C & R Pistol Collecting

attachment.php

An IJ Owlhead is a a true piece of Americana. This one has a huge bc gap and gets about 500 fps with factory 38 S&W. The steriopticon picture is of the Russo=Japanese war picked up at the St Louis Worlds fair by my grandfather.

Last edited:
Well, if we're showing off C&R barbeque guns I've got a couple;

Browning 1910/22 in .380. It's all factory.
pix90596656.jpg

S&W model 10 in .38 Gold accents were added (not by me) the rest was factory. Odd part of this pistol is it has a 2 digit serial number. Being a bench jeweler I guess I could remove the gold plating easily enough but just opt not to.
Mod10-L.jpg

Browning 1910/22 in .380. It's all factory.
FWIW the Browning 1910/22 is an alternate name for the FN Model 1922 I mentioned earlier. The 1910 was one of John Browning's earlier designs and IIRC was the first mass-produced automatic with the recoil spring around the barrel rather than around a separate guide rod. That's why the pistol's lines are so slender.

This pistol and the Remington Model 51 (re: dogtown tom's post) are fun to show off to Glock fanboys who believe that striker-fired pistols are a recent innovation. ;)

Actually, speaking of which, another nifty C&R pistol is the J.P. Sauer & Sohn (usually referred to simply as "Sauer") 38H. It's a DA/SA concealed-hammer automatic with a nifty and unique feature- it has a grip-mounted lever that resembles the decocking lever on modern SIG Sauer pistols, except that in addition to decocking, it will also cock the pistol. :cool: IIRC it's also one of the first pistols with a tactile loaded chamber indicator.

I want one of them 1910s or the 1955 variation. If bobs gunshop is any good, there are plenty of spare parts and magazines.

The "loaded chamber indicator" seems to be a German trait in semi automatic pistols. Lugers come staight into mind as well as many others.
The FN 1922 pictured above is nice however I do prefer shooting it in 7.65 rather than .380. The 32 Cal is much more comfortable. One of these days I will find a 1903 Colt that's afordable. Just another fine example of Brownings parallel ruler design. I would like a FN1910 C&R in good condition but there aren't to many to be found at a reasonable price.

I think the part that's not mentioned about collecting C&R firearms is the hunt itself. Finding and learning about a piece of history that we can proudly show off, both on the range and off. Yeah, that glock at the range may be impressive, but when I bring out the artillery Luger out of it's case all eyes are on it.
The icing on the cake is finding it at an affordable price. Going to estate auctions, cruising GB, and checking out-of-the-way pawn shops for that new piece. That's the fun.:D

A Luftwaffe rig complete - FN 1922 7.65, great shooter, got my son into C&R with it.
pix166153062.jpg

Last edited:
Just to be a wisea$$. Carguychris, you might not want to use the Remington 51 as an example of a striker fired pistol because it is a hammer gun.

And, Drachenstein, the Model 1922 is not a "parallel ruler" locked breech design, it is straight blowback.

The Model 1922 is just the Model 1910 altered for a longer barrel and longer magazine, which were features wanted by FN's military and police customers. Same basic gun.

Jim

BTW... the pocket autos can be a nice item to collect as well, typically don't cost too much... I have a few, but being a revolver guy, I just can't get into them as much...

a Colt & an Italian 25 auto in this pic...

attachment.php

BTW #2... I have nearly one of every model of CZ semi auto up to the CZ 75... er ... well actually the 85 ( father in law was both a collector & Czech...:D alot of these were used by several countrys during the world wars, & can be quite collectable

a couple...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
:oAnother fine example of checking your post prior to posting, especially after cutting and pasting. I stand in error. Should have read;

The "loaded chamber indicator" seems to be a German trait in semi automatic pistols. Lugers come staight into mind as well as many others.
The FN 1922 pictured above is nice however I do prefer shooting it in 7.65 rather than .380.The 32 Cal is much more comfortable. One of these days I will find a 1903 Colt that's afordable. Just another fine example of Brownings parallel ruler design. I would like a FN1910 C&R in good condition but there aren't to many to be found at a reasonable price.

You are right FN 1922 or Browning 1910/22 is blowback operated :o no argument there. In so far as the nomanclature it's been called FN 1910/22, Browning 1910/22, FN 1922, Browning 1922, but it's proper military designation is the M1922.

Just to be a wisea$$. Carguychris, you might not want to use the Remington 51 as an example of a striker fired pistol because it is a hammer gun.
Well nuts. After a brief online search, I found a cutaway drawing, and it does indeed have a concealed hammer. :o

I guess this is what I get for listening to a gun store clerk. I assumed the guy was right because he's actually extremely knowledgeable about older small-caliber automatics.

Since I'm usually the one being the wisea$$ I guess I had it coming. ;)

Magnum,

What model is the CZ in the bottom picture? I don't recognize it. It's actually uglier than a Mauser 1910, which is really quite remarkable. ;)

I'm not very good with remembering model numbers from any of the manufacturers... but believe that one to be a model 38...

here are a couple more...

attachment.php

& everyone has to have a '52

attachment.php

... & actually the thing I like about collecting the pistols the most...

... they are smaller & take up less space... I have a traditional 8 gun locker that is stuffed with milsurp rifles all pre AR, ( all have wood stocks ) some are Czech, most are American got a few oddities like the Swiss straight pull bolt... most of these are bolt action, but the newest 3 American rifles are all semi autos of course... anyway, I have about 12 or 13 crammed into a traditional 8 gun locker... many many more C&R & antique handguns fit into the same size locker space, that I have devoted to handguns

Last edited:
I recomend a Polish Tokerev

I bought a Polish Tokerev 7.62x25 Pistol from Southern Ohio Gun.
The pistol they sent me, was in great shape, the barrel looks new.
It came with a good leather holster, extra magazine, and a cleaning rod.
I bought that gun, and 170 rounds of ammunition delivered to my door for $237.
It can out shoot alot of the newer more expensive pistols I have fired.
I also recently found out, that you can buy a 9MM barrel, Magazine and Spacer for about 50 bucks. It would be like having two pistols in one.
I recomend your friend look at one of these pistols. They shoot precisely to point of aim, are very simple to operate, and rugged.

The bottom picture is indeed a Model 38, sometimes called the "Czech P.38."

The Germans called it the P.39(t), to avoid confusion with their own P.38 (t = Tschechoslowakei, the German spelling of Czechoslovakia). The used some, but did not have them made, mainly because .380 (9mm Kurz) was not in the Wehrmacht supply system.

It is a blowback, in .380 caliber, and is double action only. Takedpwn for cleaning is by pushing the button on the left side forward and lifing the slide and barrel upward. The slide then can be pulled off the barrel.

Jim

Back