Caliber question

I have shot several hogs up to about 160lbs. with a 22Mag.
My buddy using a 22lr we scraped the bullets of the side of its head that just broke the skin & flattened out.

IMO the 22LR. does not match the killing power of the 22mag or the 17HMR. Really not even close.

AS for price, if you cant afford the ammo You cant afford the rifle.

I've killed several hundred cows, bulls, and pigs with a .22 mag. But that was nearly point blank when I worked at a meat shop. May not be the answer you're looking for but a .22 mag is very effective at killing even very large bulls

What I would "shoot" with one is liable to be a longer list than what I willd HUNT with one. Case in point I'd never take a rimfire coyote hunting but I'll dang well shoot one given about any opprotunity with any thing I have with me. Also, the list of what I'd "shoot" with one is gonna look very similer to a .22lr.

Shoot = coyotes on down
Hunt = coon on down.

LK

I know that bullets lose power the further they go, so I dont want to maime the animals. I usually just plink up a storm. I have a shotgun I varmint hunt with, slugs out far(ish) and #4 buck up close. I hunt dense brush, so not too many long shots. Just wondering what is a clean kill, not just a "well, I hit it, so it will probably die" shot. Even coyotes and coons deserve a quick, clean kill.

Back