California conundrum

thanx fiddletown. also txaz & fiddletown, the deceased is probably getting a big kick upstairs and chuckling: "I thought this would be fun."

Originally Posted by TXAZ
...as this probate, will and decedent stuff is way to complicated for me, let alone getting arrested for doing something one would believe is OK.
What ever happened to laws that make sense?...
Actually, the laws of decent, wills, probate, intestate succession, etc., go back several hundred years. It was complicated then, and it's still complicated -- but really a little less so.

Read Bleak House by Dickens for a sense of the state of probate a couple of hundred years ago. Yes, things have gotten better, but they are still difficult.

http://www.online-literature.com/dickens/bleakhouse/

A single legal transferable full auto gun can be worth from $5,000 to over $100,000. About 8 years ago a Thompson in never fired condition went for sale at an asking price of $100,000. There is a lot of money at stake if the guns are full auto, but there is also the risk of spending time in prison. Find a way to stay with in the law and legally sell the guns. With me it isn't a money issue it is also a matter of preserving the guns as part of history. Find someone that is an expert on gun laws in your state and knows the value of guns.

HERE is a link to the $100,000 Thompson, I bet it would sell for double that today

...as this probate, will and decedent stuff is way to complicated for me, let alone getting arrested for doing something one would believe is OK.
What ever happened to laws that make sense?…
Just take advantage of the existing laws. Here in California, all you do is execute a living trust to avoid probate and taxes. When my father-in-law passed away, the entire inheritance issue was concluded in under half an hour with one visit to his trust attorney. Do your family a favor and look into trusts, and suggest your parents do the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just the messenger...

I talked to the son this weekend and yes they/ the estate/ decedent father has/ had a probate lawyer/ had a will, and made updates in the months before passing as the estate was large and they had about 6 months notice (metastasized prostate cancer- if you're a male over 50 get checked annually).

Their will / probate/ trust lawyer has been involved since before day 1, and the heirs made priority lists of what they wanted/ didn't want, and are working out the details on who gets what. Some of the heirs brought in their own lawyers initially but it seems like all the issues, sans guns, have been amicably resolved. They are waiting on a final heirs agreement and a judge to give the final ok before property physically changes hands, but it's a pretty cordial settlement.
The guns were listed as something like a 'gun collection consisting of hand guns, rifles and related materials' so specifics listing gun models were not there.

Some items & interests were gifted prior to passing, which is apparently a significant legal event or action, but not all may not have been distributed. Real estate, life insurance and securities are the largest assets most of the family want proceeds from, and only a few of the heirs want any weapons, only 2 want the "fun"/ class 3 guns and that has been agreed to subject to legal transferability. He indicated the lawyer was not familiar with class 3 weapons which may have resulted in some of the initial missteps action that may have been questioned, hence the initial post here.

Apparently all of the CA questionable weapons were located at another home outside CA. So were other weapons that may not be CA friendly.***

There apparently was a discussion with their lawyer about the guns initially without any significance placed on class 3 and assault weapons, or the size of the collection. After the fact/TFL post, their lawyer found and contacted a lawyer who specializes in class 3 trusts & corporations. They are working to get all of the weapons legally transferred, as it was not clear but some or all of the weapons may have already been under a trust or corporation, which may make transfer simpler by changing or adding another corporate officer, beyond me.
Sounds like it is working out.

***I have no first hand knowledge if / when any of the weapons were found in CA, moved from CA at all, moved before or after death, or how or if they were transported/ teleported / deported / reported or were just plain ported:) I am providing a 3rd hand ("double hearsay") update as requested for comment. :D

Back