buying bulk ammo

aggiejrc

Howdy guys!!

Tell me, do ya'll buy in bulk when you buy ammo? Where do ya'll go to get it? Over the internet or from a local shop? I'm just curious, i've seen decent deals at ammoman.com but am unsure about buying over the internet. Is the ammo good, old, rejects? How long will 500 or 1000 rounds last ya'll?

Thanks for ya'lls input.

Aggiejrc

Texas A&M University

I buy mostly in bulk, mail order. Sometimes via the internet, sometimes just picking up the phone. Never ordered from ammoman, but have heard good things. I have ordered ammo from J&G Sales, KY Imports, Midway, Centerfire Systems, etc. Never had a problem. Just watch out for the shipping costs -- lead is HEAVY.

Now I reload most of what I shoot. I order some of the components over the internet (bullets and brass). I get the powder and primers locally as the hazmat fees increase shipping costs.

M1911

Bulk ammo......

ammo comes in lots smaller than 1,000 rounds? Whoda thunk. LOL Most of my ammo is bought in bulk through both my local 'smith or over the net. Ammoman is a good source.

I usually use ammoman or Natchez SS.
With ammoman shipping is free and if you order in the a.m. you should get next day delivery. Order by the case,it's cheaper and you don't have to reorder as often.
Ronin

The main things to look for when buying ammo in bulk are shipping and credit card fees. Ammoman has neither, and great service. Natchez does charge for shipping, but some of their deals work out to be just as good (depending on where they're shipping to). One of the advantages of Natchez is that you can buy smaller amounts, to check out the ammo in your guns before you spring for a whole case. Ammoman, by contrast, sells mostly cases and half cases only.

Generally speaking, you don't want to go for the cheapest ammo available at these sites without knowing why it's so cheap. For example, Wolf ammo is really cheap, but it's steel-cased, which some guns don't like. Some cheap surplus ammo can be corrosive, meaning that you have to clean your barrel with ammonia after shooting it. I personally would rather spend a few dollars more and get something I know is reliable, like Federal American Eagle, rather than save a few bucks and deal with the possible aggravation of feed failures, light primer strikes. etc.

I buy it by the case on the net. no problems so far. I agree with every one, watch the shipping cost. Sam

I just went in for half a case of 30 Carbine ammo from Claflin cartridge Inc. The case was $160 +$15.50 S&H is Sellier&Bellot brass case reloadable non-corrosive. Most dealers in my area want $220 per case of 1000rds. They have a web site at http://www.ammodeal.com losts of other cal there too. Most of it is Sellier & Bellot 1000rd S&B .45 for $160 too!!! brass....reloadable..Ect. This ammo company S&B is good from what I hear. Any imput from anybody!? Opinions always welcome!---Hope that this helps...DAROGUE1

Ag to Ag, Ammoman is a good bet. You know up front what it will cost you because his prices include shipping. Check Cheaper than Dirt out of Fort Worth. Even with state sales tax and shipping you might get a better price on some items, such as we did with .45 acp hydrashok ammo in the 50 round box. After shipping and tax, we saved $7 a box over Ammoman.

Ammoman has always done what was promised. If I ordered something, then it was in stock, no problem. The stuff takes 5 business days to arrive, consistently, from him to here in north Texas. If I order on Monday early, I get it the next Monday. Ammoman has never screwed up an order for me either.

You might find some better prices. It just depends on the caliber, maker, etc. As already stated, be sure to check shipping charges and with in state stuff, sales tax. Remember it isn't the price of the product, but the PRICE TO YOU that counts.

DNS '01

I buy mine in 1K cans from Georgia Arms. I don't need to hassle with shipping or hazmat fees since they have tables at every local gunshow so I pick up what I need there....... Dan in GA

darougue1,

I, too, bought a few cases when I saw the deals that Claflin Cartridge was offering. I prefer S&B ammo anyway since it's very reliable and consistant. Their deal on 9mm and .45ACP could not be beat even with the shipping charge so I got a case of each. I'll use them again.

Joe

A word of caution!
A friend ordered 5,000 rounds (stocked up while ammo was on sale) over the internet. A reputable dealer, all legit, he's ordered from them many times but in the 1-2,000 round order range.
BUT, a day or so after he placed this 5,000 round order, ATF showed up and asked to talk to him. He had the opportunity to open his safe, show the gentlemen his paperwork (bill of sales, permit applications, etc) and he said they were very friendly. Of course his ducks were in a row. I have ordered up to 3,000 rounds at once before with no uninvited visitors. I suggest the "ATF Tickler" may be between 3-5,000 rounds. Just food for thought. If you are concerned, call ATF.

I have ordered from Ammoman and had nothing but fantastic customer service with them. I have ordered online each time and the shipping is free. Good prices too.

I've ordered from lots of places on the 'net and almost always had very good service. This includes: Ammoman, Cheaper Than Dirt, J&G Sales, Georgia Arms, Cole Distributing, Century Arms Int'l, Shooterz.com, and probably others.

I guess I've never ordered more than 3k at a time, but I'd be very interested to hear more about the alleged ATF visit. Did they have any kind of warrant? WTF?!? I met a guy at the range who shoots more than 50k rounds/year - of course he reloads - I wonder if he ever gets any strange visits...

Well, my buddy was surprised but volunteered to show them around. I don't know if a warrent was issued, it was not produced and the visit was totally voluntary and I'm told they were very polite too. I have no other info... but it certainly happened and my friend told me the agents (2) told him it was triggered by the ammo. purchase. I can't offer any more...I hope this answers your question. I don't think I'd have done anything different. If he'd evaded the questions he might have gotten served on the spot. Or served later if they felt he fit the "profile", what ever the "profile" is.
My reply to this post was only meant to provide ammo purchasers information...not to create paranoia or needless worry. I've heard for years that large ammo orders were tracked, this small incident provided me with verification.

Right after I finish building the fence through the "wetland", I'm tempted to place a huge order, just to check this out. Huh. Once again it's that dang Feral Gubbamint. But just joking folks... I can't afford 5,000 rounds .45 cal HydraShok.

Back