Caliber requirements for deer hunting

buck460XVR said:
Many state and local regs are determined by the ethics and the traditions of hunters living there.

I can't speak for any other state but that couldn't be farther from reality in NY. Our regulations are determined by anti-gun/hunting politicians and unelected bureaucrats of the same persuasion.

Caliber Requirements for Texas hunting

The only caliber requirements in Texas are as follows:
For game animals it must be either a center fire rifle or shotgun. No minimum bullet weight or caliber size. No rimfire ammunition. All handgun ammunition is allowed.... as long as it isn't rimfire.

There is no minimum weight for archery equipment, yes even a 35lb compound bow is legal. There is no maximum bullet capacity for magazines (except shotgun and waterfowl and migratory bird. This is limited to two + one).

The ethics of the caliber selection is left to the hunter. Personally, I have taken my largest hog to date with a .22wmr. (head shot just behind the ear at 40yds). It is all about shot placement.

I can't speak for any other state but that couldn't be farther from reality in NY. Our regulations are determined by anti-gun/hunting politicians and unelected bureaucrats of the same persuasion.

I went to NY states deer regs and found these. IMHO, there is only one that could be said to be determined by anti-gun/hunting politicians and unelected bureaucrats of the same persuasion. The ones about shooting in water, use of bait, dogs and salt licks seem to be more of the reference I spoke of. The use of bait, dogs, and buckshot tend to be the most argued regs and ethics on most gun forums, yet there is a deep following and tradition for and against all of them. With the occurrence of CWD the baiting/Salt lick regs now have some real meaning, and now are based more on science than emotion.

It is unlawful to:

Take big game while the deer or bear is in water.
Possess a firearm of any description when bowhunting or when accompanying a person bowhunting during special archery seasons.
Make, set or use a salt lick on land inhabited by deer or bear.

It is unlawful to hunt big game with:

A firearm or bow aided by any artificial light or a laser that projects a beam toward the target.
An autoloading firearm with a capacity of more than 6 shells (one which requires that the trigger be pulled separately for each shot), except an autoloading pistol with a barrel length of less than 8 inches.
A firearm using rimfire ammunition.
A shotgun of less than 20 gauge or any shotgun loaded with shells other than those carrying a single projectile.
A bow with a draw weight of 35 lbs or less.
Arrows with barbed broadheads; arrowheads less than 7/8 inches at the widest point or with less than 2 sharp cutting edges.
Dogs.
Aircraft of any kind.
Bait.

You want to talk liberal?

There are no firearm, caliber, or magazine capacity restrictions when deer hunting on private land in Mississippi. Crossbows are legal during archery season. And it doesn't get much more liberal than this.

Weapons legal for use during the Primitive Weapons season are all archery equipment and primitive firearms."Primitive firearms," for the purpose of hunting deer, are defined as single or double-barreled muzzleloading rifles of at least .38 caliber; OR single shot, breech loading, metallic cartridge rifles (.35 caliber or larger) and replicas, reproductions, or reproductions of those type rifles with an exposed hammer; OR single or double-barreled muzzleloading shotguns, with single ball or slug. All muzzleloading primitive firearms must use black powder or a black powder substitute with percussion caps, #209 shotgun primers, or flintlock ignition. "Blackpowder substitute" is defined as a substance designed, manufactured, and specifically intended to be used as a propellant in muzzleloading or other black powder firearms, excluding modern smokeless powder. Metallic cartridges may be loaded with either black powder or modern smokeless powder (cartridges purchased at sporting goods stores). Telescopic sights are allowed while hunting with any primitive firearm during the primitive weapon seasons. During any open season on deer with primitive weapons after November 30, a person may use any legal weapon of choice on private lands only

As for bag limits we can take five does and three bucks. Bucks are 1 per day but if you want to take all five does in one day you can. There are also no deer tags.

buck460xvr said:
IMHO, there is only one that could be said to be determined by anti-gun/hunting politicians and unelected bureaucrats of the same persuasion.

There's a lot more than those....

Crossbows remain (mostly) illegal, even with strong support from hunters AND the DEC wanting to make them legal for years now.

Certain areas REFUSE to allow rifles for deer hunting even though they're legal for use in ANY other season and for any other purpose in those same areas and even when another county/township that might *literally* be 3 feet, one step over a county or town line away, allows them.

