[Buying My First Revolver] Please help me in Narrowing the Field Somewhat.

It's been mentioned...

But let me reinforce a few ideas that have been presented.

There are really only two reasonably priced companies that represent the double-action american revolver and thats Ruger and S&W. If you were looking for a single action and had a budget of closer to $700-$1000 then I would point you to Colt, but thats not your gig.

So Ruger versus S&W... I own revolvers from both companies.

As far as S&W goes...
<political rant>I am of the camp that we shouldn't encourage other gun companies to make agreements with the government limiting our right to bear arms, and S&W is the most agregious violater of that currently. Yes it's politics, but as consumers and citizens we have very little means to be heard and voting with our dollars is about the only way to make a gun company pay attention. That being said, I would encourage you to look at a pre-agreement S&W if thats the way you decide to go. </political rant>

I find that S&W makes a finely machined revolver that is a joy to own and play with. I think their Autos are mediocre, personally, but their inovation and niche guns in the revolver line are second to none. They are not overly built, but instead enginered with an eye for fulfilling their stated purpose with an economy of weight and a clean execution. Unfortunately their price indicates the value that the company (and their customers) put on that blend of attributes.

As far as Ruger goes...
I think you are making a BIG mistake to write off Ruger. Now let me tell you my perspective. My first Auto was a Ruger .40cal, mainly because that was what was in my budget and I had owned a .357 Blackhawk and a .22 Singlesix with good results. To put it mildly that Ruger auto (P92?) was a mediocre piece. It never fed Federal hollow-points and failed to go into battery at least once out of every 2 clips with FMJ. I hated it and it turned me sour on Ruger. I replaced it with an HK USP45 and have never bought another Ruger auto since. SO... I am NOT a Ruger fan when it comes to their autos.

BUT

IMHO, their revolvers are the strongest, most reliable mass-produced revolvers you can buy, at any price. It just so happens that they are also affordable. I have owned four Ruger revolvers and without an exception every one worked out of the box flawlessly. They have classic lines and are overbuilt almost to the point of silliness. There is a REASON that Linebaugh and Bowen, not to mention just about every other major revolver customizer wants to start with your supplied Ruger frame. These are revolvers that you could shoot a double-charged load of 45 colt and not worry about the gun failing (just yanking the front sight out of your forehead!). Most handloading guides have recipies for both .45colt and "Ruger only" 45colt. There are no recipies for "S&W only" or for "Taurus only".

The point being that Rugers are a VERY RESPECTED american revolver manufacturer. I think you will do yourself a massive disservice to equate their Automatic pistol designs and quality to their revolver quality. Its just not the same ballpark. Hell, its not the same sport!

As far as your choice goes, go shoot some!

I know that even though I own and like pistols from both companies, I would buy Ruger if I could only have one.

If I was only buying factory loads I would look at a .44 magnum Redhawk in stainless with a 4-6" barrel. I believe these have no problems firing .44 special for plinking and the gun will handle the hotest .44 mags you can buy with relative ease. Another choice would be a .357magnum. These are a BLAST to shoot out of a longer barreled gun (my 6 1/2" blackhawk will consistently shoot 12" groups at 200yds with the right holdover!!!), and have the option of .38special loadings for cheap plinking.

If I was loading my own, its hard to beat the .45 colt loading. Its the pentultimate american large-caliber where history is concerend. You can load that round from mild (shoots like a factory .38) to WILD (more power than a .44 magnum!) and only one mass-market .45colt can handle that level of loading and thats Ruger.

Not to say S&W is any slouch, and I think they are fantastic guns. They just dont have the versitility that Ruger does IMHO. If you are looking for a light-weight carry gun with flawless action and a great triger for self-defense purposes without the extra ounces that an overbuilt Ruger has, S&W is the finest american made mass market revolver. I would again urge you to consider the political ramifications of buying a new Smith though, and hope you would support the rest of us by buying a pre-agreement one.

Hope all this helps!

