Call Me An Idiot

Mosin-Marauder

I've been wanting a rifle to deer hunt (don't like hunting with my C&R rifles) and to ring steel and punch paper with. I saw something very nice today. A .300 AAC Blackout Handi-Rifle. It is EXTREMELY handy. Very short and light, and I couldn't help it, used for $257 OTD, I put it on layaway, even though I had the money, I'll get it out next weekend. It's a borderline bad deal, I know but it was like new condition, and I really liked it and knew I probably wouldn't get a chance to buy another one, as they're not made anymore. So go ahead call me an idiot for buying another gun, now I need to find a scope and flash hider for it. Suggestions are appreciated!

Regards,

-Mo.

I never thought much about NEF Handi-rifles till my Dad bought one in 223. Shot great. It's now in the hands of his great grandsons.

I'll only call you an idiot if you don't start saving up for a suppressor ASAP. That caliber was made for cans. 300 blackout is a great hunting round too(I'm planning on building a 300 upper in the near future for hunting). Do you reload? It might be worth getting into just to save on the ammo cost.

Either way, I think you'll love it.

That's not being an idiot.
Guns that are no longer in production have a history of increasing in value.
You can enjoy using it while it increases in worth.
Not too many investments can do as well as that.

It's a good thing you do reload. You'll have a lot of good options that way for a lower price and you can use some of the .223 brass you probably already have for it.

Looking at ballistics, it seems like you're going to get power somewhere in the range of a .30-30 or 7.62x39mm. So place your shots well, use good bullets, and keep it within a reasonable range for the system and it should do well for you. I'm sure you already knew that though.

And, as mentioned, you should start saving up to buy a suppressor when you turn 21 :D Or maybe machine one yourself when you turn 18. Only makes sense if you have a .300 Blackout

They can be found new for a little less than that but I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. I bought mine early on and I paid full bore for it and I'm still happy to have it...

On the other hand, I have more rifles I could shoot deer with than I'll ever get a chance to take game with...

Tony

I have more rifles I could shoot deer with than I'll ever get a chance to take game with
Don't we all have more than we "need."
Could be worse
At a recent local car show, I was talking to two folks who came on separate motor cycles.
Between them they owned fifteen of them.

I dont have a Handi but i do shoot a boltgun in 300blk as well as a cpl AR's.

In a gun like the handi you can use bullet/load choices that are just not useable in the AR.

Ive got a load that uses Hornady 90gn XTP's and Trailboss that is silly quiet thru my can and is like the hammer of Thor on small game. Raccoons tremble at the sight of that gun:cool:

If you want to shoot targets at close range with a suppressor it is a good choice. I'm not sold on it as a hunting round. With 125-150 gr bullets it is 400-500 fps slower than a 30-30. About 300 fps slower than 7.62X39

The problem is that big game bullets need a minimum of around 1800 fps in order to expand in game. You can't push bullets heavier than 150 gr fast enough at the muzzle and 150's are borderline even inside 100 yards. 125's will work at closer ranges, but once you get to a 125 gr 30 cal bullet there are better options.

A 77 gr 223 @ 2800 fps is a better big game killer.

love it. 300 is a reloaders dream. i don't know if i would go the handi-rifle route unless wanting to supress, 300b.o. barrels for an AR don't cost anymore than .223's anymore, but you saw a deal and jumped on it. you'll have alot of fun. make sure to hot the 300BLK forum and buy "reloademizers" saw jig, makes life so much easier, sellf on ebay as well under same name. be careful what kind of .223 brass you invest in for conversion, some just plain don't work, maybe not as big an issue in a single shot though, but if you stick with lake city and PMC you'll be trouble free.

4227 is my fav ATM for plinking rounds. lil gun for high power loads(hunting i reckon), h110 is also pretty stout. the 4227 and 2400 are more for heavy and subsonic. you will prob want to use a 110gr - 125gr for hunting, they are better served by lil gun and h110 with mag primers.

ive been loading 300 for a good while now. hit me a pm if you need any advice.

Before you do anything else....
Remove the scope base.
Clean the screw hole threads with a good solvent (acetone, etc.).
Clean the screws with the same solvent.
Clean any debris from the scope base and from the barrel.
Remount the base with Loctite 222 (purple) applied to the screw threads.

Then top it off with decent rings and your scope of choice.
If you don't check (and clean and remount) the base, it will come loose on you.

And, I would skip the flash hider. There's no benefit for your use(s). A plain thread protector is a more sensible option.

If you want to shoot targets at close range with a suppressor it is a good choice. I'm not sold on it as a hunting round. With 125-150 gr bullets it is 400-500 fps slower than a 30-30. About 300 fps slower than 7.62X39

The problem is that big game bullets need a minimum of around 1800 fps in order to expand in game. You can't push bullets heavier than 150 gr fast enough at the muzzle and 150's are borderline even inside 100 yards. 125's will work at closer ranges, but once you get to a 125 gr 30 cal bullet there are better options.

A 77 gr 223 @ 2800 fps is a better big game killer.
I agree.
And, having recently been dealing with some cartridges that operate outside of the velocity windows typically associated with those calibers, I have come to better understand what a headache it can be to find a bullet that actually works.
(In my case, I'm dealing with 6mm bullets moving too slowly, .458" bullets moving too slowly, and .475" handgun bullets moving too quickly.)

If Mosin-Maurader is happy with the purchase, then that's great.
But, it's not the end-all-be-all hunting round that many people sell it as.

Case in point:
Terminal energy with a 110 gr bullet is nearly identical to .223 Remington with a 60 gr bullet, from 0 to 500 yards.
Short-range, it doesn't matter; but if you decide to try to go "long-range" (~250+ yd), .300 Blackout with a typical 110 gr bullet drops twice as much as .223 Rem with a 60 gr bullet.

NUTS

I hunt with hundred year old Winchesters. I place an old sock over the stock when in transit and this keeps the dings to a minimum.

Mosin, We finally agree on something, my AAC Handi with a Nikon 3x 30mm scope has taken a pile of Texas hogs including one 350# boar, each with a single 125 gr supersonic bullet. You will need to load for it to be cost effective especially if you plan to shoot a lot of ammo through this fun rifle. I simply installed a 5/8 x24 GI style flash suppressor on it, works as well as expensive ones at night wwhere you will have a quick loss of night vision no matter what. I have a standard length camo stock and forend on mine to give my Handi better handling.

Back