not in real life. That's a fact, as many of our resident 'experts' can tell you.

:rolleyes:

Isn't it amazing how sheltered most Americans are?

Amazing and not good! You can learn a lot from the wrong side of the tracks, where life has some bite to it.

I carry one of those "tactical-looking" knives. It's truly evil-looking, with a saw-tooth on the lower half of the blade, and sort of a tanto-style point. It's got a clip on the side so I can hang it inside the pocket of my jeans and get it out without having to dig for it. It's got a thumb stud so I can easily open it one-handed.

I use it all the time. The blade is nice and sharp, perfect for opening my mail. The saw tooth is great for sawing through tough stuff, like twine wrapped around a parcel. I can get it out of my pocket and open the blade without setting down the burrito I'm eating, or the grocery bag I'm carrying.

I wish it wasn't goofy-looking, but when I was shopping, that's all I could find. I'd much rather carry something that looks like the Old Timer my dad gave me when I was 6, with all the same features.

I carry a Glock for self-defense, though.

Richard Marcinko (aka Rogue Warrior) made a comment in one of his fiction books that provides excellent reason to avoid a knife fight if at all possible. He states that in a knife fight, you WILL be cut, even if you win.

Use the rules for minimizing radiation exposure to minimize injury in a knife fight. Time, Distance and Shielding. Get out of range as quickly as possible, put as much distance between you and the knife as possible and try getting something between you and it.

I am not trained in knife fighting, and I know that an untrained person with a knife is likely to find temselves in deep doo-doo when they try to use it as a weapon. I blame a lot of the modern fascination with "Special Covert Ops Black Tactical Commando" knives on that overblown pig-sticker in the Rambo movies.

As someone said above, a knife is a tool. I have not been without some sort of pocket knife since I was a Cub Scout. I've been through Swiss Army knives, Buck folders, Leathermen and a host of others. I did not carry them as weapons, I carried them for times when things needed to be cut.

Now I carry a Columbia River M16-13Z. It's light, it has the pocket clip and it opens one handed, a blessing when you have to hold the object to be cut in the other hand. Yes, it has those deadly-looking serrations, which came in handy when Thelma's AC compressor froze up on a trip and I had to cut the belt loose.

My sister from NYC (I love her but she's a bliss ninny) saw the knife one day and was horrified. "What do you need THAT for?" she asks. I explain the whole tool philosophy, sparing her sensibilities by neglecting to mention the concealed 9mm on my hip. :)

Well, I own not one but TWO 'tactical' knives. One is a Benchmade AFCK (which we all know stands for Advanced Folding Camp Knife, not Combat Knife :rolleyes: ), and the other is a REKAT Carnivour. Why did I pick these over other similar, less 'tactical' models?

Ergonomics.

The REKAT, especially, fits my hand perfectly and the scales are made of a weird fusion of Velcro and G-10 that just plain sticks to my hand. :D It affords a firm, comfortable grip that truly isn't going anywhere, whether my hands are slick from sweat or from the blood of fallen foes (:rolleyes: ). Plus, the blade is Talonite, so it isn't rusting in this lifetime and holds its edge well under use and abuse.

Mike

No argument from here, Mike. But one point to add.

YOU carry a badge. YOU have carte blanche (in the minds of most DAs and jurors) to carry WEAPONS.

I do NOT carry a badge. In the minds of far too many, I do NOT have the right to carry a weapon.

So, for me to carry a tactical knife puts me in a bad light in the minds (?) of many who might sit on a jury. (Grand jury or otherwise.)

OTOH, if I use a UTILITY knife to defend myself, I think it's harder for a DA to paint me as having been looking for trouble.

YMMV.

The bottom line in all of this is: Never, ever bring a knife to a gun fight!

Protect yourself from a safe distance. Let the only blood spilled be that of the badguy.

"lets roll"

I carry a S&W Swat knife everyday (except when I'm going into federal buildings). While it may look tactical, it has a huge number of practical applications everyday. It really is a tool. The one hand open is very practical. Has there ever been a court case where the look of a knife has been taken into account? I don't intend to get into a knife fight ever, nor do I want to, but I would rather have something that nothing. My mindset is the first rule of gunfighting is have a gun, thus the same thing applies to knives. And if I ever have to draw it in a combat situation, I'd think that just like firearms, a determined citizen who pulls a knife can diffuse trouble without getting into a fight. I hope to God that this never happens, but living near DC, don't want to naively ignore the fact that it may happen. Anyone care to comment? FYI, I'm not old enough to get a VA carry license yet, so the only "weapon" I can carry would be a knife.

Back