It is STILL illegal to carry a sidearm of *any* kind afield during archery season OR during firearms season unless you are a licensed deer hunter AND the sidearm is legal for deer.

Certain areas (not even in closely populated villages) refuse to allow deer hunting AT ALL, even when literally over-run with so many deer that they can't have gardens or even low hanging trees.

It is illegal to carry a centerfire rifle afield during deer season in any area where it's (arbitrarily) illegal to hunt deer with a rifle, even if there's a season open for another animal that DOES allow use of said rifle.

That's just off the top of my head.

I don't know how liberal this is but in Oregon rifle, it's .22 center fire and larger for deer and .24 center fire and up for elk. I don't remember the handgun rules since I don't handgun hunt.

This means I could hunt deer with my .22 Hornet if I was crazy enough to try it. I suppose if deer were easy to hunt, I might try it but it's pretty hard to get a black tail deer in the sights in a place that's legal to hunt them... I have several rifles more appropriate for the job so I don't use anything less than .25 caliber...

Tony

Colorado has a tome

1. CENTERFIRE RIFLES
a. Must be minimum of .24 caliber (6 mm).
b. Must have a minimum 16-inch barrel and be at least 26 inches long.
c. If semiautomatic, a maximum of six rounds are allowed in the magazine
and chamber combined.
d. Must use expanding bullets that weigh minimum 70 grains for deer,
pronghorn and bear, 85 grains for elk and moose, and have an impact
energy (at 100 yards) of 1,000-ft.-pounds as rated by manufacturer.
e. It is illegal to hunt game birds, small-game mammals or furbearers with a
centerfire rifle larger than .23 caliber during regular rifle deer and elk seasons
west of I-25, without an unfilled deer or elk license for the season. A
small-game, furbearer or unfilled big-game license is required.
2. FULLY AUTOMATIC RIFLES, including smart rifles, are
prohibited.
3. MUZZLELOADING RIFLES
& SMOOTHBORE MUSKETS
a. Only legal muzzleloaders allowed in muzzleloading seasons.
b. In-line muzzleloaders are legal.
c. Must be a single barrel that fires a single round ball or conical projectile.
d. To hunt deer, pronghorn or bear, they must be minimum of .40 caliber.
e. To hunt elk or moose, they must be minimum of .50 caliber.
f. From .40 caliber to .50 caliber, bullets must weigh a minimum 170 grains.
g. If greater than .50 caliber, bullets must weigh a minimum 210 grains.
h. Shotshell primers and B.O.R. Lock MZ System bullets are legal.
i. Pelletized powder systems prohibited in muzzleloading seasons.
j. Cannot be loaded from the breech in muzzleloading seasons.
k. Only open or iron sights allowed in muzzleloading seasons. Fiber optics
and fluorescent paint incorporated into or on open or iron sights are
legal. Scopes or any sighting device using artificial light, batteries and
electronic gear are prohibited during muzzleloading seasons.
l. Sabots are prohibited in muzzleloading seasons. Cloth patches are not
sabots.
m. Smokeless powder prohibited in muzzleloading seasons. Black powder
and black-powder substitutes are legal.
n. Electronic or battery-powered devices cannot be incorporated into or
attached to muzzleloader during muzzleloading seasons.
4. SHOTGUNS
a. Must be minimum 20 gauge, and fire a single slug. Use of buckshot is
illegal for hunting big game.
b. Barrel must be minimum 18 inches long. Minimum overall length, 26
inches.
5. HAND-HELD BOWS A long bow, recurve bow or compound
bow on which the string is not drawn mechanically or held mechanically
under tension. String or mechanical releases are legal if they are handdrawn
or hand-held with no other attachments or connections to bow
(except bowstring).
a. Hand-held bows, including compound bows, must use arrows with a
broadhead having a minimum 7/8-inch outside diameter or width and
minimum of two steel cutting edges. Each cutting edge must be in same
plane for entire length of cutting surface.
b. Only legal, hand-held bows allowed during archery seasons.
c. Minimum draw weight of 35 pounds required. Let-off maximum of 80
percent.
d. No part of bow’s riser (handle) or track, trough, channel, arrow rest or
other device (excluding cables and bowstring) that attaches to riser can
contact, support and/or guide the arrow from a point rearward of the
bow’s brace height behind the undrawn string.
e. Bows can propel only a single arrow at a time. No mechanisms for automatically
loading arrows allowed.
f. Scopes, electronic or battery-powered devices cannot be incorporated
into or attached to bow or arrow, with the exception of lighted nocks on
arrows. Recording devices such as cameras or video recorders attached
to bows may be used as long as they do not cast light toward the target or
aid in range finding, sighting or shooting the bow.
g. Hydraulic or pneumatic technology cannot be used to derive or store
energy to propel arrows. Explosive arrows prohibited.
6. CROSSBOWS
a. Draw weight must be minimum 125 pounds.
b. Draw length must be minimum 14 inches from front of bow to nocking
point of drawstring.
c. Positive mechanical safety device required.
d. Bolt must be minimum 16 inches long, have a broadhead minimum of
7/8-inch wide and with a minimum of two steel cutting edges. Each cutting
edge must be in same plane for entire length of cutting surface.
e. Illegal in archery seasons.
7. HANDGUNS
a. Barrel must be minimum 4 inches long.
b. Must use a minimum .24-caliber (6 mm) diameter expanding bullet.
c. Shoulder stocks or attachments prohibited.
d. Must use a cartridge or load that produces minimum energy of 550-ft.-
pounds at 50 yards as advertised by the manufacturer.

