Cabela's SLOW Shipping

weblance

My first experience with Cabela's will be my last. On September 28th I ordered a rifle. My only option was to pick it up at my "local" Cabela's store, which happens to be 90 miles one-way. I got a great price on the rifle, and free shipping. It was stated that it would take 5-8 business days to arrive. On September 29th, I received an email stating my rifle had shipped. Terrific. My rifle has now been in the "shipping" process for 10 calendar days, 7 actual business days. Its killing me. Cabela's, where is my rifle? How can you take so long? How do you possibly think this is a positive experience for a customer? Do you actually expect me to tell all my friends what a great experience I had with my first Cabela's order?

Yes, I understand you get what you pay for. Yes, I understand they stated 5-8 business days. It still makes me angry. They certainly didn't wait 5-8 business days to charge me. I have ordered several firearms from Buds Gun Shop, and got free shipping. It certainly didn't take 2 weeks for my item to arrive.

I can only pick up my rifle on a Monday, because of work, and other obligations. IF my rifle isn't available this Monday for pickup, it will be a month since I ordered it, before I will obtain it, IF it even arrives next week.

I will NEVER order another thing from Cabela's. Anytime someone asks for an opinion about Cabela's, I will go out of my way to detail my poor experience. I may be wrong in doing so, because it was stated 5-8 business days, but I don't care. I'm mad, and there's no excuse for an item to take so long to arrive.

Well....

it's always tough to wait for something we want. But really you state that it's only been 7 business days.

I would remind myself that it was a great deal, and deal with it. It's not Cabelas' fault you can only go on Mondays (guess you work on Sat & Sun?). I'm sure you've explained the situation by phone to the store's customer service, without raising hell with them, so that they still want to help you???

As you can read here in the 'general discussion' forum, you will be dealing with people that may be losing their jobs and having the store closed. If I were you, I'd check to see how close the nearest Bass Pro is to that Cabelas. If it's close enough to compete for customers, they may plan to close it, which could mean they are not shipping to that store like they did before. That might cause snags in the system that the store manager might help solve....unless you told him/her off.

I hope they don't just refund you, and you lose your good deal. That would make sense for them if you yell too much. I would tread lightly and be nice. The next nearest store that's not closing, might be 200 miles away. I would keep the 'nice' emails/phone calls going and try to get to the manager and whoever handles receiving guns for that store.

Good luck, be nice. You might be mad, but don't be dumb. None of us may get the chance to order from Cabelas again, and Bass Pro doesn't do things like Cabelas.....unfortunately.

I rarely order from Cabela's, but when I have (all NOT firearms), I usually get what I order within a week or 8 or 9 days. No operation is perfect.

You must have gotten a great deal for it to be worth $90 wear and tear on your vehicle and 3 hours time in travel.

Sometimes we have to remember that the selling department is a completely different entity than the delivering department.

I order something from one place that has no separate delivering department.

It takes 6 days by the Unites States Postal Service delivered 1st class.

When a large item has to go from a store to a warehouse to another store, I would not expect the moving to take place in 7-8 business days. Especially with a large retailer that moves thousand of items per week.

Now that I live in the NW corner state.... 7 days is nothing. I've waited six weeks for stuff from the east coast.

I've learned to avoid mail order for things I want now. But I order stuff all the time and forget it till it arrives. I do over obsess sometimes and over check the package progress, I know most ups hubs and routes from anywhere in the US.

I got a scope two weeks after I decided it wasn't coming, but it showed up.

It's not just the mail order stores, either.
I recently shipped something across the country that was supposed to arrive in 2-3 days.
It actually took 7 days.
It could be worse,
Imagine if your order was done around Christmas time.
Might not get it until the spring thaw.

weblance

Driving 360 miles garners little if anything in savings in your situation.
The longer non delivery is allowed to go on. Surely isn't beneficial to either party.

Call the store and get a refund.

Suggestion: Next time buy the firearm locally or pay a small fee and have it shipped to a local FFL holder. He at least knows what to do in these situations i.e. {Delivery trace. Where is it? _Who/s got it? Get another in the mail ASAP!!)

Cabela is slow. I have Cabela close by and I order online and pick up in store to save shipping and still takes 2 weeks for my order to "arrive" and ready to pickup even they show it is available in store. I order online to take advantage of online specials. I cancelled my last online order and just went to the store to buy it, they match online price.

Not yet,BASS buyout is happening, but not complete. I order stuff from cabelas all the time and it usually ships the next day and it arrives within 3-5 days via the little brown truck.

Why are you asking Cabelas HERE? Try calling them with your order number and talking to someone who can actually give you answers. Young folks today have zero patience it seems in this world of instant gratification.

I have called Cabela's, as well as the online chat. No one knows where it is or when it will arrive. I am not a young, impatient person. Im old just like many here. I have ordered from Buds, KyGunCo, and Centerfire guns. None have taken more than 7 days to reach my LGS. It will be 13 days at the least before my order is available, IF Cabela's gets it in store on Monday. Its just frustrating.

Why didn't you have it shipped to your local gun store?

Because Cabela's wont do that. It can only be shipped to, and picked up in a Cabela's store.

When I called Customer Service, I was told it was on the store truck, and they didnt know where it was. I just realised that since its on the Cabela's store truck, that truck is probably making multiple stops. I am used to an item shipping with FedEx or UPS, and it goes directly to the hub that is closest to the local delivery area, and then out for delivery. The Cabela's store truck could very well stop at every Cabela's between Nebraska, and my local store. That makes a little more sense as to why its been in transit for a week and a half

When a large item has to go from a store to a warehouse to another store, I would not expect the moving to take place in 7-8 business days. Especially with a large retailer that moves thousand of items per week.

That's what I tried to tell ya, but I guess not plain enough.

The Cabela's buyout is not projected to be complete until mid 2017 last I heard. It will take some time after that to actually shut down the redundant stores.

I can't understand how people by things online and than are surprised when it takes a few weeks to arrive. Did people used to get this upset about mail order? If you need it NOW, go buy it at a local retailer NOW. If you want a deal buy it online, but be aware shipping may take some time.

Here is the really bad news. I don't know what kind of inventory system Cabela's uses on their website. It may be they are linked to their distributor's inventory and order the firearm when you do. Between the multiple database connections it is not uncommon for a site to list something as in stock when the distributor has already sold that item. You may not have anything on the way. They may have listed it in shipping, but that may just indicate the order was processed and sent to shipping.

My observations have led me to believe sales are building up for the election and hunting season. It may just be they are a bit slower than they would like to be at the moment.
These things are only going to get worse through Christmas. Get ready for it,

Over the past 10 years I 've had a dozen long guns or hand guns shipped by Cabelas to two different FFL's. In only one instance have I had an issue and that was due to a bad fax machine at Cabelas and its' failure to receive the FFL's documentation. Just a little legit counter fact that supports Cabelas.

.02. David. :D

Last winter I bought a used handgun from Cabela's . I called the store (about 600 miles away) and the salesman was very helpful . I bought the firearm on a Friday (bad timing) . The next week I called for a tracking number and was told no firearm was shipped to my FFL ? The person I talk to that day said that handgun has not been sold yet ? I ask to talk to the guy that sold me the gun sorry he is on Vacation for TWO WEEKS .

It all worked out as the sale was not on the Cabela computer but on a note pad from the sales guy on vacation and the manager found it .

I got the firearm a little later and was happy to have it BUT what the hell .

I use gallery of guns if I don't order direct through my favorite shop. Cabelas has good prices on firearms but I'll pay for a piece of mind. Never had a firearm take more than 5 working days.

Back