Can a Stevens Model 311 shoot slugs in both barrels?

UPDATE: The Higgins extractor is not functioning properly. It fails consistently after trying to pump out each spent shell. I knew there was another reason for it and now I remember. So yes it has a lot of issues with it. I'm not a gun smith and don't pretend to be. That said I think the 2 shots of .410 3" slugs are better than the #8 shot I have for the 12 gauge atm.

That said I think the 2 shots of .410 3" slugs are better than the #8 shot I have for the 12 gauge atm.
You seem intent on those slugs, but how about 10 9MM (.355) projectiles at over 1100fps with two quick pulls of the trigger
That would be what you get with 3" 410 000 Buckshot.

Tom, get yourself some decent shot for that 12 ga. A load of #4 buckshot at close range from a 12 ga will beat ANYTHING you could shoot out of that .410.

Doyle I appreciate the comment but as I said the ejector on the 12 gauge is broken which I am not too happy about at the moment.:(

Big Tom,
That sucks about the ejector. Shouldn't cost an arm and a leg to fix, but yes if that is broken then I too would use the 311 until I had something better.

Cheapshooter is right about 3 Inch buck shot though. You'll get 5 9mm projectiles in each shell, and that should do more target damage with less collateral damage.

sawed off

While we're at it, I can't second any recommendation to saw off the barrel on any shotgun, then intend to use it in a HD/SD role.

I can see that coming around to 'cause real problems once the legal fallout from one's shooting begins.

"Mr. Smith used a "sawed off" shotgun on my client.....etc, etc"

The last two posts puzzle me. If it's a good shoot, any legal gun would cause you no legal troubles. There is nothing illegal about shortening barrels-if done within legal guidelines.

As far as being illegal- "sawed-off" shot guns are perfectly legal as long as federal regulations are followed and appropriate taxes paid.

As far as "not needed"- that's a ridiculous, closed-minded statement. Short guns have uses in specific situations- but it's not about need. Why do you "need" a car that will exceed the speed limit? Why do you need a gun at all? The police will protect you, right?

:rolleyes: Bill come on now what you are saying is ridiculous. A sawed off shotgun is not needed because you can get a new short barrel installed on a good number of shotguns or you can buy a shotgun with a short barrel. "legal limit" is 18 or 18.5 inches so why not just spend $100 for a new barrel or whatever.

And if I need something smaller than why not a high powered handgun? If we are talking shotguns then blast and recoil are pretty much at a maximum. Whats wrong with a full size 10mm at that point or a .357, or any number of other great options if you're worried about someone grabbing the barrel?

And where is this talk about needing a gun coming from? A firearm is an insurance policy for IF the need should arise that you can use it. You're right you don't need a car either, you have a bike, legs, public transportation, trains, subways, taxis, whatever. I'd say in some ways a firearm is more essential than a vehicle but that's me.

Anyways you dont know the layout of my living quarters I have a long narrow hallway that connects the bedrooms to the living room. A good 15 yards or more. If they managed to get that close to me I would't be reaching for my shotgun I'd be reaching for my S&W 627 which is loaded with 8 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 158 grain .357 JHP's.

i would never use a sawed off shotgun as they are both illegal and not needed
I wouldn't cut the barrels because 311s in .410 are few and far between....besides you might wanna rabbit or squirrel hunt someday.
Only one former post mentioned "cutting down" tye barrel, and that was about the JC Higgins pump gun because there is no collector value to be concerned with. That post also clearly stated the legal length the barrel could be "cur down", or in other worde sawed off. Not intending for the OP to create a "sawed off" shotgun, but rather an 18", or 18 1/2" barreled shotgun similar to many commonly available in most gun shops, and even big box sporting goods stores.
But I fully agree that he should not touch that Stevens 311 with modifications of any kind.

Back