Buying a used bolt action.

Good stuff Moose ... hope you enjoy your new bang stick and you're welcome over at Surplus any time should you need any help or assistance with military bolt guns. :)

Tiki.

Sorry I'm a little late in the game, but here's a couple thoughts when buying anything used.

Go in with the right mindset. If I'm actually considering a purchase, I stop admiring what I like about it. I shift gears and start thinking "there are issues with this rifle; I just have to look hard enough to find them."

You'll find some. It's a matter then of whether it'll still make you happy and what price is reasonable.

Besides the bore, muzzle, boltface, I look for signs of abuse (pitting, buggered screws), cracks in the stock (not all are a big deal), etc. It's not really that hard.

Or a white piece of paper will show you the same thing. I have a rifle right now that yall can all ponder over and I am sure 95% of you will say the bore is good. It looks good. It actually looks wonderful. Its not. Its shot out. My rule for buying used is "dont pay more than the action is worth." That is unless I can get a buy back guarantee from the seller. I have had to sell some back over the years.

I always like to look closely at the feed ramp, this tells me a little about the mileage. And yes I like to look down the bore, but with the naked eye I can't see erosion to the leade,. That feed ramp tells me a lot of what I'm lookin for, along with the bolt face and the lugs.

Back