Calling all Louisiana TFL'ers...

Preacherman

I'd like to hear from any and all TFL'ers in Louisiana and adjacent areas (east Texas, southern Arkansas, Mississippi and perhaps Alabama). This is concerning an idea that Carlyle (SouthLa1) and I have been kicking around.

1. We'd like to look at the possibility of a Louisiana TFL Shoot after hunting season closes.

2. If there are enough of us in Louisiana, I dare to hope that we could host a TFL Mardi Gras shoot in or near New Orleans next year, and invite all our shootin' cousins (especially the Tennessee crowd - could New Orleans survive Tamara, Oleg, Runt et. al. in a group??? Watch the newspaper headlines next Mardi Gras for details!)

How about it, guys and girls? Please post responses here, and I'll collect your e-mail addresses from your profiles for updates, as well as perhaps posting them in a future thread.

Up here in the Piney Woods, we still have a few gun owners and shooters.

I'm in Natchitoches.

We have a nice range here that we could use, should you want to.

I don't go to Mardi Gras. Large crowds of very drunk people are dangerous by definition.

Count me in!

I don't live in one of the above mentioned "adjacent areas," but I spend about 2 weeks of every month working in the N.O. area. Give me a heads-up regarding the time/place of this shindig, and I'll plan accordingly...would like to be able to match some faces up with these TFL names!

Regards,
freedomlover

Hay, what are we gonna shoot? Rifles, handguns, milsurps, scatterguns, punkin chunkin guns, all of the above? Oh well, it's ALL fun!

We'll keep an eye out.

Perhaps we could get one of the admin types to move this thread to RANGE REPORTS .

I'm just across the river and would love to get together with you guys. Hot boudain and hot barrels sounds good to me. :D

I am back home for a few days due to a death in the family. Count me in IF I am home at the time. I am going to check on ranges in the Lafayette Area. Mardi Gras could be a problem in the New Orleans area............booked up rooms, crowded roads (even in the outlying areas) etc. Even in the Lafayette area Mardi Gras is growing by leaps and bounds.................could run into problems there also. I am going back offshore Friday but should be in the week of Thanksgiving.................will check into a few places then.

That sounds like fun, if you are looking for a Lafayette range, Barney's is an indoor range (25 yds., rifle, pistol, rentals). If shotgun seems more everybody's style, Vermillion River Gun Club would probably be a good choice.

I don't know of any 600 yard ranges in Louisiana. I've heard that Clark and Mickulek's place in shreveport has 2-300 yard range, and also that there's a range in gonzales (or thereabouts) that does a lot of highpower and also has a 2-300 yard range. There might a 600 range that I'm not aware of, if anyone knows of such a range, that would be a great place to start.

The only long distance ranges that I'm aware of belong to the Military Department. Camp Beuregard being the most likely canidate. But, of course, they cost money.

Sherbourne Wildlife Management Area, outside of Krotz Springs, has a public 100Yd rifle range and 50Y pistol range. It's a totally open range with camping available, picnic tables etc.

There's a private range out towards Clinton, but it's primarily for pistol. It would cost money, but ensure privacy.

I believe there is another WMA range somewhere around Slaughter, but I'm not sure how it is set-up.

Also, there is the Acension Parish Sheriff's Office range just off of I-10 at Gonzales that has a pretty nice pistol and rifle set-up. It's very popular and open dates book very quickly and very far in advance, so I don't know how it would work.

That's about it, off the top of my head, for ranges around me.
If I think of more, I'll post them.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'll be getting together with Southla1 on this, and we'll try to get some more information posted on this Forum by early December, all being well. Watch for a new thread on the subject, and if anyone else wants to be included, please post on this thread so that we know about you.

God bless, and a happy Thanksgiving to you all. (I'm working that day... :( )

Back