Can never be too careful!

If you treat every gun as if it is loaded, then there won’t be a disaster when a cartridge shows up in a gun.
This post is the very reason that there are layers of gun safety steps. If one step is missed, the process of handling a gun is still safe.

Even if the gun is loaded and you squeeze the trigger and it goes off, but was pointed in a safe direction no one gets hurt. Not advocating this, just making a point.

I’m sure the OP wasn’t pointing the gun in an unsafe direction or touching the trigger.

Sorry to sound ugly, but you Sir, are the reason I visit the range on a Tuesday morning, when no one is there.
I applaud the OP for making the post, the act of writing this post will help the OP and others.

Or... I go shoot BLM where nobody is within 10 miles.

If you think that you will never make any kind of mistake, then yes, stay far away from others.

Prof - the good news is that you were practicing your other safety procedures and no one was hurt.

I've told this before somewhere on this forum, but I have three very good friends, each of them smart, capable and trustworthy guys. Two of them have shot their own furniture (unintentionally) and the third came close to shooting his own foot. They were all handling guns they were sure were unloaded.

Those guys admitting their errors to me was a great lesson for me. They each knew they were setting themselves up for some ridicule but I appreciated the honesty so much I didn't take that opportunity. I think about those guys every time I look at a gun and that is what has, so far, kept me from making a similar error.

I agree with the notion that sharing this kind of story helps all of us . Thank you, Prof.

A guy I have bought a few firearms from shot himself in the foot. Literally. In his truck.

I always equate it to "things you simply never do" when riding (motorcycles).. Life-changing consequences. It's not hard, just takes discipline.

Went to a gun show in Hamburg NY many years ago. Man shot himself in the leg while holstering a gun. Bullet hit his femoral artery. Died in the parking lot. Be careful out there.

I know I'll get flack for this but I never never keep a bullet in the chamber.

No long story here but many years ago, a fellow I knew handed his revolver to his wife, it dropped it fired and killed her. Since then I never chamber a bullet unless I'm going to fire it, never

I've practiced CC without a bullet in the chamber and I'm very fast chambering one, the only possible issue is maybe chambering a bullet could possibly go wrong. I understand that.

A competitive professional shooter I have shot with before at a friends range -
Shot the tip of his index finger off in competition.
It was an AR and the new competition Forearm hold has you extending your left hand almost to the muzzle.
Ugh
It feels entirely unnatural to me.

Did a little backyard shooting this week with my carry pistol and an AR pistol. This thread was in my mind. Threads like this are important in my opinion.

BTW I always forget how much fun AR pistols are especially in 300AAC.
Kept my finger away from the muzzle too. It’s not that far away lol.

Wise words from my Dad. Unloaded guns kill people.

Ed4032, maybe your Dad read Mark Twain. In a speech he titled "Advice to Youth" Twain said "A youth who can't hit a cathedral at thirty yards with a Gatling gun ... can take up an empty old musket and bag his grandmother every time."

One of my safety practices is that my semiautos have a snap cap in the chamber for storage, for dry fire I use a nickel/stainless magazine in a blued gun, a blued magazine in a nickel/stainless gun.

We had a customer come into the store to have his gun appraised. We took the gun and dropped the magazine, pulled the slide and a round came out. He was embarrassed.

We continue to double check our guns even from the display case to ensure they are empty.

We push safety training, at another place/competitor because they have a range and a safety course. We may lose a sale at first, but a repeat customer in the long run.

Back