buying my last pistol for a while what should I get

iceman320

so guys since the place that I work at is probably going out of business this week. i wanted to get me one last pistol. but I am trying to decide between a semi auto in 40 s&w or a revolver in 38 special. i would like it to be able to be used for target shooting but also be able to be used as a ccw gun also. so guys give me all your thoughts. and thanks in advance.

I know the .357 magnum is not on your list, but that's what I'd get.
That would be the power of .40, plus all the .38 special. For some powerful application full load of .357 magnum available.:)

A 3" (or maybe 4") 38 is versatile.

If you want a 357 instead, it's a little heavier but gives you more ammo options.

I don't have any recommendations but I don't think the choice really matters.

I think I have about 20 "last handguns I'm going to buy" and if I'm honest with my self, I'm sure there will me more "one last handguns" in the future.

One of my friends, who died just this year, bought his 'last' motorcycle and painted "Last One" on the tank.

He was up to "Last One VI" before he died.

"Never" and "Last One" are so temporary... :D

i wanted to get me one last pistol. but I am trying to decide between a semi auto in 40 s&w or a revolver in 38 special. i would like it to be able to be used for target shooting but also be able to be used as a ccw gun also. so guys give me all your thoughts.

My thoughts: for the purposes, either will server.

If you're looking at loss of needed income, I'd worry about an extra gun later.

If the place you are working is going out of business this week, I would buy my "last gun" with money from my next job as a reward for getting a new job.

well i already have two 9mm's and a 380 auto all semi autos. no revolvers yet though. the pistol is actually gone to be a late birthday present.

Last edited:
Id say anything in CZ, SIG, COLT, DAN WESSON, or maybe even a nice KIMBER, (if you can get one that runs). Oh yeah, I almost forgot... everyone should have either a GLOCK 19 or 23

For target *and* CCW? I just picked up one of these. Absolutely love it.

second_box.jpg

O.K. Iceman, thanks for answering. I would think you are due for a revolver. A 4" inch barrell seems like a reasonable compromise between CCW and target practice. Petsonally I would bump up to. 357 magnum, a very versatile cartridge, very lethal for personal protection, and yet still can assimilate. 38 Special if necessary.

I am fond of S&W, and think a 686 is the ultimate. But there could be better, modern choices; shop around.

hmmm....last paycheck for awhile, going to buy a pistol...

price range? hi-point or Kimber range?

in .40 for an expensive gun, I would want the P239 DAK

in a cheaper gun, I would want the Taurus PT140 gen 2

just hope taxes won't be subsidizing this pistol.

It is kind of like saying what kind of car should I buy.

It is a personal decision based on your preferences. There are several trigger configurations, several safety device options, several different sizes, different materials, etc.

At this point there are 19 posts. I bet between us we have over a hundred different guns, ( I have over 20 ). I doubt if we would be able to agree on what a perfect gun for you would be.

Last edited:
How about a Ruger LCR 9mm. Small carry revolver that you already have ammo for. That's probably my next one.

Back