Can I shoot 38 Super in a Taurus 605?

RCWarjet

Inactive
I hope somebody still out there reading this forum, I just joined today. Question is I just bought a new Taurus 605 357 Magnum and curious if I can shoot 38 Super Auto + p ammo in it. In my haste and excitement after buying the gun I saw on the Shelf some boxes of 38 Super and not knowing the difference took them home. I would appreciate any feedback you might have, thanks!

The 38 Super is a fatter cartridge (0.384") than the 357Mag (0.379"),
and larger than even the 357Mag chamber itself (0.3809")

The Super probably won't chamber

I hope somebody still out there reading this forum, I just joined today. Question is I just bought a new Taurus 605 357 Magnum and curious if I can shoot 38 Super Auto + p ammo in it. In my haste and excitement after buying the gun I saw on the Shelf some boxes of 38 Super and not knowing the difference took them home. I would appreciate any feedback you might have, thanks!

We just had a thread on this.

No, you can't. Or, you shouldn't, even if you could get it to chamber.

In a word...No.
The case is too big, the rim is too thin and the .38 Super +P loads to a higher pressure.

DISCLAIMER: Due to the nature of your question, the fact that is your very first post on the forum, as well as a high volume of new firearms owners emerging in the wake of the Corona Virus (COVID-19) outbreak, I am assuming that you are inexperienced with firearms or at least with revolvers, ergo the following is written under the aforementioned assumption. Reader discretion is advised.

No, it shouldn't be able to chamber, and even if it somehow can, it still shouldn't be done.

.38 Super Auto is a semiautomatic pistol cartridge which isn't related to .38 Special nor .357 Magnum, it's basically a turbocharged version of the obsolete .38 Automatic Colt Pistol cartridge. (Not to be confused with .380 ACP, which is entirely different cartridge, which also cannot/should not be fired from a Taurus 605 or any other .38 Special/.357 Magnum Revolver.)

Generally speaking, you should never attempt to fire any ammunition out of a firearm that isn't chambered for it or otherwise isn't rated for it. Plenty of cartridges are similar enough in dimension to chamber in firearms they were intended to be fired from, but it's typically a recipe for disaster, one way or another, so just don't do it.

Get some proper .38 Special or .357 Magnum because that's what the gun was chambered in. (No other cartridges with ".38" or ".357" in their name can or otherwise ought to be fired from your Taurus 605.)

In closing, there are lots of cartridges out there with similar names, but very few of them are interchangeable, including ones which are just shorter versions of existing cartridges, but you're ONLY supposed to use cartridges which are intended to be shot from the firearm. (Information regarding which cartridges can be fired from your firearm are generally available online, in the owners manual, and should be engraved somewhere on the firearm's barrel.)

My Taurus Judge will chamber .444 Marlin, but that doesn't mean that it's safe to shoot it.

For reference here: The peak operating pressure for .357 Magnum is 35,000psi, whereas the peak operating pressure for .38 Super is 36,500psi as per SAAMI Specifications, ergo .38 Super's is 1500psi higher than .357 Magnum.

In other words, even if .38 Super can chamber in your .357 Magnum Revolver, it exceeds the pressure threshold said revolver was designed to function within and thus will damage the firearm. How many shots would it actually take to permanently damage the firearm? I don't know, but regardless, it shouldn't be done.

Nevermind the obvious addition issues which could arise including issues ejecting the spent cases.

I never said it was safe to shoot it. That had already been covered in the thread.
I said most of my .38s would CHAMBER it.
I tried a brand new S&W 637, a Colt Cobra, A Colt Detective Special, a Charter Arms Undercover, a S&W model 60, and an Eig S&W model 36 copy. All chambered Super .38.
A Rossi 68 and a 1930s S&W Hand Ejector would not chamber the Super round.

So- you CAN shoot Super .38 in many .38 Special guns- but you certainly shouldn't.

Yes and No

The general wisdom is you should only shoot ammunition in a gun that is clearly marked on the chamber or barrel. Having said that there are many instances where people get away with substituting different ammunition. Some revolvers have been made that have an extractor allowing them to shoot 380 auto, 9mm luger, 38 super, 38 special and 357 magnum.

In the 327 Federal chambered revolvers you can get away with shooting 32 S&W, 32 Long, 32 H&R magnum, and 327 Federal. All share the same rim dimensions, headspace fine and eject fine. However, only 32 mag and 327 are accurate in that chambering due to the long jump to the chamber throats.
You can get away in a pinch with shooting 32ACP out of them too. But the extractors will not do a good job ejecting the cases.

There are utube videos showing 40S&W shot out of 10mm auto barrel chambered guns.

It's a common practice to shoot 38 specials out of 357 magnum revolvers.

