Buying my first Full Auto

BTW, the noncontrollability/climb of F/A is a myth that needs to stop.

Absolutely. I got into it with a "macho man" who posted a Youtube video of him shooting his FAL in full auto, and then saying how hard it was to control and only a really strong guy like himself (:p) could manage it.

Well, naturally, given my nature, I couldn't let that BS slide, so I told him that not only did I have no problem controlling my L1A1, but my very small slightly built retired Federal agent friend of mine didn't find it hard to control either. He didn't like that. Must have burst his manly bubble. LOLL!!!!!

I mentioned in one of my previous posts that I got sick of old timers coming up to my table at gun shows and starting to relay the story of how, when they fought in the Pacific, they had to hold their Thompsons sideways so the muzzle would sweep laterally instead of vertically. Right then and there, I knew they were probably ship's cooks and never fired a weapon during the war.:D

BTW, the noncontrollability/climb of F/A is a myth that needs to stop.

I can't speak for all full autos, but the two 5.56 guns that I've shot (M16 and my AC556) are very easy to control and hit what you aim at. Now, if you are doing 30 round mag dumps, ehhh, maybe not so much!

The AR-15, M16, and M16 based rifles are fairly controllable in FA fire; that is why the M16 was adopted to replace the M14, which wasn't.

As to climb, climb is caused by the tendency of any recoiling rifle to rotate around its own center of gravity. If the CG is high, and the barrel is in a straight line with the shoulder, there is little or no climb except what the shooter causes by his upper body moving back and pulling the rifle upward. If the CG is low, the barrel will come back, the rifle will pivot on the CG and the muzzle will rise.

So, the controllability of a rifle in FA fire depends on the rifle. It is not a myth, nor is it inevitable. I once witnessed an an Army demo of the M14, designed to show that it was controllable in FA fire. It was, but the shooters were both experienced and roughly the size of Abrams tanks, not the average GI.

Jim

I once witnessed an an Army demo of the M14, designed to show that it was controllable in FA fire.

If my memory serves me correctly ( and it may not) didn't Ordnance try to correct that whole fiasco with the XM15?

Has the OP purchased his first MG yet? How about some pics?

About four or five years ago, I purchased my first MG. I've evolved to the point where I now own belt feds, but I still remember my first buying experience.

If you have any further questions, please ask.

Pull down your budget

Correct me if I'm wrong OP, but seeing 92 at the end of you name gives me the belief you are currently at 23 years of age.

Prices on machine guns are going up - so get one. Regardless of what you inherited; however, I would certainly abstain from a $37,000 machine gun. A gentleman last week on uzitalk got a Sten Mkiii and registered receiver M16 (fully transferable) for $12,500 total.

While that buyer effectively won the lottery, there is no handheld gun that costs 37,000 in NFA land. Additionally, I would try to find a very durable item, with lots of replacement parts, and use the surplus to invest in a property downpayment.

I say that because a downpayment will allow you to build wealth in a home and buy / have more later due to avoiding rent and being able to deduct interest (of which interest is incredibly low).

Buy a good conditioned Vector Uzi, a can, bunch of mags and replacement parts for ~$12,000 and invest the rest.

Sears are nice, but it's less metal the machinist can work with if something goes wrong...also some bolt riding issues, added gun smithing, etc. Go the receiver path

Back