Can someone explain the difference in between the various "role" guns?

you going to drive with a putter?

putt with a 7 iron?

-------------

PGA rules how many clubs you can take onto the course
you decide which ones based on the particulars of the course and the elements;
as weather affects your decision, so does fast greens or tall rough

some have $$$ and buy top shelf
others play the game on a budget and have what works but may lack some bells & whistles

------------

to carry in New England your going to dress for different seasons (3) than a Fl person (2 -- hot and hot with bugs).

so the gun(s) need to fit you, your life style, your perceived needs and how you dress regards where you are going & the weather

to carry in New England your going to dress for different seasons (3) than a Fl person (2 -- hot and hot with bugs).

so the gun(s) need to fit you, your life style, your perceived needs and how you dress regards where you are going & the weather

Good point. I also live in New England where we have all four seasons, where it can range from -0 to 100+ degrees.

The role gun exists because no one gun can fill every role.

My initial question could be condensed down using your comment.

Is it or is it not true that some roles are just invented to justify another buy? Could we not say that there are no guns that are somehow specifically suited to "shower" duty?
As such saying one wants to buy a "shower gun" is really just a case of I want to buy a gun?

For example any of my existing guns could fill that gap without needed a new one.
Make sense?

Every gun has a role it is intended to fill, and that's usually the one it is best at. However there is a huge amount of overlap, and often guns that are the best in one role can serve acceptably well in another.

Some roles are virtually mutually exclusive. A gun intended for concealed carry isn't a good choice to take on an elk. Likewise, you're going to have a tough time concealing a long barrel S&W or Ruger wearing a Hawaiian shirt and polo shorts...

Shower guns and motel guns are just modern labels for long existing categories. How about a boat gun? Like a shower gun, the object is one that is essentially impervious to moisture. One gun will work for both, its just a matter of what the person calls it.

Perhaps instead of "role" we should say "tool" or "application". A Ruger Super Blackhawk or Virginian Dragoon is just right for bear country but really doesn't cut it for CCW or even bedside use, a Colt Detective Special is just right for CCW or bedside but in bear country....nor is it that good on the target range or teaching a new shooter (or yourself).

I think a help group should be organised!

And here I thought THIS was the help group (LOLOLOL)

Not sure how much help we are getting tho (LOL).

As to shower guns, I never had one, don't take showers, baths. And I had a lot of those when I was a kid, they all used H2O (water pistols.)

I did scuba dive when I was younger and had a spear gun for that, does that count??

Now I know where my problem stems from (LOL.)

Jim

Yes and no.

A lot of people have multiple guns because they feel certain types are better for certain purposes. A Ruger LC9 makes a fine pistol to carry, but probably won't be great for hunting or shooting IPSC competitions. Equally, a STI race gun isn't something to conceal carry every day.

Do a lot of people have extreme niche "uses" in order to buy new guns? Probably. :o
If it serves a purpose, and doesn't detract from higher priorities, meh, go for it!

So are you saying that Skeeter Skelton was wrong when he settled down upon the 357 as his all purpose cartridge? Or that Elmer Keith was wrong when he eventually settled down upon his 41 magnum as his go to caliber?

It goes like this:
Truck gun- cheap, don't care if it gets all scratched and rusted up, but you still want it to be super reliable. A good candidate is a S&W Model 10.
Nightstand gun- something handy enough to grab and operate easily if you get woken up in the middle of the night. Think S&W Model 10.
Carry gun- something handy, natural feeling, that gets into action quickly and has enough stopping power to end a "serious social situation" quickly and decisively. Kind of like a S&W Model 10.
Shower gun- better see your shrink about this. If you feel the need to go armed to take a shower, consider a S&W Model 66 (Hah! Thought I was going to say Model 10, didn't you?).
As far as a motel gun, I don't know. I am married.

I'll admit to having 4:

1. A P3AT for light clothing and running
2. A .38 snub for "around the house" pocket duty
3. A compact 9mm for "standard" carry
4. A stainless .357 for hiking and canoeing and the like

All others are for collecting or sentimental reasons.

Would the .380 do everything I need? Statistically, yes. Would the .380 do everything as well as the others if needed? No.

Excuse to buy more guns....to a point

As far as I am concerned I own firearms for one of three reasons. A gun is either for Hunting, Self Defense, or training. Some can cross boundaries but those are the reasons I will own a gun.

