Can I shoot 38 Super in a Taurus 605?

Here's some additional information about the 38 Super and 357 Magnum from SAAMI.

First, guns chambered for a given round are supposed to handle 'proof' ammo for that caliber. The proof ammo runs at a much higher pressure than regular ammo.

As has already been pointed out, the SAAMI limit for 357 Magnum is 35,000 psi. The SAAMI limit for 38 Super is 36,500 psi. That's a difference of 1,500 psi. That's not much.

The proof ammo for 357 Magnum is 50,500 psi. The proof ammo for 38 Super is 52,500 psi.

If a 357 Magnum is supposed to be able to handle a proof load of 50,500 psi, it should be able to handle a standard 38 Super of 36,500 psi.

A 38 Super will fit in some 357 Magnum chambers. It seems to fit in most of mine, though with some it's a close fit. Should the 38 Super be fired in a 357 Magnum revolver? Just about everyone will agree with the statement that it should not, if for no other reason than it is the "wrong ammo".

How is the barrel not "right" for the 38 Super???

Nominal bore dimensions for a .358" bullet vs a .355" one.

didn't say it wouldn't work, said its "not right".

Ruger .357/9mm convertible Blackhawks prove it can work. But the ,357 barrel is still "not right" for the 9mm bullets.

If a 357 Magnum is supposed to be able to handle a proof load of 50,500 psi, it should be able to handle a standard 38 Super of 36,500 psi.

If it won't then that .357 is SERIOUSLY DEFECTIVE. :D

This is a point some people don't seem to get. SAAMI "max" pressures are "max" WORKING LIMITS. They're the limit the gun should handle day in, day out, forever. Proof pressures are just that, significantly higher than working pressure, to "prove" the gun is sound, up to that limit.

The actual point where the gun will be damaged is, and should be well BEYOND proof pressures.

If a load combination slightly exceeds the listed SAAMI working max pressure, your gun will not turn into a grenade, and you will not be eaten by dragons.

That being said, you CAN go too far, and you CAN blow up anything (even Rugers!!) and its up to you to see that you don't.

If you have a tachometer on your car, and know how to use it, think of SAAMI pressure specs as the "red line". Its not the limit you cannot exceed, its the limit you should not exceed,

Nominal bore dimensions for a .358" bullet vs a .355" one.

didn't say it wouldn't work, said its "not right".

Ruger .357/9mm convertible Blackhawks prove it can work. But the ,357 barrel is still "not right" for the 9mm bullets.

Where are you getting your nominal bore dimensions?

SAAMI barrel specs for the 9mm Luger and 38 Special/357 Magnum are exactly the same. .355" groove .346" bore (+ .004").
https://saami.org/wp-content/upload...FP-and-R-Approved-2015-12-14-Posting-Copy.pdf

Those SAAMI barrel specs are also the same for 9X23 Winchester, 356 TSW, 380 Automatic, 38 Automatic and 38 Super Automatic +P, and 357 SIG.

Having slugged lots of 9mm (N=15) and 38/357 barrels (N=8), there is no difference in groove diameter.

I've accuracy tested a Ruger New Model Blackhawk convertible with a 38/357 cylinder and a 9mm cylinder in a Ransom Rest. The barrel slugged .3577". With factory ammo, it is equally accurate with 38 Special, 357 Magnum and 9mm Luger ammo. The most accurate load was a handloaded 9mm with a .355" Sierra JHP bullet, placing 24 shots in 1.40" at 25 yards, fired from a Ransom Rest. I guess that 357 barrel is okay with 9mm bullets.

I buy (or size) bullets that I load in 38 Super at .356. In a Shooting Times article on handloading 38 Super the author used bullets from .355 to .357. He also had slugged nine different 38 Super barrels and they ranged from .355 to .3575. Only two slugged .356 and these were some expensive "match" barrels, stock Colt, and Para Ordnance, among others.

