Calling in Squirrels . . .?

I have had two dogs that would climb trees after birds and squirrels. Some dogs do climb.
Aside from that I seem to broadcast "no threat" when I am hunting or just walking through the woods. All I have to do is sit down and all kinds of animals walk up to find out what I am doing. The ground squirrels at my cabin have learned to be more cautious because they make good target practice with my 357. I'm not kidding though, I have had deer, coyotes, squirrels, field mice, birds of many kinds including a Cooper's hawk, black bear and even a cougar once come out of hiding to greet me while I sit and drink water or eat a snack. If I am moving they stay hidden but as soon as I sit down they decide I am no threat.

If you feed the animals unsalted peanuts they will always come back. I had a murder of crows that I could call to food with a simple "Caw, caw, Caw!". The back yard would fill up with crows who couldn't wait to eat the peanuts or fat trimmings from what ever I was preparing to store. I like crows, they are smart and like to be challenged. I put a short and long piece of wire and a small mouth jar on the table that has meat and fat scraps in it and the crows would bend the long wire to pull out the food. They also teach each other how to do complex things to get food.

I have one of those 'whistles' mentioned in OP. Literature said Id be stampeded by squirrels. Never happened.

One method suggested 20 yrs ago was go to the woods and make a noise like a nut and get ready. That never worked either.

I loved shooting those big red fox squirrel in NW Ohio, right in close to town. Recall one occasion I sat on a hillside early one AM. Soon I realized there was a hunter standing some yards behind me. Son they moved off. Few minutes big one popped out about 20 yds ahead and was great eating.

Up here this year acorns are very scarce.

"Back in the day", if I can interject my senior privilege, we used to us the then common 50¢ coins. Holding them tight between the thumb and first finger, and rapidly scraping the serrated edges together like strumming a guitar. It emitted a very authentic bark that was quite often answered. Not really calling in a bushy tail, but identifying it's location.

Back