JT

as usual, IMHO, YMMV, FWIW, and all that...

Last edited:
A retired police revolver in the used gun market may be your best bet to stay within your budget. Here are two good choices.

Colt Official Police revolver .38 Special

S&W M10 (military & police) revolver .38 Special

The .38 Special is a fine cartridge for target shooting, plinking, and defense. Inexpensive too.

Hmm, first revolver (possibly only one), accurate (as you wish to use it only for fun), American owned. I haven't been here long but I wonder if anyone can guess my suggestion :) .

Definately go with .357 mag. It is a very versatile caliber gun. You can shoot cheap, low recoil .38spl target rounds through full strength self-defense or even hunting strength .357s. Can't beat that. Given your original price range you may also want to consider dedicated .38s as they are somewhat cheaper (it is probably the most versatile caliber round- low cost, low recoil target wadcutters, mid range ammo, relatively effective regular pressure self defense rounds to full strength, highly effective +Ps).

My favorite such gun would be my S&W model 65LS (see one here). It has a 3" barrel so if you ever change your mind about carrying it you could easily conceal it, yet despite the short barrel it is probably the most accurate gun I've ever shot (my 1911 is close however). It looks great and is well balanced. It is heavy enough that you can shoot .357 mag rounds comfortably yet with the K-frame (medium frame) and 3" barrel it's not overly heavy (once again) in case you should change your mind about carry. New it is a bit over your original limit (probably $400-450 in most locations, just over $450 here, certainly in the $400-500 range), though used a S&W 65 would probably be right there (you may even find the 65LS used if you're lucky).

Even though they aren't American made you should also consider Taurus. They make great revolvers based on S&W designs but modified/improved (things like a coil mainspring for instance). They are probably $50-150 less than comparable S&Ws and you don't have the political baggage (assuming you are interested in that). They make so many good .38 and .357 models I don't know where to start. You can easily get a new .38 (the 4" model 82) from them for under $300 (well under in some areas). The model 65 in .357 should be just around $300 in most areas (the MSRP range is $345-395), the Model 66 carries 7 shots (though it is a little more expensive), and the Model 627 Taurus Tracker is worth checking out too (though the price is near S&W levels).

Like everyone else said, you should also reconsider your wish to stay away from Ruger. They make some of the strongest revolvers out there. If you are SURE that you will not change your mind about carry the Ruger GP100 is capable of handling any ammo you may use and will probably NEVER wear out. Though people do, it may be a bit heavy for carry (at any rate there are better designs for that that are reasonably strong, much lighter and somewhat smaller).

Beyond_Visual_Range,

Might not be a bad idea to go to the gun range and see if you can rent them to try out. See what feels good to you. Since it's going to be the only revolver that you own, I would do my home work on it before buying. The most important thing is that you get what you like and what you shoot well. Just a thought.

QUESTION

Just though of something else,

Why only one?

Just like autos revolvers have many different flavors. There really isn't such a thing as "one that is representative of the revolver breed." You've got target guns, small snubbie pocket guns, service revolvers, single action big hunting guns, double action big hunting guns, single action historical replicas (and near replicas), blackpowder guns, and many that don't quite fit into one catagory. It's like saying that you want one rifle that is representative of rifles. I have a feeling that you'll become just as addicted to revolvers as you are to autos. Add to the many kinds the fact that they are usually a bit less than comparable quality autos (especially on the used market- there are many GREAT used revolver deals out there) and how can you resist?

Of course I do get what you're talking about. You THINK you will only own one revolver so you want a service revolver- one that seems to be a "typical" revolver. So all my previous suggestions still stand. These work for either an only or a first revolver.

Last edited:
I agree with the others that a 686+ (7 shots) is my all around favorite. Has the best of all worlds: sweet trigger, swallows full house loads continuously without worry, accurate as any 4" barrel there ever was and relatively affordable. If you are only going to own one, such would be my choice. Cheers, Cryoman

Back