Camo Painting firearms, should the color black be used?

Should you use the color black in your camo paint job?

• Yes you should use it

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • You can use it if you want to

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • You should not use it

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Vegetation isn't black.
Dangerous animals, from bears to skunks to snakes, often are.
Even a flock of crows is called a murder.
Consider black a danger signal.
It's eye-catching.

The main purpose of cammo rifles is to increase the chance you put it down--lose it, then have to buy another one

This is the main reason I will not have a camo wallet!! IF it comes out of my pocket, I REALLY want to be able to find it, not have it disappear in the ground cover!

Consider black a danger signal.
It's eye-catching.

Only if it moves. Othewise, tis just a shadow....;)

Personal call on service

The original post is;
Camo Painting firearms, should the color black be used?

No harm either way and really a matter of personal choice and depends on the service. I would not use black on one of my duck-guns but that's just me.... :confused:

Shadow9mm
Never seen a live skunk. Seen dead ones on the side of the riad before though
That's one point, on the learning curve, that you might want to pass on. .... :eek:

Be Safe !!!

Black certainly exists, in nature. Basically, it's the absents of light and I agree with your logic of;

Be Safe !!!
Yeah, I pondered the "black doesn't exist in nature" while in the woods hunting and thinking up good camo. Gray and brown is best.

Some things in the woods look black as heck though so it does exist to the eye and some old stumps and dead falls look black.... in bow season I see guys all camoed up at a short distance and they look solid. Big swathes of color rather than small squares, etc. are better.

Some camos glow like a neon sign if under a black light...deer are supposed to be able to detect UV light....I got an old orange vest that is brown under a UV light, which actually makes it better than the designer camos...humans see it as orange though.

Urban camo should obviously be different than woods camo

Another thing too. In the old days we had shiney rifles and gloss scopes, the Remington 700 BDL comes to mind. There weren't any matte scopes....I would like to have a dime for every time I was busted in the woods and never knew it because of shiney rifle/cope combo.

Check your camo duds under a UV light and you will find it might glow bright in some places. Ask me how I know this. Out before dawn in bow season all camoed up and totally motionless have deer look at me as if saying "what the heck is that?"...and me saying how the heck could they detect me with my camo on in the dark even?

Chuckled a bit imagining you and deer just having a stare-off for solid 5+ minutes :D
Camo to fool deer and other wildlife probably should be different than for the human eye.

Yes, I have watched deer for a lot longer than 5 minutes, and it can often get like a stare down contest. If not alarmed and unaware deer really take their time, though movement will really get their attention. If not alarmed, they can be quite curious too. I have, on more than one occasion, had them walk right up to within a few feet to check out something not quite familiar. Of course if they get a whiff it's all over. But during rifle season and the invasion of the "orange army" in PA all bets are off!

Hunting camo vs "tactical" camo? Urban vs woods, desert, summer, fall, winter all about common sense and adapting to the venue.

Back