Can Win296 powder be used in reduced loads?

bobn, you beat me to it. I was just going to say it's time for some new guns!

Along with magnum handgun loads, I also use H110 in 410, 22 Hornet, and 300 Blackout.

"Apples n Oranges; but yes, I agree."

Did I say that 296 and 231 were comparable powders?

Did I say that they have the same usage ranges?

Did I say that they have similar behaviors?

Did I compare them in any way other than saying that I love both Winchester-branded powders, which is NOT a comparison?

In fact, my post very clearly excluded any comparison and addressed the original poster's question about reduced loads by clearly indication that I use as DIFFERENT powder for reduced power in cartridges where I use 296 for full power loads.

I'm not sure why you're thinking that it's a comparison scenario.

To the OP: post your location. There’s probably someone who will trade powders with you. I’ve been doing this quite a bit over the last year. Lots of people use a lot of WW296 in .357mag and .357max guns. It’s more desirable than you think.

I'm not sure why you're thinking that it's (WW296 vs WW231) a comparison scenario.

I didn't. I was just putting my own emphasis that they are different. Didn't mean to step on toes. Sorry.

P.S. Did I miss something, or did we go through an entire page without our OP responding? :D

Agree with the Unique comments. 10.5 grains under 240swc. CFE Pistol powder data is almost identical to Unique, more often in stock.

CFE Pistol powder data is almost identical to Unique,
That's Interesting

But Hodgdon would say different when compared to Universal (which is long seen as "UNIQUE" spelled sideways)

45 Colt 250gr LRNFP
CFE Pistol
MIN 8.4/930fps/10,300 PSI
MAX 9.2/1,014 fps/13,000 PSI

Universal
MIN 6.5 /742fps/9,200 CUP
MAX 7.8/941fps/13,000 CUP

Thoughts? (Other than CFE really looks good by comparison to the old standard)

NOTE: Transcribed data. Do Not Use w/o Going to https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center?rdc=true&type=53

Last edited:
Not quite the same. See below results over chronograph and draw your own conclusion.

Same 250gr RNFP and CCI-300 out of 5 1/2" barrel Ruger .45 Colt:
8.5 Unique.... 970fps
8.5 Universal 984fps
8.5 BE-86...... 961fps
8.5 CFE Pistol 939fps
9.0 CFE Pistol 986fps

240gr SWC, CCI-300 of of 6 1/2" Ruger .44Magnum
10.0 Unique.... 1135fps
10.0 CFE Pistol 1092fps
10.5 CFE Pistol 1130fps

Last edited:
Agree with the Unique comments. 10.5 grains under 240swc. CFE Pistol powder data is almost identical to Unique, more often in stock.
huh? according to the burn rate chart CFE is #42 and Unique is is #32. CFE Pistol is slower burning, and as mehavey and rclark both showed, load data is not close either. In my experience I have had ok results with CFE Pistol in 9mm, but it did not perform well in 38spl or 357 mag well at all compared to several other powders.

I found a load that worked rather well in .357 with CFE Pistol (in my guns).
6.5 CFE Pistol, CCI-500, and 158gr SWC for 1097fps, 34 ES, 9 SD over 15 shots. Marked as 'accurate (like)' in my load table. YMMV of course :) . Each of us has different experiences!

Last edited:
I found a load that worked rather well in .357 with CFE Pistol (in my guns).
6.5 CFE Pistol, CCI-500, and 158gr SWC for 1097fps, 34 ES, 9 SD over 15 shots. Marked as 'accurate (like)' in my load table. YMMV of course :) . Each of us has different experiences!
I'm pushing a bit harder. Got my 158s up in the 1300fps range with lil gun. Got 180s coming and I am hoping to duplicate the buffalo bore load and get them up to 1400fps. CFE pistol does not get me where I m trying to go. I shoot 38s for general use, and I want as much power as I can get out of my 357s without going over max.

but we should probably get back on topic. although since the OP has not logged on since October 22nd, and has only posted twice they may not be coming back.

Last edited:
I suspect he got his answer in the first few posts and left :) . The rest of our posts is just general 'chatter' by gun guys :D .

I still scale 296 for my 44s and 30 us carbine. But for reduced loadings? 231 win is my preferred. Have some of both powders still. Would I reduce 296 suggested loadings? Absolutely not!!

The danger with underloading 296/H110 is getting a squib that sticks a bullet in the barrel, you not noticing, and then having the next round not squib out, but fire up normally and drive a second bullet into the first one. This almost always bulges the barrel. It can burst the gun. Damage is done, either way.

This problem occurs with this powder because it has enough surface deterrent to make its start marginally adequate in pressure to keep the powder burning. Drop it much and it becomes erratic in its behavior. The reason they make it that way is it allows a lot of powder to be put in the case without going overpressure and then it has enough gas-making capacity to keep the pressure fairly high past the peak, which is why bullet velocity goes up nicely with barrel length. But this does limit its usefulness to near-full-pressure magnum loads.

Back