Can anyone ID this rifle?

"Legend" has it that an unground mum was supposedly a battlefield pickup, while the ground mum was a weapon that was confiscated from the government.

As was pointed out, the only ones who can say for sure are dying off rapidly.

I have no idea where the removal of the imperial crest (actually the family "mon" of the emperor) came from, but I suspect it was of Japanese origin, part of the process of "saving face".
According to an older Japanese gentleman I know it was considered an emblem of surrender, much like the Gauls Vercingetorix handing the shield to Caesar after the Battle of Alesia. By defacing it (removing the Mum), they were only surrendering the physical object, not it's "power".
By removing it they had surrendered with "ON", that mysterious system of "tit for tat (plus a bonus)", that pervades so much of Japanese culture & history.

ammoseek is currently showing PRVI, precision cartridge, Grafs and Hornady Available in various places around the interwebs. as far as I know PC is reman ammo, hornady uses PRVI brass and grafs is just store brand ammo made by hornady for Graf and sons. the hornady stuff is good, my 6.5 japanese will hit a 12 inch gong at 550 yards with it, the 7.7 needs sight adjustment but I think could do similar after that. $1.50 a round is not outrageously expensive considering it's all either spire point, Amax, or SST ammo. a buck fifty per round for competition and hunting ammo, is pretty standard regardless of caliber.

Mum Grinding?

I have a 35th series taken from the arsenal at Hiroshima after the bomb was dropped. According to the serial number it was made in the last week before the bomb and it has the intact mum and to this day looks brand new. A lot of fabrication in all these stories. riceone

a 35th series taken from the arsenal at Hiroshima after the bomb was dropped.

Ever have it checked for radioactivity??
or proof anyone ever has?
this is a serious question.

Not serious as in "you are at risk" but serious as in it was there when the bomb went off, there might be detectable (not dangerous) radioactivity.

I think it would be an interesting science project, if there was anything detectable above normal background after 70 years.

Just a thought...

The hole is a gas escape port, designed to release gas in case of a burst case head. It is not over the chamber or into the chamber; it is into the bolt lug recess behind the chamber. (FWIW, one way to easily tell the Type 38 6.5mm rifle and the Type 99 7.7mm rifle is that the former has two ports, the latter only one.)

Jim

James K said:
The hole is a gas escape port, designed to release gas in case of a burst case head. It is not over the chamber or into the chamber; it is into the bolt lug recess behind the chamber. (FWIW, one way to easily tell the Type 38 6.5mm rifle and the Type 99 7.7mm rifle is that the former has two ports, the latter only one.)

Yup. Here is a Type 38 with Mum.

mum2_s.jpg

Back