Can you replace a 38 long colt cylinder with 38 special?

Sounds like it's really chambered in 38 S&W, firing even 38 Long Colt is not worth the aggravation of cracked cases. As others have noted, the quality of many Spanish handguns of that era is on a par with Khyber Pass firearms-look neat, good wall hangers, but not really meant to be fired.

Probably not, unless like Bob Wright's.
There was a Spanish cartridge, the ".38 Largo" equivalent to .38 Long Colt, easy for them to just make up a new stamp for the American trade.

While I would not remotely consider rechambering it to .38 Special due to cost and safety limits, I would certainly stick a .38 Special wadcutter in it to see if it fit. But then I fancy I know what I am doing and could avoid the temptation to throw in a Super Vel.

my dad has this old Spanish 38 long colt apache revolver

I looked that up. The pics I see look like a Colt clone (clockwise cylinder rotation).

that he wants to fire after having it for a year or so. My question is ...is it possible to replace the long colt cylinder with a 38 special cylinder? Will it fit? Would it need specific tooling ? Cost too much if it is possible ? I'm just curious cuz i don't want him buying and trying to fire bullets that will more than likely ruin the gun ...or worse injure him ....apologies for the novice question but I dont normally do anything with guns and the one I recently bought is nothing like what hes trying to use ...thank you for any help anyone can give

I'm going to say, "probably no, and it's probably harder than you think to actually do." and would probably cost more than the gun's worth.

The old Spanish revolvers don't have a great reputation for durability.

Since the 38 Special simply a 38 Long Colt lengthened to hold more power, why not trim 38 Special cases to 38 Long Colt length ? Also are you sure it's a 38 Long Colt and not a 38 S&W?

.38 Special will fit in .38 Colt revolvers that don't have "shelf" in the chamber to prevent it. I checked-out an old Colt New Army revolver, chambered in .38 Colt, and .38 Special would fit.

.38 Special will fit in .38 Colt revolvers that don't have "shelf" in the chamber to prevent it.

Colt has a history of "bored straight through" chambers. With rimmed rounds that step in the chamber isn't needed for function.

Colt's first batch of 1917 .45acp revolvers had straight bored chambers, making the guns only usable with half moon clips. S&W 1917s have the step for headspacing the ACP case without needing clips, so the gun could still be used without them, and with clips you got simultaneous extraction.

Colt's second run of 1917s did have the headspace ledge, and later, the first issue guns were refitted to allow use without clips.

Many of the "lesser" gun makers didn't put that forward "ledge" in their revolvers, and so can physically accept rounds longer than they should be used with.

If you reload - Starline makes both 38 Colt Short and Long brass - I reload both. A cheap single stage press, a set of Lee 38 Colt Short/Long dies, a hand primer and the components an you are in business.

^^^ Best answer so far.^^^

Trim .38 Spl brass and load to Long Colt levels = good idea
Convert Spanish.38 Long Colt gun to .38 Special = bad idea

Maybe so. But remember if you trim 38 special brass shorter you may have to ream the case deeper to keep the bullet from bulging the case. One way you could use 38 Sp brass would be to use wad cutter brass since it is already deepened for the flush fitting bullets.

But if starline makes 38 Colt brass that would be the fastest and easiest route.

Back