Can I use these?

Just FYI, I ran a test of 1000 rounds in a XDM, where I used .357 diameter copper plated bullets for the 9 MM. All shot great, no issue whatsoever. Accurate too. Probably because they were not jacketed and harder, and the copper plated is relatively soft.

Then after that, I bought a LEE sizer in .356 and ran the rest through it to make them more normal for 9 MM.

I would not recommend solid copper, or jacketed, or premium type bullets oversize. Only copper plated.

Just FYI, I ran a test of 1000 rounds in a XDM, where I used .357 diameter copper plated bullets for the 9 MM. All shot great, no issue whatsoever. Accurate too. Probably because they were not jacketed and harder, and the copper plated is relatively soft.

Then after that, I bought a LEE sizer in .356 and ran the rest through it to make them more normal for 9 MM.

I would not recommend solid copper, or jacketed, or premium type bullets oversize. Only copper plated.
yes, copper plated is softer, with jacketed the copper is generally worked and formed making it work harden. Some solid copper bullets are CNC machined, leaving them softer, as well depending on the specific alloy of copper they use. That is also why a lot of solid copper bullets have grooves cut into the bearing surface, to reduce friction and give the displaced copper a place to go.

I have run .357 lead through my 9mm before, but got better results with .356, never tried .357 plated or jacketed.

How did the sizing of the plated bullets work out? any increased friction or resistance? Did they size down properly?

Hi. They size down easily, even if you don't spray them with ONE SHOT.

Use this.
https://leeprecision.com/new-lube-size-kit-.356.html

its very little effort. I really can't tell the difference shooting .356 or .357. As you said, plated is soft. You really can tell when you run it through that LEE sizer. They go down to .356 very smoothly. So since 9MM bores are basically .356, I can see why they work.

Yes, they measure .356 after you run them through, and you can see the side of the bullet looks sort of like being pulled a little bit. Barely noticeable.

Hi. They size down easily, even if you don't spray them with ONE SHOT.

Use this.
https://leeprecision.com/new-lube-size-kit-.356.html

its very little effort. I really can't tell the difference shooting .356 or .357. As you said, plated is soft. You really can tell when you run it through that LEE sizer. They go down to .356 very smoothly. So since 9MM bores are basically .356, I can see why they work.

Yes, they measure .356 after you run them through, and you can see the side of the bullet looks sort of like being pulled a little bit. Barely noticeable.
Very cool. I currently have the lee app press for brass processing and bullet sizing. They run a different style insert for bullet sizing. So far I have .357, .358. and .359. I need to get a .356 to round out my collection. Mainly focused on 38/357 so far.

I’ve used Xtreme 125gr .357 truncated cone bullets in my 9mm’s just fine. My final step in loading is the Lee FCD and these rounds plunked in all of my 9mm pistols and fed and fired flawlessly using my standard load for 124gr bullets using mixed brass. I have a fair amount of both bullets in stock but from now on I’m ordering the .357 version for simplicity. Besides, when 9mm was always out of stock the .357 usually was in stock so availability was more consistent.

I’ve used Xtreme 125gr .357 truncated cone bullets in my 9mm’s just fine. My final step in loading is the Lee FCD and these rounds plunked in all of my 9mm pistols and fed and fired flawlessly using my standard load for 124gr bullets using mixed brass. I have a fair amount of both bullets in stock but from now on I’m ordering the .357 version for simplicity. Besides, when 9mm was always out of stock the .357 usually was in stock so availability was more consistent.
That's not a bad idea.... and I could always size them down to .356 if I needed to. The versatility seems like a fantastic idea!

The pressure dropped mainly from the throat and neck being opened and adding to the space the powder was burning in once the bullet got into the bore. Also, a lesser factor is that prior to being squeezed down, the bullet had a few percent lower sectional density than the 30, so it jumped into the throat a little faster. Still, you wouldn't expect that much drop. Fascinating test.

Incidentally, on groove diameter, Elmer Keith mentions in the 1961 edition of his book Sixguns that at that time Colt and S&W had taken to lapping their revolver bores, a move that greatly reduced leading. In that scenario, you would expect bores starting at .356" could wind up closer to .357", though that is a fair amount of lapping. So I am speculating that lapping or lack thereof might explain some of the observed groove diameter differences among guns. I would not expect that practice to be common today unless it could be automated.

This seems to me to be like a dumb question coming from a reloader with 47 years of experience, but it just occurred to me today.

I have been loading 125gr Remington, followed by Winchester, ".38-.357" hollow-point bullets that measure .356" in diameter for my use in .38 Special and .357 Mag.

I started to reload some 115gr for 9mm tonight and one of the posts here that I saw today gave me the impression that most are using 124gr for their 9mm.
That makes sense if one wishes to compare it to .38/.357.

I recently bought Berry's 9mm 124gr bullets that measure .356" and it struck me that there should be no reason why I can't use the inventory of Winchester 125gr (cannelured) .356 that I have for 9mm.

But I want to be cautious, so I ask: can I do this?
Yes you can use 9mm bullets in 38 special / 357 magnum , I've been doing it for a long time . I was doing before the Lee Factory Crimp Die was invented .
To crimp smooth sided 9mm bullets in the 38 / 357 case I simple use the taper crimp die from a set of 9mm Luger dies . Adjust for a firm taper crimp and even with magnum and 38 Special +P loads the bullets don't creep forward under recoil . You do have to adjust the taper crimp die from 9mm Luger to 38 special or 357 magnum ...but it just requires a little screwing around ...not exactly rocket science .
Gary

Gary, thanks for your thoughts and experience, but you misunderstood my question. I questioned if 125gr HP bullets labeled for use in .38 and .357 could be loaded in my 9mm.

Back