Can anyone help me identify this K98?

5.56RifleGuy

There are only a few markings on it. on the side of the chamber it is marked "K98". Under the sight there is a small triangle. That is about it. I beleive it is 8mm but I am not completely sure. The bolt handle is turned down and has a half sphere end on it. Here are some photos. Thanks

Attachments

• P1000564.jpg
    P1000564.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 180
  • full.jpg
    full.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 169
  • P1000572.jpg
    P1000572.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
there isnt any marks on top of the receiver ring?
No importation marks on the end of the barrel?
k98 is the german designation for the karabiner 98 mauser WW2 rifle.It looks like one,but there should be other markings somewhere,unless it has been altered.

There is what looks like a 791 on the top. On the side there is a stamped 9648c. I now see on the bolt it has a 9648 also. There is no electro pen on it anywhere.

Oh and I see after very very careful examination there is a light mark in the stock. It looks like a raddish with what might be a mp8 or something.

After cleaning more of the goopenthal (cosmolen) off, it seems that all the metal parts are stamped with that 9648 or at least the 48 part. I would assume it is matching then?

What you have is Mauser K98a small-ring rifle. They were made between the wars to comply with the Versailles treaty that only allowed a certain number of military rifles to be produced. They were provided to militia and paramilitary units (including cavalry units, which after WW1 were mostly honor guards). The hooked post under the bayonet mount is a stacking hook.

If it was provided to the Spanish during the Spanish Civil War, it would be in very rough condition.

"Thank you for all your help and info. "
Your welcome,and I'm jealous,I love getting a surplus rifle,taking it apart and cleaning off the cosmoline,and bringing it back into service.

Your rifle appears to be a very nice Polish (NOT German) Kar98az which is almost identical to the WW1 German Kar98a aside from the sling swivels and stacking hook.The lack of markings and the MP8 stamp mean that the crest on top of the reciever was scrubbed and this rifle was sent to Spain to be used during the Spanish Civil War.Many of these rifles were refurbished after the war in Spain so that would explain the excellent condition.

Very odd. It looks like a Kar.98 (aka Kar. 98AZ or Kar. 98a), but that receiver rail marking is very odd. The Kar.98AZ was marked "Kar. 98" and the Kar. 98b was marked "Karab. 98b." The K.98k was marked "Mod. 98".

Just FWIW, the Kar. 98AZ (Kar. 98a) was not made after WWI; it was adopted in 1908 as a shorter and lighter rifle than the Gewehr 98 and was apparently planned to ultimately replace the long rifle. After WWI, hundreds of thousands went to countries like Poland and many went to Turkey, where the German receiver markings were removed and it came to be known as "the small ring Turkish 98 Mauser", often believed to have been made in Turkey.

Jim

Back