Now if you were trying to shoot 38 super in a 38 special I would tell you absolutely no! Pressure of the 38 super is higher. But if your gun is chambered in 357 magnum and the 38 super will chamber, pressure is NOT an issue. While your revolver may not extract very well, I don't think you would have any serious problems. Of course, it's a risk only you can decide. I'm not recommending the practice. 38 super is more expensive than 38 special for practice in your gun and a much better choice. But in you likely will have no lasting ill effects. Bullets are really about the same diameter or a little less. Accuracy may not be very good.

Here's the other recent thread on this: EAA Windicator 357mag/.38 Special 2'' .

Hi everyone, I had a question about my ammo i bought for my EAA Windicator 357 mag/.38 Special 2'' barrel. The stores around me are sold out of almost every thing and i couldn't find any 357's ammo or .38 special.... I did find a box of .38 Super..... My Question is, is it okay/or can i use the .38 Super with my Windicator??

.38 Super cartridge is larger diameter than .357 Magnum. It MIGHT chamber due to tolerance overlap. I have seen .38 Specials that would accept .38 S&W which is the same case diameter as Super.
BUT .38 Super is a high pressure round and already snug in even a maximum .357 chamber. It might well stick in the chamber when fired and its semi-rim not offer enough grip to the extractor to pull stuck empties.

So don't do it.

Hey, now you have an excuse to buy a new gun to shoot the ammo wrong for your revolver.

DISCLAIMER:

Get some proper .38 Special or .357 Magnum because that's what the gun was chambered in. (No other cartridges with ".38" or ".357" in their name can or otherwise ought to be fired from your Taurus 605.)

Other cartridges can be fired in a 38/357 revolver. They are the 38 Long Colt and 38 Short Colt. (They are not to be confused with the 38 S&W which won't (usually) fit in a 38/357 chamber.)

https://gunsmagazine.com/gear/38-long-colt/

https://www.guns.com/news/2011/08/25/the-other-38s-short-long-and-everything-in-between

I'm aware of that, but .38 Short Colt and .38 Long Colt are legacy cartridges which are only in limited production, and the subject is already more than complicated enough for a newbie shooter without getting into obsolete cartridges which aren't even used for Self-Defense anymore.

38Super will also chamber in a lot of 1st & 2nd generation foreign auto pistols chambered for several 9mm cartridges. Even if barrels are capable of taking the pressure they may not handle the recoil without breakage. Good rule of thumb is only shoot ammo gun is designed to shoot and you will have no problems. Some of the Spanish revolvers were marked, “ use the cartridges that fit best”. Not good advice in that case. Most Spanish 38sp would blow up like a hand grenade with a 38Super.

For informational purposes only:

None of the above-mentioned revolvers in my post that will chamber the Super, will chamber a .38 S&W round. Not even close.

38 smith and wesson uses a larger bullet than 38 special. The 38 super pretty much uses the same size bullets as 9mm, 38 super, etc. .355 to .358 will all go down the same bore if they fit in the chamber but the bore affects pressure so it may ore may not work. The 38 smith and wesson is like .363 so you can't get very good accuracy with jacketed .357 bullets in them. If your gun is a 357 mag and the super loads fit, I don't think you'll have any serious problem other than maybe a failure to extract because of the smaller rim.

.38 Super, in a .38 Super chamber, can run as much as 4% higher pressure than .357Magnum in a .357Magnum chamber.

I would be very interested to see pressure figures for the .38 Super fired in a .357Magnum chamber. My guess is that with nearly a third of an inch of extra freebore in the .357Mag chamber, it's going to run much lower pressures than if it were fired in its native chamber.

My hunch is that the pressure reduction will be sufficient to take it well inside the limit for .357Mag.

That's just speculation/mental rambling on my part. It should not be construed to be advice.

If it physically fits in your gun, it will probably fire, so if it fits you can (mechanically) shoot it, but YOU SHOULD NOT!!!!

If your gun is a .357, its not an issue of dangerous pressure, its a matter of the fact that the chamber, forcing cone and barrel are not made for the .38 Super and are not "right" for the round.

If you bought .38 Super ammo by mistake (and the store won't take it back) there are people who will buy it, or trade for it. DON'T try it in your gun, just because you have it. It's not a good idea.

RCWarjet, chalk it up as a lesson learned. .38Spcl is a common cartridge and should be readily available even during these "strange times" of ammo hording / shortages. Buy some .38Spcl and sell the .38 Super. Did you buy the ammo at the same time as you did the revolver? If so, the salesman should have said something right then and there. I would seriously consider not going back to that shop if they have no idea what they are selling to a new gun owner.

If it physically fits in your gun, it will probably fire, so if it fits you can (mechanically) shoot it, but YOU SHOULD NOT!!!!

If your gun is a .357, its not an issue of dangerous pressure, its a matter of the fact that the chamber, forcing cone and barrel are not made for the .38 Super and are not "right" for the round.

How is the barrel not "right" for the 38 Super???

Back