Can you identify this creature?

Curious? Is it fish or something belonging to the eel family? You Boys down South got some gen-u-wine nasty looking critters in the waters down there. No chance of skinny-dipping I suppose?:rolleyes: SSMcG

Question:
Do people intentionally try to catch them fish? Are they edible?

Last edited:
I was going to say Skookum. But that thing's a fish?! In Florida waters? People wonder why I don't go in the water. Freaking monsters.

Didn't know you had them down there. They lay in holes or behind obstructions on the river bottom and will jump at anything but if you want to go after them deliberately cray fish, minnows or salamanders are our favorite baits. Stay away from all that stinky bait like some cat fishermen use it just messes up your hands, ruins your lunch and makes your tackle stink. It will work but so will a crappie minnow and they are cheaper.

Around here we call them dogfish. They are very aggresive and will strike just about anything, they have an incredibly strong bite that will tear up a good lure, last time I encountered one it broke the line and I had to say goodye to my favorite jig.

Bowfin, slow, low oxigenated water and mud bottom rivers. I think they're found more in fresh/tidal rivers. Mean and full of toofs. Still nothing compared to a PO'd Mako or similar NACL H2O dweller.

I could tell by the lack of socketed eyes and the lack of nostrils, as well as those pin shaped teeth that it was a fish, but had no idea what.

Looks like a creature from the pit waiting for us humans to destroy ourselves and then finish off whatever survivors there are. Scary & creepy.

Last edited:
ain't that the truth.

Show that to some of the less grounded among the population, and that is exactly what they will think it is.:rolleyes:

You Boys down South got some gen-u-wine nasty looking critters in the waters down there.

Nebraska Game and Parks says they are present in the Missouri river here ...... I have not seen one of these yet, but have seen some strange fish in there- Burbot, various sturgeon, Skipjack Herring .....

I was going to say that it was the skull of Toothless from the movie 'How to Train Your Dragon', but something tells me that's not the right answer...

They are called Grennel catfish here on Lake Eufaula in Oklahoma, (don't have a clue why since they don't resemble a catfish at all)
My first encounter with one was at Lake Fork Texas, when I saw a guy try to thumb one, into the boat, from the end of his line.
I do a lot of night fishing for bass, and have always thumbed my fish, but after seeing that guys thumb, I have used a net ever since at night.
Guys here that noodle Lake Eufaula absolutely hate these things since they aren't fit to eat, and are really bad to hang under rocks and places where they are looking for catfish.

We call em Grinnel or Dogfish here in Alabama too. They like all creeks, no matter how stagnant. They have a functional lung, like a gar, so they can live in a hot shallow drainage ditch and just gulp air every now and then, if that's all they got. They hit almost any lure or bait. Most of em I've seen will go 3 to 5 pounds, but I understand they will go to 20 or better.

Oklahoma recipe for them...
Nail the fish to a board and wrap in heavy duty aluminum foil and toss on a bed of hot coals. After about 90 minutes, remove from the fire, scrape off the fish and eat the board.

Back