Can a small caliber be as powerful as a big one?

Wouldn’t the narrower, longer bullet have more surface area in contact with the bore?

aargh..10grade geometry AGAIN :rolleyes:

No, I'm not doing it for you! :D

look up how to calculate the surface area of a cylinder.

you'll need to know the length and the diameter but after that its just math..

good luck! :D

Hello. If two barrels of the same length where loaded with the same amount of powder and with projectiles of the same weight, but of different calibers, will then the stopping power of the guns be equivalent?

Ok the actual problem is that we have a handgun round (5" barrel) and a 22 caliber bullet and a 40 caliber bullet, both 100 grs. and both cases loaded with 25 grains of an unnamed smokeless powder.

So we don't know how fast these theoretical bullets are going. Without that piece of information most calculations are, well sorta fantasy land.

A 100 gr. 22 caliber handgun bullet comes from what round? Not a 22 magnum or 22 lr. What 100 gr. 22 caliber bullet comes from a 5" barrel?

I'm no expert but what charge of 25 gr.s of powder gets a 40 caliber bullet going at what velocity from a 5" barrel? It will not be hitting the same velocity as the 22 backed by 25 grs. 25 grains of powder in a rimfire round?

What cases are we speaking of? Is the 22 coming from a necked down bottlenecked case? or a straight walled?

The question is so general, and unspecific (or too specific) I don't think any sort of useful reply can be made.

tipoc

if we assume the density of the two projectiles can be different, it gets interesting. If we must use lead, not so much interesting.

If we take a .22 bullet and hammer it flat to make a .45 "slug" its gonna be like trying to shoot a foil disk and will just crumple and go "pffft"

if we take a .45 slug and make a .22 bullet out of it, it's gonna be a little arrow of lead and good luck getting that launched. Its too noodle like to fly or handle the torque of the rifling.. it will curly-cue or fall apart in the air.

But.. if we can adjust our density... interesting stuff!

Given the same powder charge in both barrels....the larger caliber will have less velocity because the powder has more volume of barrel to fill. Therefore generating less pressure. Lower velocity plus wider frontal surface area equals far less penetration. Depending on the target, this could be what changes the equation. Shallow penetration may not stop the target at all. Something to think about.

All rounds regardless of caliber size, density are lethal. Many will state that a larger caliber makes a larger whole and will bleed faster. The statement is true, provided that you are accurate with a large caliber firearm. I have seen many instances where novice shooters are shooting basically portable canons and enjoyed themselves shooting it and other did not but a majority of them never hit their target. So what good is having a large caliber gun if you can not shoot it reliably. Just read an article where a boy was just recently killed with a BB gun, I wonder how much that BB will penetrate in a Gel Test. I think we we many times focus on to many issues that are not relevant when it comes to "stopping power" or which caliber is most powerful. Does not matter if you are thoroughly trained and maintain you shooting skill levels as it is a skill that diminishes quickly. Your brain is the most deadliest weapon you have....or the weakest link in your arsenal.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-boy-10-dies-after-being-shot-with-bb-gun

The same velocity will not be achieved.
Bore expansion ratio is important for building pressure, and will result in the smaller caliber projectile - even though of the same weight - leaving the muzzle faster than the larger caliber projectile.

Increasing speed does increase lethality if you have enough of an increase, but in handguns "enough" is not always available.

A 125 to 130 grain 9MM can be shot at about 1200 (give or take,) from a pistol barrel Thinking that going 1250 or 1270 is going to make any real world difference is not realistic.

Now if you were to slim it down to about 7MM and fire it at 3150 FPS you'd really see some difference, but that is called a 270 Winchester ----fired from a 24 inch rifle barrel.

So can a "smaller" caliber you can see huge differences in the lethal effects of a give weight of bullet, but the increase is usually measured in many hundreds of FPS and sometime thousands of FPS.

Stopping power- The nebulous term everyone loves to hate.

Sure it can be quantified, but first you have to define it.

I tend to look at in terms of How long does it take the BG to stop attacking be it from psychological or physical.

There are certain things that historically work pretty fast. The 12 gauge slug come to mind.

Back