Can you recommend a good 9mm?

Redhook

So far out of a half-a-dozen pistols, I've gravitated to the larger calibers. .40S&W, 10mm, .45, etc. I've never really considered a 9mm until now, and I'd like to round out my collection. Not to mention the fact that 9mm is cheap to run and I really don't plan to use this for anything other than punching holes in paper, cans, etc.. However, I would like something accurate.

Now I live in the great state of Kalifornia, so I'm limited to mostly mainline guns at this point. I'm not looking for anything compact and Glocks don't point well for me. The H&K grip is a little too square for me also. That leaves Beretta, CZ, Baby Desert Eagle, Sig, S&W, ruger, Taurus, and Walther. So far, I'm partial to the Beretta 92 Brig and the Baby Desert Eagle. Any ideas?

Thanks!
-Red-

Without hesitation,,

CZ75b. Inexpensive enough that you can buy one plus a Kadet .22 Conversion unit for about the same price as the others mentioned. That makes it REALLY cheap to run.

Just sticking to 9mm...

Stick with a major brand and you will do fine.
I have a 92FS and it is alright (also a P7 and a 228), but of your list I would get a Sig P226. If you are a collector and want the "best" 9mm, look for a HK P7, Sig 210, or possibly a HiPower.

Well if you are partial towards the Beretta and the Baby Eagle, let me suggest the Taurus PT92 and the CZ-75B. With the Taurus you have the option of cocked and locked carry, with the Beretta you don't. With the CZ-75B, you get excellent craftsmanship.

Lots of good choices

I like the Browning High Power and CZ-75B the best, especially for range work as you state. Both accurate, classy, reliable. If you want you can look at the clones, FEG High Power and EAA Witness, which is a good CZ clone, but if possible, I'd stick with the originals.

Pilot

If price is not an issue

Sig P226
Beretta 92

If price is an issue, there are already some very good choices listed.

CZ75B. Offers cocked-and-locked carry. Double stack, but not so big that it's hard to reach the trigger. Safety is mounted on the frame and operates as G*d and John Browning meant it to. Standard capacity magazines still available at not too ridiculous a price. Nice trigger straight out of the box. Only downside is that the interior rails make the slide somewhat smaller, giving you less grip area on the slide when racking it. The CZ75B is a remarkable bargain.

The Beretta's grip is overlarge. The trigger breaks too close to the grip. The safety/decocking lever is mounted on the slide, making it possible to trip the lever inadvertently while racking the slide, and also making it harder for your thumb to reach. And the safety works in the wrong direction -- your thumb is stronger pushing down (ala 1911) than up.

Sigs are fine guns. I have a P239 in .40. I'm not a fan of DA/SA, so as a result I'm not a big fan of Sigs. YMMV.

M1911

Glock 19 or Glock 26, Ruger P95, Beretta 92 series, Sig P239/226/229, Browning Highpower

Stay with a major brand and you won't be sorry.

9mm

Take a look at the Baby Eagle 9mm. That gun is a good buy for the money.I bought mine on a whim and sure shocked the crap out of me.:eek: I'm really pleased with my full size and I am now looking to buy a .40 compact model ;)

SIG P210 (if that is within your price range), if not an all steel CZ85 would be a good accurate choice. Stay away from S&W even though the 952 looks great.

I know you're not particularly interested in a compact, but check out the S&W Model 3913. It is the best of the lot when it comes to compact nines.

I'll second RBull's choices.

But since this will be a range gun and for "punching holes" the CZ75 is the way to go. You'll get "quality without the brand name price". It may not be as "nice" as a Sig but everyone who's ever acquired one seem convinced its the best bargain out there. If I was on a budget I wouldn't hesitate to get one.

If money is no object, the Sig P226 or why not a pair of CZ75s?

Beretta 92G Brigadier Elite II

The grip & trigger issue are both solved with this model. The SIG P226 would be a very close runner up. I own both models and would be hard pressed to choose between the two. But for paper punching, I edge the Beretta.

If your not looking to spend alot. The Ruger P95 & CZ like the others have said.

Back