cabelas no powder

Howdy

Because it is a true explosive, many jurisdictions have stricter requirements for businesses to store real Black Powder. Some jurisdictions forbid it. That may be part of what you are seeing. Pyrodex and most of the other substitutes can be stored under the same regulations as Smokeless powder, which are not as stringent.

I used to drive about an hour to pick up a few pounds of Goex at a time. Then the clerk of the works forgot to renew the license with the ATF to store real Black Powder. Rather than go through the hassle of getting reapproved, which would have involved some major expense because the ATF wanted them to move their storage bunker, they simply stopped selling real Black Powder.

These days I go in with a friend on a carton of 25 pounds of Schuetzen from Maine Powder House every couple of years. We don't mind laying in a good supply, and the hazmat fee is the same if you buy 3 pounds or 25 pounds. Plus, then we have a good supply in case the price goes up.

At Grafs I get all my powder for $16.99 an lb.

That's almost seven cans for a Benjamin, all with the no shipping cost to me.

You are indeed fortunate to have access to them! The prices that I quoted was from Graf & Sons, having a minimal amount shipped.

Yup, we have one local gun shop that sells black powder, and it's about $26 a pound. I can get it slightly cheaper when I buy 10 pounds at a time from Powder Inc.

This year is the year I am going to explore manufacturing my own using the pressed/corned technique.

My preliminary estimates are that I can buy the materials online and manufacture my own BP for about $4 a pound. The only real question for me is does it make a product that is consistent enough for competition.

Steve

Steve,
I make screened black powder, it is not very precise though and it needs to be measured by weight rather than volume. I also just ordered a compressing tool so I can make black powder than can be measured by volume.

Yup, by all accounts, pressing/corning makes a superior powder. And it gives me an excuse to get a 20 ton press from Harbor Freight. :)

Steve

Back