Can you still get guns through CMP

If you are a LEO do you HAVE to be in one of the CMP clubs or is just being in LE enough? I would much like to purchase a M1 but none of those clubs are perticularly close to me... nearest one is roughly a hour and a half drive...

If you are a LEO do you HAVE to be in one of the CMP clubs or is just being in LE enough? I would much like to purchase a M1 but none of those clubs are perticularly close to me... nearest one is roughly a hour and a half drive...

Cut n Paste from the CMP's site:

Membership in CMP Affiliated Organization:
You must provide a copy of your current membership card or other proof of membership. This requirement cannot be waived. The CMP currently has over 2,000 affiliated organizations located in many parts of the country.

Membership in many of these organizations costs $25.00 or less and can be accomplished online. A listing of affiliated organizations can be found by clicking on our Club Search web page at http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/clubSearch.cgi. If you have any difficulty in locating a club, please contact the CMP at 256-835-8455 or by emailing CMP Customer Service. We will find one for you. In addition to shooting clubs, the CMP also has several special affiliates. Membership in these organizations satisfies our requirement for purchase. These special affiliates include: Congressionally chartered veterans' organizations such as the VFW, AL, DAV, MCL, etc. U.S. Military services (active or reserves), National Guard, to include retirees. Professional 501(c)3 law enforcement organizations and associations such as the FOP, NAPO, NSA, etc.

If I were you, I'd call up the CMP at the above phone number, and talk to them. I interpret the "etc" as "we're pretty broad-minded when it comes to LE qualification". The worst thing they'll tell you is "no"; they are reasonable folks :)

My recollection is that the Garand Collector's Association qualifies you as well. It's 25 bucks and they have a great newsletter. Ask the CMP about the GCA angle as well

http://www.thegca.org/index.htm

He's a few of the Garands and Carbines that I picked up from CMP over the last year. It really helps if you can go to one of the stores and pick them out yourself. Anniston is only about 160 miles from me.
Garands-Carbines.jpg

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but your SA WW II has a post-war trigger guard I believe. WW II guards were milled. The stamped guards came later.

A nice set of rifles though.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but your SA WW II has a post-war trigger guard I believe. WW II guards were milled. The stamped guards came later.

A nice set of rifles though.

Agreed, nice rifles!

However, re: stamped guards-

It certainly is most common to see milled trigger guards on WWII M1 rifles

However, stamped guards are WWII correct, depending on time frame, for both ETO and PTO. I have here a book titled "GI Victory", which shows a US soldier in Britanny, 1944, with not only a stamped trigger guard, but he also has...drum roll...a web sling as well!

Rifles found in Normandy during the last few decades have been photographed with the stamped guards. They just were not terribly common in WWII :)

Good link on the subject. It's not just about trigger guard types in WWII, it's just about M1 rifles in general. Lots of photos. I believe pages two and three have the rifles found in France

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19412&st=0

Last edited:
"For sure, if I had the $ right now, I'd order an M1. I just don't understand the prices for the guns they admit are in poor condition and some unsafe to fire. Unless the parts are worth more than I know, I could not spend $350 for a rifle that's unsafe to fire, or up to $500 for a rifle the seller states is in poor condition. Business has been terrible for 2 years and $ is hard to come by."

I went up to the Port Clinton, OH, the North store, last Wednesday and I will say that they had two full racks of service grade rifles. If you only read their technical description online, you might assume that these are in poor condition and unsafe to fire. Their website will tell you that even their Rack grade rifles are safe to shoot. Maybe not accurately!

In reality, the Service Grade, SG, rifles were, for the most part, far better than their descriptions. I gauged every SG rifle there and only one or two gauged over 2.5 at the muzzle and most were in the 1-2 range. I bought one that gauged less than 1 and a second that was just a hair over 1. The first one has VERY nice wood and almost completely matching components and shoots very well. The second one, a gift for my son in the Air Force, has nice wood with a slightly mis-matched rear hand guard but shoots amazing groups. Both rifles were in the 5.8 million range and from 1955.

This was my first visit and I will say that I would not buy a rack grade rifle from them since my first criteria was appearance and the second was matching components while the third criteria was how much wear the barrel had. I hit home runs on both of mine and they cleaned up nicely. I am still trying to clean some of the grease out of the wood by letting the sun heat it up and then wiping it off. Overall, I think I got my money's worth for $595.

The "unsafe to fire" is a CYA statement from the CMP. It would be absolutely ludicris for a company to sell old used weapons without making a statement that it needs to be checked out by a gunsmith before firing. I have 4 garands, an o3a3, and multiple surplus .22 rifles from the CMP and all are excellent shooters that needed no work. The fact is, cmp garands are test fired before ever being offered for sale. Again, just a CYA statement to cover them in the rare case anything ever happens.

Enjoy your rifles, get them while you can.

Back