Can .38 Sp. Be Loaded To .357 Specifications?

Skeeter Skelton used to load 38's up there ( how heavy I don't recall ) with cast bullets. But he loaded them to 357 overall length to keep pressures somewhat comparable. I guess that also made them distinctive in the lead bullet days when you saw a shell with a lube groove outside the case. But that was when there were lots of 38 cases and you had to make empty 357 cases by shooting factory ammo.

That was then and this is now, and bulk 357 cases are available by mail cheap. It's taking chances now that is real expensive.

The Lyman 358156 bullet mold was designed by Ray Thompson back in the 50's specifically to allow .357-class loads to be assembled in .38 Special cases for use in .357 revolvers. This gas-checked, semi-wadcutter design normally finishes at about 155 grains in hard alloy once you put the gas check on, features a single lube groove, and TWO crimping grooves.

The first or front front crimping groove is to be used when loading .357 loads in .357 brass or .38 loads in .38 cases. The second crimp groove is used when assembling .357-class loads in .38 Special cases. This has the effect of increasing case volume (which reduces pressure with a given powder charge) and lengthening the loaded round, which will prevent use in most .38 special revolvers. (Note the weasel-word "most" in the preceeding sentence. You don't want to put one of these in a .38 special, even if it fits.)

So the answer to your question is a qualified "YES."

No matter what you choose to do, always remember to start below the listed maximums and work up carefully, watching for signs of excess pressure at each step of the way.

It is already done. The ammo is called +P+ and it is sold for law enforcement use only. It is to be used only in revolvers made for the .357 Magnum.

.38 Special +P+ is a politically correct round used so the police can say they don't use that awful .357, only the standard .38 Special.

Jim

I like the Lee dies; and I have used several more expensive brands over the last 40 years.

"+P+, to be used only in revolvers chambered for .357 Magnum."

Where do you come by that information, Jim?

Certainly not the case as told to me by representatives of Winchester and Federal some years ago.

Many, many police agencies have issued .38 +P+ for use in their .38 Spl. duty guns, and some continue to do so.

38 loaded .357

Some of the competitors at our Pin Shoots in South africa are doing it to try and get better velocities with a 180gr semi wad cutter head. We have tried and results are not to exciting and our club sticks to 357. Cases do fail often and maximum reloading of the case to about 3 times and then discard (if it lasts that long). Recommend only fire in a 357 and definately not a 38

Let's look at a bit of handgun history. Back in the early 1930's, Phil Sharpe, along with Elmer Keith and others helped develop a .38 Spl. load called the 38/44. This round shot a 158 gr. bullet at around 1150 FPS, if memory serves. It was to be used only in S&W heavy duty 38/44 revolvers built on the "N" frame. I had one of the 38/44 "Outdoorsman" revolvers and loaded it up with Hercules #2400 powder with the 158 gr. Semi-wadcutter Keith style bullet. It was a real killer, and I used it on a Black Bear with no problem. The round was discontinued, because it could be used in regual frmed .38's and in revolvers chambered for the .38 Colt round. (BTW. those old .38 Colt's will also chamber a .357 Mag. round with disasterous results.)So the round was lengthened about 1/10 inch and called the .357 magnum. The 38/44 revolvers were made until at least 1959 (according to an old Stoeger's catalog I have, and were fine guns.) I sold the one I had years ago, but have since aquirred another that is definitely not for sale.
Although the 686 S&W is made to handle .357 Mag. ammo, current factory ammo is greatly reduced from the original 1935 specs. (1200 to 1300 FPS vs 1550 FPS) I still load my .357 ammo to duplicate the 1935 loads, but I do not recommend them in a 686. I use "N" frame guns for those loads, and those sparingly.
If you want to try .357 class loads in .38 Spl. brass, find an early Lyman reloading manual that has .38 Spl. High Velocity load data. be aware though, that when they mention #2400 powder, they are using the Hercules version, and not Alliant. With Alliant #2400, I have had to reduce .44 mag. loads by 2.0 gr. and .357 Mag. loads by 1.5 to 2.0 gr. Just a word to the wise.
Paul B.

a few years ago I had a stainless 38spl only Ruger security-six, So I thought I would reload some shells to the 38+p level. I got to the range, ran my target out to 10yrds and fired six rounds. The gun threw out a hell of a flame and kick harded then what I thought it should have. When I went to extract the cases, I had to punch then out with a wooden dowel. After I returned home, I pulled a couple of cartidges apart and rewieghted the powder and found that I charged the cases with 7.5 grains of powder instead of 5.7
Only by the grace of God I wasn't hurt, and niether was my Ruger.
Moral of the story is check and recheck the powder charge againist what the manual calls for.

Back