"5. HAND-HELD BOWS A long bow, recurve bow or compound
bow on which the string is not drawn mechanically or held mechanically
under tension. String or mechanical releases are legal if they are handdrawn
or hand-held with no other attachments or connections to bow
(except bowstring)."

Does this prohibit a string loop for a mechanical release? If so, it is stupid simply because it prohibits an accuracy improvement and, therefore, increases the risk of wounding an animal.

My post is not firearms related but addresses the quoted regulation in Post #27.

Last edited:
The deer tend to be fairly large in the states in which I have hunted (Iowa, Missouri, Minnesota, Montana, and Wyoming) so I prefer my .270 Win although I used a .243 in my first hunts many (over 40) years ago.

Last edited:
Texas is even more wide open than Alabama. We can use just about any ammo including FMJs and non expanding bullets. Now very few of us choose to use those type bullets but they are legal here. Our regulations are anything other than a rimfire literally, we can bait and use all the feeders we want but it is illegal to hunt deer using dogs here.

I would like to point out that, no matter WHAT the rules are this season, they might be different next season. Game laws are fairly easy to change, and they have changed quite a bit over time in some places.

USUALLY they get more restrictive, sometimes, they actually loosen up.

I notice a couple of posts from NY, and note some changes between today and what was the law 45+ years ago when I hunted in NY. Back then, the rules were simpler, it seems. Some of them were,

Northern Zone
Deer & Black Bear: centerfire rifle, or handgun, .24 caliber or larger. Shotgun, 20ga or larger, 12 ga being the upper limit (10ga was prohibited), slugs only for deer, slug or buckshot for black bear.

Southern Zone
Shotgun only, 20-12ga slug only for deer, slug or buckshot for bear.

The slug only for deer was one of the most ..discussed..part of the law, buckshot for deer having been outlawed only a few years before I began hunting, and most folks simply couldn't see any sense in it.

Crossbows were not allowed, because the law prohibited hunting with a bow that used a "mechanical release".

By contrast, when I moved to Washington state, the law for rifles was .240" or larger bullet, 85gr or heavier, with a ft/lb rating as well. As I recall, factory .25-35Winchester just barely made energy spec, and only with one load.

With handguns, it was more restrictive, and only certain rounds, listed by name, were legal for deer, and only from guns with 6" or longer barrels. My Ruger Blackhawk .41Magnum fired a listed legal cartridge, but because my pistol only had a 4 5/8" barrel, wasn't legal for deer hunting! My 7/5" Blackhawk .45 Colt wasn't legal either (.45 Colt was not on the list).

A decade or so later, they changed the laws somewhat and the approved caliber list, and barrel length requirement went away, replaced with an energy at 100yds requirement. And, the last time I looked at the regs (admittedly a long time ago) they specifically stated that 9mm and .45ACP did NOT meet the legal requirements for deer hunting.

I don't know exactly what the rules are today all I can say is that everyone should check their laws carefully for the current or upcoming season! They MIGHT not be the same as last season, in small or large details.

Back