Can't decide on rifle caliber!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC268

Hey guys, so I can't for the life of me decide between the .243 and .308. It will be my first rifle (however I have a lot of rifle experience and have done a decent amount of hunting, just never had my OWN gun).

I will be target shooting, hunting coyote and deer (mule and white tail). I don't care to keep the coyote pelt by the way. Anyways, the guy who owns a local gun shop by me is saying to go with the .308 as it is just a better overall round. My big worry is that the .308 is gonna kick like a mule and have terrible recoil as I have never shot one. I know the .308 would also allow me to do some big game if I decided to do elk or something. Anyways, tough decision.

Anyways, just want to hear your guys' opinions.

The .308 will have considerably more recoil than a .243, all else being equal. Unfortunately, all else isn't equal. While it's a virtual guarantee that the .308 will have "more" recoil, how much more and how much it bothers you will depend on both your perception of recoil and the specifics of the gun.

However, the .243 is an excellent choice for what you've described and I would personally pick it over the .308 every day and twice on Sunday.

It won't take long for someone else to come along and give you the exact opposite opinion, already happened if you count the gun shop guy.

You can't go wrong. If recoil is an issue, then .243. With a heavy rifle in .308 you won't notice recoil much and you can frequently pick up .308 ammo at a considerable discount. Both are suitable for any game except bear and elk where .308 gets the nod.

For the uses you have described, I personally would choose the .243. No doubt the .308 will take larger game and increase the odds of a kill on smaller game. It also has a greater range. But I don't see the .308 as a general purpose rifle (for the same reasons I don't see my 30.06 add a general purpose rifle - but even more so).

For me, I think the biggest consideration is practice. I want to get out and practice as much as possible and hone my high power skills. That means putting some time in on paper too. If I only had one centerfire then I'd rather it be the .243. I suppose if I just wanted to get the scope zeroed and put the rifle away until hunting then perhaps the .308 would be the better choice.

I may be reading to much into your post but it sounds to me like you want a .243 Winchester and the sales person is trying to talk you into a .308 Winchester? If that is correct get the .243, it's what you want and since you're the person paying for it you should get what you want. The .243 is a wonderful deer/coyote cartridge and many people even hunt elk with it.

Just assuming your a growing young man..when I was still in high school living outside Anchorage my dad introduced me to his Mod 70 in .375 and it didnt go over very well. Many years later and many pounds heavier its mine and I use it for varmint, as well as deer, hog...lower 48 game including some blacks. I learned to reload as a kid and depending what I want to target I load accordingly.
Same with the .308 you can pump it up or down what ever meets your needs and you can reach way out with confidence in the energy it will beliver.

If I were to choose now between the .243 and a .308 with only one pick not re-loading I'd go for sure with the .243. I have an older Ruger flat-bolt that I love dearly and take a deer with it every year. My only problem is feeling the knockdown power confidence out past 200. Its there but I keep my shots in the 100 to 150 yd range with whitetail hit the neck below the ear and they dont take a step, A chest shot.. keep your eye on it. The .243 lacks bullet weight in my opinion that translate to energy. Shoot what gives you that warm fuzzy feeling..that .243 is a great great round.

If deer and antelope were the largest game you'd ever shoot I would go with the 243. (You may also want to look hard at a 260 Remington)

If bear or elk is on the menu in the future go with the 308.

One thing you may not have considered is to have both. (or more) With the Savage 110 rifles you can get an extra barrel and swap it back and forth with a few tools, none of which cost very much. Then you'd get a choice of 243, 260, 7-08, 308 and 338-Fed.

From deer on down, 243. And it can be pressed into service on game up to elk. I'd use it on Black bear.

The more likely I was to hunt game larger than deer the more likely I would be to lean more toward the 308. It will have somewhat more recoil but ain't bad at all and is capable of anything in North America.

Unless you see game larger than deer as a common game hunted I think you'll be better off with a 243.

I don't know, I am really leaning towards the .308. I can find ammo so easily and there are so many rounds available. I am thinking about picking up the Savage 11/111 in a .308. They also have the Ruger American in a .308. Its funny everyone on this forum is saying .243 and literally the other 8 responses I got on the other forum are saying to get the .308! UHGGG :eek:

I may end up just going to Bass Pro...if they have the Savage 11/111 in .243 I will buy it, if they don't I will buy the .308 if they have it

+1 for the .243. For the described use, it is more than adequate. It is accurate, effective and has a moderate recoil. I also like the .308, but it probably wouldn't be my first choice for coyote.

I'm not sure what the "other" forum is, so can't comment on their recommendations.

It doesn't look like any of the big box stores around here (Bass Pro) has any of the Savage 11's in a .243 or .308. One of the locally owned gun stores here does have a Ruger American in a .308 but don't know much about Ruger American's. Otherwise I may have to wait and have a Savage 11 ordered.

Another .243 vote here. Less recoil will allow you to practice more. In addition, during the peak of the ammo chaos, you could not find .308, but .243 was plentiful, at least in the areas I was looking.

Faced with the same choice - I went with 243. My game is Whitetail- coyote - groundhog. Don't even notice the recoil - and so far in 3 shots - 3 deer have gone down. Haven't used it for any of the other game mentioned yet.

Yea I figured... Well I originally wanted the Savage 11/111 FCNS but its like $600 and I can only get it off gunbroker. The combo deal from bass pro or cabelas is a lot more affordable for me but not sure if the gun quality is crap or not. I could go buy the Ruger American tomorrow otherwise I will have to wait and order that combo deal through Bass Pro

Go for the .243! When you can afford elk hunting you can afford a .270, .280, 7mm Rem Mag, .30-06, .300 Win Mag etc. While I have several Ruger, Remington and Browning rifles and have always used my .300 Win Mag on elk hunts, I understand that most guides and outfitters have more confidence in hunters carrying a .270 simply because it is easier to shoot accurately. Rifle brand choice is a matter of personal choice - feel, appearance, experience, etc.

.308. Period. End of story. While optimists cannot predict the future, pessimists have at least done the math. .308 is suitable for any game on this continent, and it also has the flexibility of tactical use should the need ever arise. For not too much money, you can stockpile lots of ammo in .308. .308 is easily the most versatile round on the market, capable of being loaded with every bullet weight from 55 grains (in sabots) to 220 grains. Varmints to Bigfoot. It is also a great match-target caliber. And 'they' make bunches of great tacticool rifles in .308 - sooner or later, you'll buy one. You can spend thousands for a top of the line M1A or HK91, or just a few hundred for a perfectly reliable CETME. Lots of other models in between. With a .308 and a .223, you'll never need anything else for anything. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back