Caliber popularity

Kinda funny how a few years ago the 243 and 6mm were considered marginal for deer and such and now 223 is considered okay for the job.

Can't really go by what moves in the stores. A lot of guys buy a lot of box ammo to practice and hunt out of state with. When they hunt local, they usually grab the old standby, what ever that is. Check it with 3 rounds, use 2-3 for deer hunting. Ammo lasts a long time that way. I am seeing a lot more 25-06 rifles in the woods in the last couple years.

Kinda funny how a few years ago the 243 and 6mm were considered marginal for deer and such and now 223 is considered okay for the job.
That's largely due to changes in bullet design and construction that has greatly increased the performance of smaller cartridges.

I still don't like a 223 for deer sized game though since they don't give you good blood trails in most cases.

Snyper,
Or the 6mm's getting blamed unjustly over the years. ;) We were buying Winchester 64gr PowerPoint ammo over 20 years ago, not your garden variety 55gr varmint bullet.

Re: 223Rem
Absolutely nothing "wrong" with a 65-69gr soft point coming out of a 20"+ barrel.
Any reasonable placement = 2Xdead for eastern deer. (actually anything 200lb-ish)

Some yahoo with his 16" M4 look-alike and suplus military FMJ... then we have a problem.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Otherwise, my Go24Anything is 375H&H;)

99 Savage,

I have used my 99 .22 HiPower to hunt and kill deer with no problems. Do you think the extra .004 on the diameter of the bullet makes it a better deer killer than a .224 bullet? When I was a kid I swallowed all that nonsense about light rifles. A .17 caliber is legal in my state to hunt deer.

.24 caliber bullets have much better S.D. and the guns firing them generally have the twist to stabilize them properly. Use what you want though.

Back