44 I hate to disagree but if the forcing cone etc are not suitable for the 38 super bullets then they are not suitable for 357 magnum bullets. Both can be reloaded with the same bullets from .355 to .357 or even .358. The 38 super does NOT use .358 bullets. They are in fact commonly loaded with .355 and .356 bullets just like 9mm in common practice and can safely be reloaded with 38 special .357 bullets and lead .358 bullets. While 38 super is not optimal for firing out of a .357 to say it's because of the barrel or forcing cone is flat out wrong. It's really just a case dimension issue more than anything and the difference in diameter is inconsequential. As I said before the most likely problem will be failure to extract but not a catastrophic failure of any sort.

Ruger made the first batch of mini 30s with .308 bores and then switched to .311 later on. The 0.03 difference in general terms is insignificant with lead and lead jacketed bullets that will simply deform to conform to the barrel. Steel is not right for bullet jackets but a lot of people put bimetal jackets on their ammo. There is ideal and then there is the real world. rc

I believe that many years ago the Super .38 (correct terminology) was actually bigger than it is now. It seems like in the 1970s the ammunition manufacturers started using the .356 bullets because of compatibility with .38 Special and 9mm, and to keep costs down.

I believe that many years ago the Super .38 (correct terminology) was actually bigger than it is now. It seems like in the 1970s the ammunition manufacturers started using the .356 bullets because of compatibility with .38 Special and 9mm, and to keep costs down.

What was it before?

Why is it no one has explained to the OP that he bought the wrong ammunition and he should not try to shoot it in his revolver? Take it back to the store or, if you already opened the boxes, sell it to someone who has a 38 Super, and buy the correct ammunition for your gun.

Good grief!

Dave

I believe that many years ago the Super .38 (correct terminology) was actually bigger than it is now.

I'll have to do some checking, but I believe the gun was called the Super .38 and round was still called the .38acp in the increased loading for a while, and then essentially became the "38 Super" because that was what everyone was calling it anyway.

As to .38 super in a .357 revolver I don't consider it "right" because the gun wasn't made for the round. We can argue about how much, if any, difference a few thousandths of an inch makes and what can be shoved through where, but I'm of the opinion that just because you can, doesn't make it "right".

Just my opinion, and worth what you paid for it.

When Colt introduced the gun in December 1928, it was called the Colt Super .38 Automatic Pistol. It was chambered in 38 Automatic. Velocity was a 130 grain bullet at 1190 fps.

In 1933, Remington listed just one round in their catalogs. A 38 Super Automatic Colt Pistol round with a 130 grain bullet at 1300 fps. Same thing in 1935 catalog. Available in Metal Case or Mushroom Hollow Point.

In 1936, Remington listed two cartridges. A 38 Colt Automatic Pistol round with a 130 grain bullet at 1050 fps, and the 38 Super Automatic Colt Pistol with a 130 grain bullet at 1300 fps.

Nothing like helpng a new shooter and new TFL member form good habits and get started down the right path.

(Sarcasm alert) With these here guns,anything you an get away with is OK fine. Too bad they took down all the old youtube jackass gun videos. They was good fun and had lots of "hold my beer" ways to have fun with a gun.

Now in these here passing contests we have,all that matters is wetting higher on the tree. Smarts ain't got nothing to do with it.

Later on down the road,when our OP gets to reloading,why heck,he;ll know all about just stuff it in there and it will go "bang" At least once.Heck,its all gunpowder,aint it?

(End sarcasm alert)

Note to OP: You can always find someone who will argue in favor of YOU doing something stupid with a gun.

Dave T did you read all of the first replies to this thread, especially post #5?

Yes I did. My comment was directed to most of the responses arguing about whether or not 38 Supers will fit in someone's 38 or 357 revolver, and what the correct groove diameter and bullet diameter is for 38 Super, 9mm, and 357 Magnum. They all seem to be missing the point.

Dave

Your point is well taken.

1. Whether or not .38 Super will chamber in a particular .357Magnum revolver (and it is likely that it will), it should not be fired in a .357Mag revolver.

2. While there are some cartridges which can be safely fired in guns not specifically marked for that particular cartridge (e.g. .38Special can be safely fired in a .357Magnum revolver, and .44 Special can be safely fired in a .44 Magnum revolver) the .38 Super should only be fired in guns specifically marked as being chambered for .38 Super.

Back