Calling in Squirrels . . .?

Prof Young

Over the years I've tried a couple different squirrel callers. A whistle thing that one holds in one's mouth, a bulb squeaker thing and even tried rubbing two quarters together. Latest effort was via an iHUNT system by Ruger. And the results are always the same. No squirrels.

So, is it possible to call in squirrels or is it a myth? If it's not a myth then I need advice on how to do it so it works.

Thanks.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Just out out some stuff you don't want them to eat - like bird seed in a feeder- and they'll come in droves..............at least at my house.... ;)

I've found you can call them with commercially made callers but the don't come running, they sit up in the trees and squawk back.

Fast learners

First time in, they will respond in a variety of ways to just about any new sound. They learn fast and after the first time, they will know what you are and ya kind of have to start over. It also depends on how hard they are feeding as it makes them hard to get a bead on. When I first go in, I clap my hands about five times, wait and look and listen. Then I repeat it one more time and "stop". You really won't call them in but can get them to move or look. I've never seen a call that will bring them to my feet. I usually look for a nut tree and sit under another tree about 50 ft. away. I can get them worked up with a number of "noises" but not for long. Have you tried the old quarter on quarter trick? ...... See what YouTube has to say ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

My grandfather would fill a pocket with pebbles. We'd sneak into an area looking for signs that squirrels have been feeding and find a comfortable place to sit. Wait 5 or 10 minutes and he'd flick pebbles into the dry leaves. That mimics the sound of a squirrel feeding and dropping bits of pecans or acorns. To a squirrel, that sound is pretty much an all-clear signal that they can get back to feeding. We'd kill a couple and then relocate.

Papa loved fried squirrel heads. He'd crack them and eat the brains. Grandma and I would try to not look.

I've tried to pass on all the squirrel hunting techniques to my grandson. All those great memories.

I've hunted squirrels my whole life and I've never seen someone actually "call in" a squirrel. I do use a bark sound which I can easily make with my lips and the back of my hand. That will sometimes make them pop-up and bark back helping me to locate them.

It's possible 603countrys gramps was doing it right we make a call with are hands and are mouth buy sucking it to your between your thumm and pointer finger hard to explain hole it's done works better then most calls a rabbit in distress call or even a crow call will get there interest and stick there head out the best is to find a group of hickory trees or atleast some oak with eggcorns

ive seen someone call in one with the distress call and slapping a branch around (mimicking a young squirrel being attacked by a hawk). When i say call in the squirrel came running in thru the treetops and pulled up short about 30 foot away.

I dont think squirrel calls are meant to call them "in" per se........more like to get them to give away their position or to put them at ease so they come out of hiding and resume feeding

Squirrels are smart and can do some dumb things

My grandfather would fill a pocket with pebbles.
I forgot about that one and it works but don't over-play it as they will see you. I used a large rubber band and kept it close to me to minimize my movement. Just takes a little longer for them to bust you. ....... ;)

Hate to list this but another one I have tried and it works, is to tie a harvested tail to the side of a tree and bun a filament line to another tree and start flicking it. Doesn't take long before they start barking at this new intruder. They are very territorial. .... :mad:

Papa loved fried squirrel heads. He'd crack them and eat the brains. Grandma and I would try to not look

As kids, we hunted an area owned by an old-timer. His name was Enslem Windfield. One day he asked us if we kept the heads. We looked puzzled and said, No ???? He asked if we would save them for him and of course we did. He made soup out of them and invited us for lunch, after a hunt. We thanks him and politely declined. .. :eek:

Be Safe !!!

Problem with squirrel calls is they don't work on squirrels you spooked walking in. You have to sit down and give them time to forget you are there. No different than without a call. Moving while calling(like throwing stones, pumping a bellows call or reaching into your pocket to rub the quarters) just makes them sit tighter. My best luck with any squirrel call was sittin' still and letting the woods quiet down until the squirrels came out again on their own. Then the call may make them stop/pop their head up so you get a better shot.

When he was 3 or 4 years old, my oldest son would go out and yell "SQUIRREL, HEY SQUIRREL!". Needless to say, it didn't work, but it sure was entertaining.

I've not heard of calling in squirrels. Im a restless, somewhat impatient person so I always liked squirrel hunting because I didn't have to sit and wait. I just walk the woods slow and steady looking for the movement in the trees.

I've been able to make them "stay" and investigate by making that angry squirrel chuckling sound, but never called them in.
I think that's what bird feeders are for....

There was a guy on another forum years ago who claimed his cat (Maine Coon IIRC) was trained to help squirrel hunting. The cat has better eyes & ears, so it would find the squirrels for him, go to the base of the tree they were in, and meow for master. When he shot the squirrel, he'd feed the liver to it immediately as a reward.

Squirrels hate cats

There was a guy on another forum years ago who claimed his cat (Maine Coon IIRC) was trained to help squirrel hunting. The cat has better eyes & ears, so it would find the squirrels for him, go to the base of the tree they were in, and meow for master. When he shot the squirrel, he'd feed the liver to it immediately as a reward.

Possum
Good reply as I know that squirrels hate cats. A buddy of mine used one of those flip can calls of a cat and he not only got them to freeze but start barking. It's one of those hand held cans that you turn over and it makes a cat sound. I don't know if you can still find them ..... :)

I think that it is more important on how you hunt them, than calling them in. Basically I sit up against a tree, close to a nut tree, before sun up. Then as the morning progresses I start stalking and sittng. I'm usually out of the woods by noon or until I get at least three squirrels. I prefer the Greys but won' pass on the Fox. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

I think calling squirrels is one of the most unprofitable things one can do in the woods. Baiting is a much better idea. I can recall calling in only one (1) squirrel in my lifetime. Using a barking "bellows type" call I was able to work him like a turkey. Got him to come within feet of me. Never, ever managed to repeat that anomaly.

I've found that most squirrels either: don't have phones, or they choose not to answer. :D
I figure baiting them would be easy, but I've never hunted them, so I don't know. I just wanted to insert a juvenile joke into the thread.

They Don't like dogs either

Some of the best entertainment at my old place (cabin in the woods) was watching my kids lab and the abundance of Gray squirrels.
The squirrels quickly figured out that dogs can't climb trees, they would climb just beyond the reach of the dog, and cuss him out. Or I assume they were swearing at him, I don't speak squirrel.
It was really hilarious to watch. At times one of the dumber squirrels would not realize that while dogs can't climb trees, dogs can jump.
Many squirrels met their demise by getting a little too close during one of their cussing out sessions.

I kept a 50 lb. sack of kibble in my metal garden shed and my dog food budget was way too high. The little buggers had figured out how to open the sliding door of the shed and were loading up on kibble for the winter.
I had to put a lock on the door, or go broke buying kibble.

I loved that old Lab, what an awesome dog.

Back