Buying new - Colt or Springfield

I have a Springfield RO in .45 that I use in weekly bullseye pistol matches for the last 3 years. Six to seven K through it using my loads and not a single hick up or part breakage yet.

A pony gun at double the price made no sense to me.

Bill

Attachments

• IMG_0135.jpg
    IMG_0135.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 14
Buying new-colt or springfield

I have a Springfield tactical, but I have a preference for heavier pistols as I am
mostly bullseye shooter. That opens a rabbit hole of CZ, SAR, EAA and a rare
Sig 220 Elite match they don't make anymore.
I shot a Gold cup for a long time, never had any issues with it.
It's just like catching the cl#p, you gotta get exposed.:cool:

Interesting posts so far.

In 1984, I bought a new Colt 'Series 80' - looks just like the 4th one from the left in Drm50's pic. It has a satin nickel finish; which, mine is the only one I've seen like it until Drm50's post.

It was my first semi-auto gun - being a revolver guy. It didn't take long for it to become my favorite gun to shoot (even with its stock, clunky trigger). I've put several 10's of thousands of rounds through it. Probably my most shot gun (I have some revolvers that are close though).

My Colt has been a great gun. And these days, it's in a well-deserved state of semi-retirement. Now days, I'm running a 12Lb recoil spring and it only digests very light 200gn LSWC loads (I load my own). Still as tack-driver accurate as the day it was made.

In 2015, I bought a bottom-of-the-line Springfield "mil-spec" (??). From the box, it has shot great with outstanding reliability. Even the fixed sights are dead-on. The trigger, although short of "full race" quality, is still nice n crisp in its own right. I love my out of the box stock, bottom of the line, Springfield 1911. It is a fantastic gun and is my home defense piece - this, coming from a revolver guy, mind you.

Side note: I have shot quite a few Springfields of various models and calibers out at the range (friends', and whatnot). And every single one of them have been a pleasure to shoot. I'm a big fan of Springfield Armory guns.

So glean from that what you will.

I’ve owned both. I would buy a Colt again.

Springfield has done some stuff internally to 1911’s that just piss me off. Once I got some DW’S and a Colt, I learned it doesn’t have to be like that.

I hope the Hipower clone is better.

Why buy new??

and, yes, that's a serious question.

Other than a warranty, what are you really getting for the new price??

Sure, I know that some folks are worried about buying "someone else's mistake", but I'm not. I know what I'm looking at, and I don't buy guns sight unseen. A new gun, with a warranty doesn't mean you aren't buying a factory mistake, only that for the $ you're spending, they're obligated to fix their mistakes. Shipping should be on their dime, but sometimes, it's not.

Sometimes "other people's mistakes" are good guns at great prices. IF you know what you're doing.

A while back, I saw a 22 Luger at a local shop. Their price was about $100 less than what the average market price was. I asked about it, and they told me that they had tried to use it as a range rental, and that it was a jamm-o-matic, so they were selling it cheap. I bought it. Took it home and tested it, and indeed, they were right, about half the rounds from the first magazine jammed!!

Then I OILED IT. Ran flawlessly after that! :D

Used guns aren't automatically crap, some are, most aren't. Even if the seller thinks they are, they're often fine with a little TLC or some minor tinkering.

If you want a new gun, get a new gun. If you want a good gun, don't overlook the used market. And, don't take the word of the guy behind the counter as gospel, unless you know they are honest, knowledgeable firearms people. Some aren't.

@44 AMP, I like your point about getting a used pistol. Most of my collection are used. I get them and tinker until they run 100%. Like a hobby, but the satisfaction that I got an affordable runner.

Also, like I have said in a few posts on this forum and a few others I belong to. Gun companies, for the most part, are over and above for customer service. They want happy returning customers. There are a few that kind of stick it to the buyer... And they stink. Don't know who they are as I haven't dealt with them, yet. All of the manufacturers I have dealt with have made me feel like the only customer they have when I needed their help.

Warranty is nice and all, but that eventually runs out, normally right before something goes belly up. :p

Usually the manufacturer will fix the gun for little or no charge if it is something in the workmanship that went bad. Sort of like an extended and unwritten warranty of sorts.

Warranty? Nice to have, I suppose, but do note that for the last few years, Ruger has not (and will not) issue a written warranty. They state that they stand behind their guns, and they absolutely do.

Apparently, Ruger got fed up with trying to keep up with the various and changing state requirements over what had to be said in a written warranty, and basically said "screw it" and no longer gives a written warranty.

I kind of like that attitude.

In my experience, Ruger is "for life" no matter where or when you bought it. A phone call was all it took. Same with Mossberg.

I've never had an issue with a Glock or Springfield or S&W, but I've heard the same from those that did. Not many.

Point is, most major manufacturers will go the extra mile to support their customers, whether it was bought directly/new or not. These days, that kind of publicity is worth far more than any marketing campaign.

I have had both .... but today's Colts internally are not well made - or well fit in my view. I think Springfield just makes a stronger gun internally - and their TRP models are a lot of gun for the money - with many of the features I want on a gun ( mag well, ambi safety, checkered front strap, etc ...)

I own 1911s by both Colt and Springfield. The Colts outnumber the Springfields and, now that I have scratched the Springfield itch, I won't buy another. Between those two brands, I prefer Colt -- no contest. The 'S' brand guns just look and feel clunky and crude compared to the 'C' brand.

Springfield makes a decent gun, and they a good choice.
Colts are better finished and are an excellent 1911 for the money.

IMO, I'd take a serious look at Dan Wesson they are outstanding for the price point.

I own both…

I own two Springfields and three Colts. If I had to choose, I would choose Colt, but thankfully I don’t have to choose because that would be a tough decision. I like the history of the Colt name, and the Colt roll marks on the slide look classy in my opinion. But my Springfields have been 100% reliable, whereas my Colts have had a hiccup or two. Like I said, it’s a tough decision that I’m glad that I don’t have to make.

That is a tough one and I have no beef with Springfield--but my vote is go with Colt.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6173.jpg
    IMG_6173.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 62
Back