Can I buy guns at a city gun buyback

wftree

OK this may be stupid but

Can I stand outside a gun buy back location and buy guns???

I am sure this would be illegal for handguns but what about rifles and shotguns????

I don't see why it would be illegal, assuming all other aspects of the transaction are legal, such as you're not in a city that requires long guns to be registered or whatever.

I would assume that the buy back authorities would not be impressed with the idea, however.

I don't know any facts of that,but from my take on it,they buy them solely to destroy them,so my educated guess would tell me no.

I would assume that the buy back authorities would not be impressed with the idea, however.

A safe assumption, I think... I'd check my local loitering laws first. :D

And from what I've heard about the kinds of guns that get turned at these events -- why would you want to do this??

they buy them solely to destroy them,so my educated guess would tell me no.

Point being that they haven't bought them yet. You can buy a gun on the other side of the city on the same day, so why can't you buy a gun on the sidewalk out front on the same day?

And from what I've heard about the kinds of guns that get turned at these events -- why would you want to do this??

Yes, I've heard reports that most of the guns that are turned in are junk that is ready for the scrap heap. I imagine there probably are some exceptions, so I suppose you could get a good deal if you were really knowledgeable. Maybe you could end up lucky like the antique collector who stumbles on a tiffany lamp at a yard sale.

I would agree as well. Of course, what's wrong with a little healthy competition as long as it's legal?

One of the features of these events is that they're "no-questions-asked" re: the source of the guns being turned in. But of course all the people who come to turn in guns will have paperwork for them, so you can be sure you're not buying a stolen one. :rolleyes:

I have heard thirdhand(but cannot confirm) that at some of these buybacks, LEO's cherrypick from the turn-ins for their personal use.

sorry,I didnt read your question thorough enough,I thought you meant buying from the cops.Well,yeah you could buy in front of there,but I wouldn't reccommend it because youd have to buy the case too without even taking the gun out to inspect it,or the cops would probably arrest you for branishing a firearm or something

ninjatoth said:
I wouldn't reccommend it because youd have to buy the case too without even taking the gun out to inspect it,or the cops would probably arrest you for branishing a firearm or something

A good point. And if you went somewhere more discreet, why, there you are in a nice private place... you've got the money... and you already know he's got one gun... :eek:

I think I'll pass.

It just drives me crazy to see any good gun go to waste.

I am not sure I would have ever tried but wonder what people thought and especially if anyone ever tried it!

That would be pretty cool. Maybe the GOA could arrange something and donate the guns bought to some kind of charity. I love civil disobedience. Sorta like the RKBA Equivalent of sitting at the lunch counter.

On a side note I've always wanted to see somebody giving ballpark appraisals at one of those buybacks. Yeah, most are junk, but there have to be some people there who have something of decent quality and don't know that they're getting ripped off with their own tax dollars.

As for the potential loitering charges I suppose you could put the "call 555-xxxx for a fair market value sale of your firearms" on your car and park it right next to the buyback; Then you wouldn't be loitering.

Back