calling coyotes

Ok, I'm convinced. I'll get a mouth call. Do you experienced mouth call guys have a working favorite? There are so many out there and I don't want to buy one of each.

I have a good assortment of mouth blown calls, some are custom made from exotic wood, some I made from deer antler, some are mass produced made of plastic or rubber.

The ones I use the most and always have with me when calling are my "Little Buddie" calls.
These things look like ink pin tops with reeds in them, they sure have worked well for me.

They are easy to use and carry, they clip in my shirt pocket like an ink pen.
There's two calls in a package, the red one sounds like a cottontail, the blue one is raspier like a jack rabbit.
They are not expensive, I believe if you try them you will like them.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Coyotes are very smart and difficult to call in. Wind is your biggest factor. If theyre yipping and calling they either know the call you are using or theyve scented you out.

Dont get discouraged. It took me around 20 stands before i got one to come in. Coyotes know their area well. Keep experimenting with different calls and eventually you will find something that peaks their interest.
I use E calls almost exclusively. I find the issue I have with reed calls is getting the volume just right. If youre too loud you will spook them.

Keep the wind in front of you.

I tried my 5th coyote hunting Sat night, full moon, everything should have been perfect. I set up right at dusk, but to get to my spot I had a huge fallen tree in the road to my spot. I had to pull out the chainsaw and cut the tree, then use all of my might to pick it up and push it out of the road. This was about 500 yards away, but I was so full of sweat that I think all of the coyotes smelled me when I hiked in to my spot. I heard some howling down wind from me. I guess they are smarter than you think. I am trying to learn my self. I will get one soon.

Keep experimenting with different calls and eventually you will find something that peaks their interest.
True, but I have to conciously and continuously keep my self in check so as to not call and change calls too frequently.

It may sound odd, but after a dry spell and not wanting to dish out more $$ for yet more calls I whipped out a turkey call and used it as I normally would for turkey and actually brought in two adults and a youngster in one evening. I was set up between CRP and a cut wheat field. Never hunted turkey in an area like that, but it did bring in the song dogs.

True, but I have to conciously and continuously keep my self in check so as to not call and change calls too frequently.

It may sound odd, but after a dry spell and not wanting to dish out more $$ for yet more calls I whipped out a turkey call and used it as I normally would for turkey and actually brought in two adults and a youngster in one evening. I was set up between CRP and a cut wheat field. Never hunted turkey in an area like that, but it did bring in the song dogs.

I've had several turkey hunters tell me they called in coyotes while tyring to call in turkeys.
Sometimes I think just using something a little different will stroke their curiosity enough to get them to come in.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter

I have no doubt that coyotes visualize turkeys as just more yummy-tasty, and would quite happily go see if there is a chance for supper...

I know domestic turkeys often times end up as a crime scene. My next try was actually gonna be a turkey call of some type. When hunting semi small areas they get used to the same calls pretty quick.

I had called a coyote accidently with a pig squeal once. I didn't think the pig squeal was gonna work on pigs and calling a coyote wasn't on my mind. I was not prepared for the coyote that time

Back