C&R 03 FFL experts needed...Gunbroker seller refusing to accept

Some confusion here. The 50 year rule is automatic; the gun does not have to appear on the C&R list. But it applies to an individual gun, not to a model date or date of introduction of a model.

Jim

I have almost had the same problem, managed to verify with the seller first.....simple query "C&R FFL03 OK?", always had an answer in a few hours.

Sure is nice to able to get something delivered to the door!

Using the 50 year old logic, AK 47s were first produced over 50 years ago. I would not expect to see those made before 1962 to be C&R eligible.
I would go by the BATFE CFR list if I was the dealer.

An AK 47 produced 50+ years ago would be a select fire weapon and not eligible for importation.

In a very rare case, if the AK was a 50+ year old transferable gun already in the registry, it most certainly would be eligible for shipment directly to an 03 FFL holder, provided he met all the other usual requirements for obtaining an NFA weapon. (I.e fingerprints, photos, $200.00 tax payment, etc.)

If you were a dealer going only by BATF's list, then you would be losing a lot of potential business by being so narrow minded and ignorant of the law.

In a very rare case, if the AK was a 50+ year old transferable gun already in the registry, it most certainly would be eligible for shipment directly to an 03 FFL holder, provided he met all the other usual requirements for obtaining an NFA weapon. (I.e fingerprints, photos, $200.00 tax payment, etc.)

Not only that, wouldn't it save him a $200 transfer fee? (he'd still have to pay one transfer, but not two) And the extra time involved getting the transfer paperwork for the intermediary FFL?

And let's not forget....when a listing says, 'licensed FFL dealer', C & R licenses do not 'make us dealers', in fact it prohibits us from being a dealer. Hence always best to ask any seller if they've not specifically addressed sales to C & R licensees.

I don't really have anything to add, it's been pretty well covered. However, I have written to Gunbroker before and requested that next time they revamp their page layout that a line be included to state whether or not the dealer will accept a C&R when appropriate. Got kind of a generic answer saying they would pass it along to their tech team. Perhaps if more of you would do something similar we might get their attention. Worth an email anyway to try.

Back