Caliber choice 22-250 vs 223AI

Status
Not open for further replies.
22-250 vs 223AI

Fire forming the Ackley chambered rifles is not as big an issue or drama that some people make it out to be. My three Ackley chambered rifles rifles are a Brno in 223AI, a M700 in 22-250AI and a Sako A3 in 25-06AI. All of these rifles have been rebarrelled with match grade varmint profile barrels None of these rifles have ever suffered problems with feeding issues. The important thing when setting up these rifles is to get a good smith who knows what he is doing to do the work. While extreme highest velocity does not always give the best accuracy what I have found is that I have been able to step up bullet weight a few sizes for the same velocity with the Ackley chambers, for instance in the 25-06AI I now shoot 100grainers at the same velocity that I used to shoot 75 grainers at with the standard chamber and still get around half inch groups at 100yards. The performance of the 25-06AI is exactly the same as the .257 Weatherby Magnum but burning significantly less powder to achieve it.
Another important thing is to buy good Quality brass, As Norma brass is hard to come by here I normally start off with Norma factory ammo and just fireform it and even with standard 25-06 ammo the accuracy is still around 1inch groups for five shots at 100yards.

Last edited:
Bought the 22-250. Just waiting on it and my barrel nut wrench to get here. Also have some headspace gauges on the way.

6mm XC - it's a .22-250 necked up to 6mm. You get an 8 twist barrel and shoot 115gr DTAC bullets over 3k fps for 1000 yard competition. Should be a top notch long distance varminter.

DTAC bullet is like .600 BC.

David Tubb came up with this for High Power shooting.

Norma makes the brass. I think they even do factory ammo for it.

If you can, why not buy the .22-250 barrel and keep the 7mm-08. You may want to hunt with it at some point and though the .22-250 can kill deer, the 7mm-08 is a fantastic cartridge for deer and longer range shooting.

I have both a .223 Rem and .22-250. The .223 is a great range rifle because it doesn't heat up much and the .22-250 Rem is about the nicest varmint round in a short action.

If you're sold on the .223AI and want to have a regular .223 Rem, can't you set the barrel back and re-chamber to .223? Having three barrels for one rifle would be a great deal.

Ive got a tikka T3 in 30-06 for deer hunting, And i am trading my 7mm-08 barrel for a NTO 243 barrel.

Ackley Improved?

Sav200 223@115M Millett 4x16x56 5rnds.jpgWhy even consider??? Everytime I go to my local gun store, Wally-World, or Accademy Outdoors and ask for a box of AI .223 all I get is a blank stare. I look at it from sheer economics. Why buy these odd ball calibers when they don't offer much, if any, improvement over commercial calibers.

IMHO I would leave the rifle as is and just go back and get a .22-250 or .223 Rem. That way you will have 2 excellent rifles. By the way, I own a Rem 700 ADL, Savage 12FV in .22-250, and a Savage/Stevens 200 in .223 (along with 4 ARs). It shouldn't cost that much more than a new barrel.Sav200 223@115M Millett 4x16x56 5rnds.jpg

Well, i am on a tight budget and wanted to get the best for my money and caught the stevens 200 on sale for 215 out the door but it was only in 7mm-08 and 270. I picked the 7mm-08 because i have been doing some research and know that the 7mm-08 is short action and has the same(well almost) bolt face as the 243, 7mm-08 and 308. So i bought a barrel nut wrench and am going to trade my7-08 barrel for a 243 barrel and just purchased a used SS fluted varmint countour barrel in 22-250 for 140 shipped to my door. In the end i ended up with 2 guns for the price of one. And the reason i considered the 223AI is that you can fire for brass and get pretty good accuracy from the standard 223 rounds and i already have a reloading setup.

No one has really talked about it, but what got my attention was the 1:9 twist. That will let you shoot heavier bullets much more accurately - you can take the weight on up to 70 gr. For hunting with that twist I'd be loading 65gr. Sierra Game king Spitzer boat Tails. I use 55 gr. in my gun, but would be using the 65 if I had a faster Twist. Try H4895 powder while you are at it.

Just a thought. Maybe a good choice for heavier varmints might be to get a faster-twist 26", .224 diameter barrel and chamber it for the .22-250 Ackley Improved. Then it would shoot 60-70 grain bullets much better. Maybe a 1 in 10 (or 11, if made) would be okay.

It would be great to be able to shoot 70 grain .224 bullets at 3,400 fps. or more. That should kill coyotes out to 400 yards and not be too hard on barrels.

The .22-250AI also greatly reduces case-stretching over the standard .22-250 Rem cartridge.

Ackley Improved? Why even consider???

Because some people are interested in longer case life, better performance, and being just a little different. Nothing wrong with any of that.

Everytime I go to my local gun store, Wally-World, or Accademy Outdoors and ask for a box of AI .223 all I get is a blank stare.

That will probably always be so. AI chamberings are a handloading proposition.

Why buy these odd ball calibers when they don't offer much, if any, improvement over commercial calibers.

See the first line of this post. It's really not much of an odd ball. He can still shoot standard ammo if he got in a pinch, and would be fire-forming brass in the process.

Why buy these odd ball calibers when they don't offer much, if any, improvement over commercial calibers.

Handloaders see the world from a different perspective.
Most shooters see published velocity, energy calculations, availability of ammo, and popularity as the major factors in considering a new cartridge.

For Handloaders; their imagination is the limit. (Within the tolerances of the cartridge.)
We don't have to shoot factory ammo.
My .270 Win has seen everything from 1,300 fps 130gr Power Points, to 3,600 fps 100gr HPs. You won't find similar loads in factory ammo, anywhere.
I have a 40 gr SP load for my .22 WMR that is moving so slow a chronograph won't read the bullet. I can knock birds out of trees, without drawing blood. (I'm sure it still hurts like hell, though.)

While the common 'I-buy-all-my-ammo-at-WalMart' shooters see the 'oddballs' as a hinderance, with no improvement over the wonderful Wally World ammo; reloaders have a different view.

Most people don't know what the .400 Whelen is, or where they would even start looking for ammo. (You won't find it. Don't try.) For me, it's a set of special order reloading dies, a bag of parent cartridge brass (.280 Rem, .30-06, or .35 Whelen), and endless possibilities.

Until Remington chambered the .35 Whelen in their rifles in 1987, no one would have recognized the above reference, either. Oddballs become 'standard', more often than the common shooter knows.

Before 2004, almost every .17 and .20 caliber cartridge on the planet was looked upon with distaste. "What's the point? Just get a .223." Now, the .204 Ruger out sells the .223 Rem in several rifle models; and the .17 HMR has blown away the .22 WMR. (With many other .17 caliber cartridges seeing a huge resurgence, due to the new bullet technology introduced for the HMR.)

In 1934, not many shooters wanted a 50gr case capacity cartridge, slinging a .22 caliber bullet. It was an oddball idea, without an obvious purpose. Two days from now (Jan. 1, 2010); the .220 Swift will turn 75 years old - having begun its life as a commercial cartridge in 1935.

Time, is the only thing that separates the Oddball cartridge, from a Commercial chambering.

Last edited:
3/8" 3-shot groups with a 22-250

I bought a Remington 700 22-250 10 years ago. Went to the range a week later to sight it and scope in. 10 rounds to sight in, and next target was a 3/8" 3-shot group at 100 yards. Factory Remington ammo.

No one is talking about barrel lengt here? Using a short barrel like 22 or 24 inch the 22-250 and .243 is a really bad choice. You only using 50-70% of the cartridge performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back