buying my last pistol for a while what should I get

I would recommend either a S&W m19 or m66 with 4" bbl. They both offer everything you are looking for and then some. They carry and conceal quite well in a quality 3-slot belt holster. Shoot accurately, retain good value if you do your part in the care of them, and like other stated, you get the added benefit of 357mag power if you decide you need it.

There's really no downside to one of these two choices based on what you say you are looking for... Except they will generally run you a little more $$$ than the average 40 cal....

I think you should buy your first revolver. I had two semi-automatics when I bought my SAA cowboy revolver. I bought a cheap Heritage Rough Rider 22lr/22mag. I wanted a Single Six but being cheap, I spent the same money or less and got the revolver and a Henry lever action 22. I enjoy shooting them more than I do my semi-auto pistols and rifles and it reminds me of the TV shows and movies I saw as a kid. I can shoot all day for just a little money since it takes longer to shoot and reload and the ammo is cheap if you are careful where you buy it and can find it.

finally decided

so I went to my local gun shop today and looked at some of the guns that he had in stock. and I decided to get one of the charter arms 38 special undercover revolvers that he had so i got it for 316.00 so I didn't think that it was a bad price.

Choices...

.357 revolver. lotsa cheap ammo in many different loads. Gotta lotta choices in which make! So, more fun making choices! ( I like Ruger...but there are SO many!) Why revolver? One, brass never flies away where you cannot find it or gets bent last timers love to reload. Two, Easy to maintain, fastest gun on the draw. Three, Reliable, Reliable, Reliable.
Why .357 mag? One, your question makes me think seems like you don't really like kick but you like effectiveness in a pistol. Two, very versatile caliber with so many loads to choose from! Three, .357 Mag is STILL the most deadly or effective caliber (by statistics at least in the USA) and has not much recoil in larger frame pistols but lots of knockdown power and penetration. Just as good as those other two and much cheaper...

Congrats, Not a bad price but be sure to check it over well and do plenty of shooting before you carry it, there has been some quality issues before in the past.

thanks for the help guys, and steering my towards getting my first revolver. I looked at the .357 revolvers that my local gun shop had and they were a little out of my price range at least for now. so that is why i got the .38spl revolver that i did it's +p rated and i will be carrying the +p loads in it after i get some rounds through it. going to take it to the range today to see how it shoots. will let you guys know what I think of it. again thanks for your help.

iceman, you may want not want to hear this. If I were expecting to be unemployed, any time soon the last thing in the world I would be worried about is buying a new firearm.

Hope you manage to keep your job, and you are able to buy several new firearms.

Iceman, something you might check out is the Ruger new model Blackhawk convertible. I purchased one last summer in the 357/ 9mm and I have to say that it's a fine little shooter, and you still have the option of the 38 also. I cast and shoot the 9mm / 357. I have to say that it's a joy to shoot.

wcwv, thanks for the help, I will check it out for next time I already found a .38 special revolver that was in my price range. and had the money saved up. but I will look at the ruger blackhawk and see what I think. thanks.

revolver in 38 special. i would like it to be able to be used for target shooting but also be able to be used as a ccw gun also

The new Ruger LCRx 3". 38 Special, for now, maybe 357 Magnum soon. Bigger than the LCR, and with the x model's S/A capability for fun range shooting. But still light, and small enough for carry.

Iceman,

Congrats on the Charter. A bud of mine has one of those. Great little revolver for the money. His saw a lot of practice and he had no complaints.

Sorry for the job loss and I wish you good luck on finding a new one soon.

If the unemployment span is not a long affair, reward yourself with a .40SW. :D I'd highly recommend the Glock 27 or 23. Just bought a lightly used 23 Gen3 the other day for $400.

1 last gun

If I were only able to buy 1 last gun it would be a Glock 23 gen 4 40 cal and get a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel. 2 guns in 1:)

If I were only able to buy 1 last gun it would be a Glock 23 gen 4 40 cal and get a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel. 2 guns in 1:)

And that is what I did recently, knowing I'm not going to buy any guns for a while. G23 gen4. Somehow I shoot it much better then my beloved G17. Can't wait to convert it 9mm and .357 Sig.

Iceman, if you ever get a .40, I think the Beretta 96 Inox is the best one you can have. It has little recoil and the open slide has fewer chances of jamming or stove piping....it's a great gun.

Sorry you may be losing your job. But if losing it means money will be tight, and that's what your question implies, I personally would not be buying a gun just now. Sorry:(

Tuckerdog1

Congrats on the Charter, I hope you enjoy it. Since you were looking for something to CC and enjoy at the range, I was going to suggest a CZ P07. They go for around $475, very reliable, accurate, and would make a decent CC weapon. They are available in .40 S&W, when you are ready for another toy, I suggest giving them a look.

so guys since the place that I work at is probably going out of business this week

Well with Obamanomics... I might think of not buying ANY gun and saving the money for now.

Think about it.

Deaf

Back