Can I buy guns at a city gun buyback

You could just stand there holding a sign:

I'll pay you more for your rifles or shotguns than the buy back will. Call 555-1212
Now you're thinking!
And when the coppers show up and start running serial #'s all the stolen ones will leave with them leaving you holding the perverbial dirty end of the stick!

And when the coppers show up and start running serial #'s all the stolen ones will leave with them leaving you holding the perverbial dirty end of the stick!

There is no requirement when buying long guns to verify their source. It's all back to that "reasonable person" sort of thing. If you have no reasonable reason to doubt the source then you may buy the gun. Requiring valid ID from anyone from whom you make a purchase would go a long way to protecting you.

Here in Chicago where gun buybacks are anonymous, a joke, and worth a $50 pre-paid Mastercard, they melt those suckers down.

Amusingly enough, an artist made the front page here for requisitioning the paper weights and making some sort of sculpture out of it. A single tear streamed down my face.

FWIW, I am fairly positive most of the turn-ins here are dirty and personally I don't think I'd take the chance. The post about the M1s hurt to read. Why the hell would you DO THAT?!?!?

I would love to hear the results of a competitive buy-back. Maybe a gun club could make a better offer on the same day and compete with the police.

My biggest concern would be the stolen firearms. I think the first stolen firearm you purchased would open a can of worms and you would not be buying anymore. When I ran an auto repair business (Cars, not guns) I would get more offers to trade the work for this gun or that gun. I picked up quite a few nice guns doing that. I also had the police chief check the guns to see if they had been stolen. Quite a few were. The town had a policy that they would go after the guy who sold, or traded me, the gun that turned out to be stolen. The police chief told them they would have to pay me for the work I had done, or they would be charged for that also. (Theft of services or something like that.) It was a pretty nice arrangement and he, the chief, would get to purchase what I did not want or need.

Wait until you see the gun you like approach the person and tell him to meet you at a gun shop for the transfer. then you are both in a safe invironment if the gun is not hot.

Will the police hassle you? Definitely.

+1

Not only that. Wait until the invited local media discovers you. The police claim that guns are being gotten off the street is suddenly null. You'll be traffic and parking ticket bait for life :D

But it would be really cool to do. Even if the guns are not all mint 1911 Government's, there might still be plenty of OK guns for the collection.

Back