Can someone explain optics?

I'm looking to put a scope on my Marlin model 60. I want a good one...

My favorite is the Weaver 4x28 (4 power magnification with a 28mm objective lens) rimfire scope. That, and the other Weaver Classic Rimfire models, are still made in Japan, as far as I know.
My second choice would be one of the Nikon rimfire models.

Funny what guys opinions are...

The more power the better for picking the hair on the target imho!

I use to have a 6-24x40 on my bolt action Marlin 780 with adjustable objective, ie no parallax issues. At 24x I could pinpoint a spot ON my target, not just the whole animal!

math teacher made the most meaningful post. Parallax is an issue. If you have a rimfire rifle (22 LR) you need a scope that is optimized for rimfire use. Weaver makes some good ones. No sense in putting a top end centerfire scope on a rimfire rifle and end up with blurry images at close ranges.

x bullchit, you need to conform to the standards for the industry when you describe things. 3-9x40 is correct. 3x9x40 is not. Call it nit-picking if you want, it's still wrong and you confuse people when you don't use accepted standard callouts. 2x4 lumber dimensioning has absolutely nothing to do with a rifle scope description.

flashhole, I was merely pointing out *why* we used 3x9x40 when variable scopes were first offered. That did indeed come from how we talked about lumber.

Wasn't all that long ago, either. Weaver began it with the KV in 1950. Bausch&Lomb didn't come out with the BalVar until the 1960s.

Okay......someone mis-pronouncing "Leupold" or "Sako": I'll give them a break. But, when I hear some know-it-all speak of a "3 BY 9" scope, I pretty much ignore anything else he/she says from then on....

If all else fails, read the directions

I often recall the saying; "If all else fails, read the directions". in this case, if all else fails, read what is written on the end of the scope box. Even a Day-old Boot can understand that and yes, that would also include Walmart clerks. ....... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8cnYpjHFkQ

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
3 to 9 by 40 is how I believe the terminology should read and it is written 3-9x40. However we all call it what we want to and we all know what the other guy means if he doesn't use the same terminology. You guys want to know what really gets me irritated? The people who don't know the proper use of the words THEN and THAN.

what about their, there and they're or it's and its or hear and here or bare and bear or your and you're or beat and beet or ...

Another item, I use my .22 Savage Mark 2 as a training rifle for my bigger savages. So, I put the same scope on it as my other rifles. At times it wears a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40, others it carries a Vortex Viper HST 4-16x50.

Since the stock is similar and the trigger is identical, the use of the same reticle really helps my long range shooting by eliminating flinch when I develop it on the bigger rifles.

I usually shoot my .22 at 100-150 to help refine the skills needed for long range center fire. At 150 yards with a .22 on a bolt action the skill needed is very similar to that needed on a center fire at 500-800 yards.

With the arcing rainbow trajectory of .22LR at 200 yards it replicates the difficulty of >800 yards in my .30 and .284 calibers.

So figure out what you want to DO with your .22 and get an optic that does it. I have a red dot on one of my .22's cause all I want to do with it is hit little green army men and aluminum cans.

Back