Can you buy ammo out of state and bring into state

Status
Not open for further replies.
Metal god said:
...I don’t see anywhere in that statute that it says a private person can’t bring ammo into the state....

Wrong.

The statute says that a resident of California can't bring ammunition purchased in another State into California. A California resident is a private person.

You need to be more careful about how you say things when discussing legal matters.

You need to be more careful about how you say things when discussing legal matters.

Understood , thought I was building on my previous post/s . I'll treat each post as an individual stand alone post if that's better . Makes for a less fluid conversation but understand the reasoning and agree that was the wrong wording . .

Last edited:
Another point to check on, you mentioned an out of state person bringing in their own ammo to CA (so far so good I think) but then leaving it there.

Now that brings up the question about transferring the ammo. If its left behind, it becomes property of SOMEONE who is a CA resident, (and might that apply even if its thrown away??)

How does the CA law address that, if it does? If your hunting buddy from AZ leaves a box of his ammo in your garage, when he goes home, has it now been transferred to you without going through an FFL dealer and so a violation of the CA law?

I got no clue what the answer is, or who could tell you without paid for professional legal advice, but I can see the potential legal trap that might cause.

I got no clue what the answer is, or who could tell you without paid for professional legal advice, but I can see the potential legal trap that might cause.

That is just one of many issues with the law . There is a consensus not to talk about these debates in detail on open forums . The theory is the law makers monitor them to see how gun enthusiast may follow the letter of the law completely while making the law useless , This helps them write better ones later . Example bullet buttons for AR's so they do not have detachable mags or Featureless components for AR 's that allow them to fall outside the definition of CA assault weapon .

My point , I know many here want to debate the what ifs . I have very little to say on all the things that "may" still allow ammo to be brought into the state legally .

Metal god said:
My point , I know many here want to debate the what ifs . I have very little to say on all the things that "may" still allow ammo to be brought into the state legally .
For California residents, there aren't very many things that still allow ammunition to be brought into the state legally, and those that remain all lead to the ammunition having to be delivered to the end purchaser through a licensed ammunition vendor. The law is clear on that.

Since the law as written applies only to California residents, the law allows non-residents to bring ammunition into California. However, other than shooting it, using is paperweights, or tossing it in a landfill, there's not much else they can do with it. They can't [legally] transfer ammunition to a California resident without going through a licensed ammunition vendor as an intermediary.

So that brings me to another of your statements:

Metal god said:
Correct , I don’t see anywhere in that statute that it says a private person can’t bring ammo into the state and leave it there full stop
What do you mean by "leave it there"? The law doesn't say that if a non-resident brings ammunition into California and doesn't shoot it that he must take the remaining ammunition with him when he leaves California. But even if he "leaves" it, that doesn't make it legal for a California resident to "find" it.

From the law:

(b) Commencing January 1, 2018, the sale, delivery, or transfer of ownership of ammunition by any party may only occur in a face-to-face transaction with the seller, deliverer, or transferor, provided, however, that ammunition may be purchased or acquired over the Internet or through other means of remote ordering if a licensed ammunition vendor initially receives the ammunition and processes the transaction in compliance with this section and Article 3 (commencing with Section 30342) of Chapter 1 of Division 10 of Title 4 of this part.
I'm pretty certain that if a non-resident departs California and abandons some ammunition and a California resident subsequently finds and takes possession of said ammunition, the authorities would consider that a transfer had taken place. And if that transfer didn't go through a licensed ammunition vendor, I'm pretty certain it would be an illegal transfer.

If that's not what you were suggesting by "and leave it there," what did you mean?

What do you mean by

There is a consensus not to talk about these debates in detail on open forums

Doesn't matter what I mean in this open forum , it's the sates burden . I'm in NO WAY advocating of the breaking of any laws as it appears you are trying to get me to say .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back