For example I own a Mossberg 500. I train with it, Hunt with it, and it is our main home defense firearm.

I own enough pistols of various sizes that I can literally be armed 99.9% of the time. That is all about personal defense. None of my pistols are safe queens or anything more than tools. I don't collect guns in the sense of buying them as prized possessions. All of my guns have been shot and many have been shot an awful lot.

I do however own a woods gun: Glock 29 4th gen with a ss guide rod and heavy spring for the hottest 10mm loads I can muster. That is all about being able to put down an attack from 4 or two legged critters in the woods. I bought it specifically because none of my other pistols fit that bill and this one did.

I own pocket guns although my G42 may just replace the other two combined. That is specifically targeted at being able to carry a gun when your wardrobe wouldn't accommodate it otherwise.

I own and EDC with is a G26 Gen 4.

I own a winter EDC which is a 19 gen 4 simply because I shoot it a hair better and in the winter I can get away with a bit more gun.

My Fiance owns two pistols a 26 gen 4 and the Charter undercover .38 that she started on those are her EDC and backup EDC.

I own a rifle that is my hunting rifle

I own an AR because I wanted the best in personal protection and defense should we ever need it.

I own 22s in both pistol and rifle because we wanted to shoot cheaper and because the 22 rifle is a good small game gun.

The list could go on but the overriding point there is that every single gun purchase I made was for a justifiable reason.

As far as I'm concerned, I own firearms for one reason. I want to.

I enjoy them. And that's what matters most.

Some guns I own for no "better" reason than I was curious about them. Some I own because they are my favorite, or best for a particular use.

And while I consider them prized possessions, I don't have safe queens, although some I don't shoot very much, or very regularly. A couple of mine are over the century mark, and so don't get frequent use. Some of them are multigenerational family heirlooms.

A few are even guns still in current production!;)
Rifles from .22LR to .458 Win Mag, handguns from .22LR to .45 Win Mag, and 12ga & .410 shotguns. And while I don't have one for some of the very specialized applications, I have something for a pretty wide variety of uses. And "practical" uses are what my opinion says they are, for me.

For every gun in my gun safe, I have an excuse, . . . a reason, . . . or a purpose.

I bought em, . . . I paid for em, . . . I like em, . . . I have fun with em, . . . so what is the problem?

My Beretta Stampede .45LC is probably the prettiest, . . . but I don't take it along with me when I go to the city, . . . my ugly old beat up .45 commander does that job.

If I just feel like popping caps, . . . I've got a couple Beretta .22 auto loaders and a .22 Ruger revolver with a 1/4 pound trigger.

The role each plays is in MY life, . . . and when I'm sod temperature, . . . they will do the same for someone else.

May God bless,
Dwight

you know, changing the ammunition can change a role very easily provided you bought an adequate cartridge base to start with.

I once burnt the heck out of myself trying to shower with my barbecue gun, my wife once found my hotel gun and it was time to drag out my couch gun...others have hit the nail on the head, different guns have different applications and fill different roles.

Women have a pair of shoes for every occasion. Men have guns for every occasion. It's just the way of the world.:)

80% of the guns I purchase have no specific purpose - I don't carry them, I don't stick them next to my bed; I don't even use them for range guns. But, with each of them, there was something unique, interesting, attractive or collectible about it that lead me to purchase it. With some, I do enjoy taking them apart and examining the way they were made, the parts, the fit and finish.

Two people spend $8,000 on a fine Swiss watch. One bought his watch because he admires the precision and uniqueness of a particular watch; the other bought his watch because he thinks it telegraphs to others his success. Do you think you could, with a reasonable degree of accuracy, tell which is which?

Last edited:
You couldn't be further from the truth, and what a ridiculous generalization‎.
I agree, a very ridiculous generalization. To imply that owning more than a few guns is simply conspicuous consumption is not only wrong but it's insulting.

Or that Elmer Keith was wrong when he eventually settled down upon his 41 magnum as his go to caliber?
When exactly did this happen???

I do believe that Skeeter was also a huge fan of the .44Spl.

Its definitely an excuse to own more guns, and a good excuse at that :D .

Just like having different pairs of shoes for different uses, or different tools for different jobs.

You wouldn't wear dress shoes to play sports would you? Or use a flat-head screw driver when you need a phillips head, or use a knife when you need an axe?

Back