Can the way you dress make you a target?

How about Levis (not really, just boot cut Wranglers) cowboy boots. Western hat and a white Tee shirt that says, "Never take a knife to a gunfight, Dude!" ?

Person A= Is wearing a polo shirt neatly and tightly tucked in a pair of shorts. Wearing a belt with just a cell phone hanging on it. Also wearing some white socks and gym shoes.
This is how I usually dress if I am out and about in a casual manner. The exception would be topsiders instead of gym shoes.

Your expectations would prove to be very wrong about whether I was armed. You could expect a .38spl J frame, or a .45ACP 1911 concealed on my person, depending on whether I left home in a hurry or not. If you messed up and let me get to my vehicle, you would find a 12 gauge in my hands.

A hoodlum might not think I was armed, I get your point there, but I'm not going to dress any different because it might make people think twice.

The obvious pick is the person unaware of his surroundings, regardless of his clothing. Criminals don't select victims based on who may be armed and who may be unarmed. They select victims based on how quickly they believe they can overpower them. If you are aware, it does not matter if you are wearing a Speedo and flip flops. The garden variety criminal will let you pass by and wait for the unaware or distracted victim.

If I was a would-be robber (not very likely at my age) I'd go to law school, run for public office, claim a fictional disability or see if I could get a government handout for not growing cotton. Or maybe all four. Not much money in muggings these days, but it seems government scams are progressivly profitable.

Of your three victims probably A would be the least risk and C would be the most potentially rewarding. Except in states where there is CCW and Kel Tec dealer. :D

I think that attitiude, age, gender, race and clothing all make a contribution to victim selection. At age 60 I see people sizing me up at the ATM. On the subways in Italy there are people whose sole job is to pick targets for the pickpocket teams.
If you are walking down Embarcadero in San Francisco at the exact time that the crackhead has a withdrawal induced panic attack, you will become a target no matter who you are. There are many factors, but I think the perception that you are armed and determined is a big avoidance factor for the criminals.
Behavior is significant, ghetto people know exactly how much money is in their pocket at all times. They perceive a person who counts his/her money in public as a braggart. Don't flaunt it! You should always have a means of defense and a means of escape.

way too complicated for me. I think how you 'carry' yourself, and how you demonstrate your awarness, is more important than what you are dressed in.

I would choose "A". Anyone who tucks a polo shirt into shorts deserves to be beaten within an inch of their lives.

Muggin's

I'm an old Fart! I carry a cane!

It's a 1" oak "fighting cane," with a wider neck than most, and the "crook" comes to a sharpened end. Go on line and type in "Cane Fighting." The cane is always in my hand ready for any attack. Not hidden under any cloths that require reaching for the weapon. I have a good 6' reach with the cane. I would take the cane over any knife and if you don't have your gun in your hand, best not give me any forwarning of wicked intent. The worst thing about the cane is that we have forgotten how easy it is to kill with a stick. A head blow that is made with much force is leathel. Useing methods described in some of the on line teachings of Cane Fighting, you can easly hold off more than one attacker.
There are NO restrictions in carying a cane. You can take it any where at any time, and many times, you will be offered help because of the thoughts that you are cripled. Far from it! Armed with a cane, you are the most leathel weapon at hand and you are ready for action in a split second.

I might add here that I am not a typical OLD MAN. I swim, usually at least 4 miles a week and practice my cane fighting techniques often. I don't feel above being attached, but I am far better armed than most anyone would think. And it's Sneekie, treachous and fun to do, and gives you the confidence to display that LOOK that says, "Pick another target.". LOL :D

I live in Nevada where gun law's are some of the most liberal in the USA and I own guns and carry when it's practical.
Just thought I would comment about this, since it's a pretty well kept secret.
Regards.... Elk . . .

Are you talking about a CaneMasters cane? Cool!

It's funny, but if you try to get on an airline flight with a Kubotan on your keychain, they'll confiscate it (and they have the option of charging you). If you go to get on that same flight with an oak "fighting" cane, which looks for all intents and purposes like a regular wooden "old man's" cane, you can take it on. Heck, I don't know for sure if the TSA differentiates between regular and combat canes. If I showed up, claimed a medical (knee) infirmity, walked with a limp, and carried a CaneMasters cane, would they stop me and say, "No way, this is a 'combat cane,' you can't pass with it"?

-blackmind

elksnoutmtman
Good idea, with the gray hair I might be able to get away with it, without drawing too much attention to myself

Back